U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 06:55 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Well if the mom is "shhhh-ing" the kids, and it's not working, what else do you expect her to do? Kids do not always comply with their parents' requests.

I feel like noise is part of the airplane experience. Babies often cry because of the noise, or the pressure in their ears. Sometimes noise is simply unavoidable.

I am a parent, and I feel like, as long as the parent is making an earnest effort to keep their kids quiet and content, whether or not the child complies is irrelevant. You can't MAKE the kids do anything, especially at those young ages. Hitting them would only succeed in making them cry harder, and there is no place on an airplane to remove a child to get them to calm down. All a parent can do is try.
If the kid is two or older, they understand the concept of inside voices and understand "shhh" and if they've been properly raised, will obey, particularly if the parent has things for them to do to stay quietly occupied.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 AM

703 posts, read 692,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because their parents are idiots and allow poor behavior. I've seen it--about two years ago on a red-eye back from California in first class no less. Two sets of parents drank themselves silly then passed out within the first hour or so while their 5-9 year old's ran around the cabin, threw things at each other, and generally raised hell for the first three hours of the flight until around 2:00 am Pacific time they finally fell asleep.

I should have gone back to coach, it would have been a better flight.
well, that's because their parents drank themselves lol. no more than two drinks should be permitted .

Old 06-20-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Oh, I can amuse them all right. But we're going to be talking, and we're going to be moving, and you're going to haaaaaate it. Even more when I start in on the forty ninth rendition of Old MacDonald and we're still only nine hours into the flight. And when I discipline them for throwing their drink on you and they spend the whole four minutes of the time out screaming about the injustice. And when they get annoyed because sibling used all the orange beads for their necklace. Ooh, and my favourite, the poor loser in a game of cards. So fun! So loud! And the exercise breaks as we tour the cabin, of course, because those legs are going to be moving one way or the other, and it's either into the back of your seat or around the cabin.

But, as I said, people who criticise kids for being normal kids and then criticise the parents for using electronics to try and force unnatural stillness out of them for a flight have shown themselves to be both undeserving of consideration and unable to recognise it when they're receiving it.

This one time I got a dirty look for running my kids before we boarded. Some people are just irredeemably dumb.
Personally I think it's a great idea to run the kids ragged before boarding. I wouldn't give a dirty look for that, unless you were doing it in a crowded area and bumping into people or causing people to have to dodge out of the way.

All of those other behaviors are things that well behaved kids don't have a problem with, because good parenting doesn't include the every kid should get a ribbon mentality. They accept that sometimes they lose, they share nicely, and they certainly don't throw food or drinks. (That's a good reason to get a plane landed and your family kicked off and banned)

I never said I had a problem with people talking, in fact I've said as long as it was inside voices it's fine. There are other ways to communicating and entertaining that doesn't involve obnoxious behavior like singing. How would you like it if I sat next to your kid and dropped the f-bomb every other word in my sentences. Equally annoying, right?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
What do you mean?
Quote me without the editing and figure it out.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Quote me without the editing and figure it out.
I'm still not comprehending.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
That's going a little too far.
No it's not. I am not a babysitter. When I fly I am often working, and don't have the time to babysit as I have proposals to finish and emails to respond to. Taking time from my work costs me money. If someone wants me to babysit, they better be prepared to compensate me for the lost productivity.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
No it's not. I am not a babysitter. When I fly I am often working, and don't have the time to babysit as I have proposals to finish and emails to respond to. Taking time from my work costs me money. If someone wants me to babysit, they better be prepared to compensate me for the lost productivity.
that could have been spent sleeping, or doing something less product by the thought that you wouldn't instead just be procrastinating?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I used to hate people who didn't let kids in, when I was a kid. lol

I've never seen many places ban kids, though. That must be a local things in your area.
Have you never been to a Broadway show or a West End show? They have age restrictions. Movie theaters sometimes bar kids from certain time frames, and management will kick out anyone being disruptive--kids or adults. Most restaurants will also give the boot to disruptive patrons regardless of age. Most Michelin starred restaurants won't accept bookings for children under 6, 10, or 12. It's not just a local thing, it's the way things are done all over!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
well, that's because their parents drank themselves lol. no more than two drinks should be permitted .
One an hour would be a better metric. Two drinks on a 12 hour flight might be a bit slim.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Have you never been to a Broadway show or a West End show? They have age restrictions. Movie theaters sometimes bar kids from certain time frames, and management will kick out anyone being disruptive--kids or adults. Most restaurants will also give the boot to disruptive patrons regardless of age. Most Michelin starred restaurants won't accept bookings for children under 6, 10, or 12. It's not just a local thing, it's the way things are done all over!
I've never seen restaurants go that far, in our out of place you've never been.

Quote:
One an hour would be a better metric. Two drinks on a 12 hour flight might be a bit slim.
Still too many for one flight, and it's already getting to become a big issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or