Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I totally understand. I have a friend that would be mortified by this as well. I happen to love kids and for me it was fun because I'm never really around babies much. It sure made a boring flight much more interesting. As for staying home it may not be an option. What if they're taking the kids with to visit a dieing grandparent? Sometimes life isn't always all about us and we have to share our space with intrusive people and their noise. It is what it is. Might as well try to find a way to make the best of it.
Like I said, don't expect others to take care of your kids, regardless of the situation. Bring someone along to help if you need to. Pay someone to come if that's what it takes. But do not expect others to babysit your kids. (The term your not meaning you specifically).

If someone asked me to help entertain their child, I'd tell them sure. $200 an hour, payable in cash, up front.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:39 AM

703 posts, read 870,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Like I said, don't expect others to take care of your kids, regardless of the situation. Bring someone along to help if you need to. Pay someone to come if that's what it takes. But do not expect others to babysit your kids. (The term your not meaning you specifically).

If someone asked me to help entertain their child, I'd tell them sure. $200 an hour, payable in cash, up front.
That's going a little too far.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Give me a reason you HAVE to go to a restaurant, or a movie, or a play, or the beach, or a theme park, or a National Park, or really any place other than where you work and where you live and where you need to conduct your life-sustaining errands (grocery store, medical office, etc.) You don't HAVE to go to those places, you WANT to. And those of us with kids WANT to go to these places as well.

And we will. Whether you like it or not.
If you take your kids to a restaurant, play, or movie and they become disruptive, management will pack your food and send you out the door. Actually most plays won't even admit kids under a certain age--usually 6 or 8. Can't do that on a plane.

My doctor doesn't see children or allow parents to bring children to the office.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Except shoving something foreign and uncomfortable into their ears can often cause them to cry ... then what's the point?
Start getting them used to it before the trip and make a big deal like they are special so they aren't bothered by them.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
If you take your kids to a restaurant, play, or movie and they become disruptive, management will pack your food and send you out the door. Actually most plays won't even admit kids under a certain age--usually 6 or 8. Can't do that on a plane.

My doctor doesn't see children or allow parents to bring children to the office.
I used to hate people who didn't let kids in, when I was a kid. lol

I've never seen many places ban kids, though. That must be a local things in your area.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Because people with lots of money have kids that don't cry?
No, people with lots of money take private planes.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
No, people with lots of money take private planes.
Exactly. Whether it be Cessna, or Learjet.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
I was once on a 12 hour flight with my 2 year old, running up and down the aisles was what kept her from screaming.

Perhaps gagging would have been a better choice to exert my control over her?
Perhaps bringing things along for her to play with and keep her entertained would have been a better choice?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Perhaps bringing things along for her to play with and keep her entertained would have been a better choice?
Exactly, but some people, for some odd reason, think it's cute. idk why, but I don't think we've evaluated this just yet.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Why would mature kids act immature for no reason?
Because their parents are idiots and allow poor behavior. I've seen it--about two years ago on a red-eye back from California in first class no less. Two sets of parents drank themselves silly then passed out within the first hour or so while their 5-9 year old's ran around the cabin, threw things at each other, and generally raised hell for the first three hours of the flight until around 2:00 am Pacific time they finally fell asleep.

I should have gone back to coach, it would have been a better flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel