U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 PM

703 posts, read 691,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Yes, and everywhere else in society.
I don't believe this is extremely common.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:35 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,481,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was spanked as a kid. I don't necessarily have anything against spanking. But I will tell you that it made me cry more and made me cry harder and made me cry louder. Spanking is not the answer.
Exactly. Parents took the kids outside to be spanked. Kinda hard to do in an airplane.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Exactly. Parents took the kids outside to be spanked. Kinda hard to do in an airplane.
And would, as I said before, make you look like you were a backwoods person, and attract unnecessary attention. Do you really want to be the one on YouTube spanking your kid? The comments would be furious.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,171,341 times
With an infant, no, or kids with ear aches or aren't feeling well for whatever reason, no.

With older kids who are just spoiled, bored and acting out, YES.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:17 PM

3 posts, read 1,627 times
here's some tips you can use to negate screaming experiences:

1. fly first class-very few people on a "family package" can afford to fly up front. Fares are generally dropping for FC nowadays, so it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

2. if you're on the ground and kids are starting to go wild, and especially if you're in a premium cabin and/or if you're of a high status (Delta Platinum/Diamond, United Premiere 1K/Global Services, American Airlines Platinum,etc.), flag down a flight attendant and tell him or her that you will not be giving an airline your business if such events transpire on future flights. The airline would much rather have a high status FF or frequent premium cabin flyer than some mother who flies on dirt cheap cheapfares.net routings once a year.

3. avoid MCO at all costs.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:28 PM

305 posts, read 516,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
How about sedating the screaming child with Benadryl? It works! We wouldn't tolerate an adult flipping out on a flight. I've seen kids running up and down the aisles. Just ridiculous. Drive if you can't keep your offspring under control.

I was once on a 12 hour flight with my 2 year old, running up and down the aisles was what kept her from screaming.

Perhaps gagging would have been a better choice to exert my control over her?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 PM

3 posts, read 1,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
I was once on a 12 hour flight with my 2 year old, running up and down the aisles was what kept her from screaming.

Perhaps gagging would have been a better choice to exert my control over her?
: smack:

Old 06-20-2014, 03:32 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,159,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoee View Post
here's some tips you can use to negate screaming experiences:

1. fly first class-very few people on a "family package" can afford to fly up front. Fares are generally dropping for FC nowadays, so it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

2. if you're on the ground and kids are starting to go wild, and especially if you're in a premium cabin and/or if you're of a high status (Delta Platinum/Diamond, United Premiere 1K/Global Services, American Airlines Platinum,etc.), flag down a flight attendant and tell him or her that you will not be giving an airline your business if such events transpire on future flights. The airline would much rather have a high status FF or frequent premium cabin flyer than some mother who flies on dirt cheap cheapfares.net routings once a year.

3. avoid MCO at all costs.
1. FC fares are indeed dropping, to the point where, at the age of 60 and as the owner of a profitable business, I can kinda-sorta justify paying for FC for myself on a flight longer than two hours (but not overseas where FC fares are *not* dropping). For a young family of 4, paying $2500 (used to be $6000) to fly from, say, New York to Miami is a non-starter. A lot of people make that in a month.

2. They won't be able to do a damn thing about it.

3. Avoiding MCO is a good rule for life in general.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
With an infant, no, or kids with ear aches or aren't feeling well for whatever reason, no.

With older kids who are just spoiled, bored and acting out, YES.
Why would mature kids act immature for no reason?

Old 06-20-2014, 05:41 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,295,021 times
Well if the mom is "shhhh-ing" the kids, and it's not working, what else do you expect her to do? Kids do not always comply with their parents' requests.

I feel like noise is part of the airplane experience. Babies often cry because of the noise, or the pressure in their ears. Sometimes noise is simply unavoidable.

I am a parent, and I feel like, as long as the parent is making an earnest effort to keep their kids quiet and content, whether or not the child complies is irrelevant. You can't MAKE the kids do anything, especially at those young ages. Hitting them would only succeed in making them cry harder, and there is no place on an airplane to remove a child to get them to calm down. All a parent can do is try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or