U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 03:04 PM

14,190 posts, read 6,426,756 times

Advertisements

Someone else brought up obnoxious adult behavior examples. Right, that would annoy me as well. Annoying behavior is annoying behavior, regardless if it comes from a kid or an adult. So why are some getting offended that there are some who are annoyed by that kid, simply because it's a kid?

Old 06-20-2014, 03:09 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,908,409 times
1) A plane is a common carrier. A child who has had a fare paid for them has exactly the same rights to be on the plane as anyone else.

2) Children are not little adults. Sometimes they do childish things.

3) Adults can try to address these childish behaviors. There is no guarantee of success.

4) If a parent is cycling through all of the tricks to get the kid to behave and none are working your annoyance at his or her failure will not change the situation.

5) If you cannot deal with state of affairs you are free to charter a private airplane to avoid children.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,985,953 times
Parents do not have an obligation to keep kids "quiet" any more than bros and sorostitutes have an obligation to stop talking about screwing doggy style with several different partners while downing 5 gallons of alcohol. On my last flight back from Hawaii a few U of O college students decided to recount their trip in livid detail.

"Oh my god Lindsay is such a ***** " "Dude I drank so much that night I like ****ing passed out." "Oh god bro that pu$$ was so rank dude but I hit it anyway." "I wouldn't fu%$ her but I'd let her blow me" After 30 minutes I finally got up and asked them to please use more appropriate language there are kids sitting in front of them who can hear every word. They said "okay dude whatever, sorry" 10 minutes later back to the same conversations. Do 20 somethings talk about anything other than getting drunk? It seems like the word fu#k has replaced um. "So yeah dude I was like at %$%ing black rock and I saw a huge ass mako shark, I was like, oh $#%^ dude I gotta like get out, dude it was so sketchballs!

I'm convinced 20 somethings language has degraded to the point of embarrassment. Well, let me rephrase that. Everyone's language has degreaded substantially. Even In first class I couldn't escape THE BROS. LAX flight, go figure. 2 guys wearing tight Hollister T-s and skinny jeans with douchey spiked hair. Their convo was no better than the college kids.

Everyone, behaves crappy on air planes, it's a nasty little confined space. Don't like it? take morning flights of fly first class. Can't get out of bed early enough or afford first class? then **** and deal!

I'm really tired of the war on children.

I have really well behaved children, but when they were little it was impossible to keep them "quiet" or keep them from being scared during turbulence or crying and pitching a fit during decent and landing. I don't like sitting for 5 hours, but I can keep my emotions in check because I'm an adult a 2 - 4 year old can not. A 2 year old has no idea what they want and being on an airplane just makes things worse.

My kids had just as much right to be on a airplane as anyone else. I didn't get a discount or anything I paid full fare for 5 seats every time we flew. I paid $2500 you paid $500. The airline follows the money.

I did my best to keep my kids quiet but when they were under 4, all bets were off, especially later in the flight. Get some noise canceling head phones. Most people hate flying now so now kids just amplify the problem. The airlines cause our misery. 30" inch seat pitches and trying to cram 189 people into a plane that normally carries 160 = a lot of cramped hot, pissed off people already disillusioned by paying so much for so little.

Now my kids are fine on airplanes, but I always feel for that family who gets on and has to instantly be confronted by some douche threatenting them for something they can't really control. To me it has gotten ridiculous. On my last flight from OC some old *******, told the family returning from Disneyland that his children "better be behaved." The kids hadn't even done anything other than be excited kids coming back from Disneyland.

DINKS and single folks really annoy me. You don't want to have kids..your life is so great with wine tasting/bar hopping and your dog and your nieces... yada yada yada, that's fine, but stop the war on children. Oh and quit calling yourself cat or dog "parents." You aren't parents. Putting food in a bowl is not the same as raising a human child.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,468,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You're the expert ... on EVERYTHING.
You even such an expert that you can argue a former FA. Gawd, it must be exhausting being so knowledgeable about EVERYTHING. How on earth can you stand being so amazing?
Well, the CD Gods DID award her $500. She must be "ALL THAT". She's certainly a lot better than some of these wimpy parents who refuse to discipline their kids.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
1) A plane is a common carrier. A child who has had a fare paid for them has exactly the same rights to be on the plane as anyone else.

3) Adults can try to address these childish behaviors. There is no guarantee of success.

4) If a parent is cycling through all of the tricks to get the kid to behave and none are working your annoyance at his or her failure will not change the situation.

5) If you cannot deal with state of affairs you are free to charter a private airplane to avoid children.
Are some of these kids flying for free? Just curious. If the parents claim that they will sit on the parents' laps, but the flight is not full, can the kids claim an empty seat despite that they never paid?

Old 06-20-2014, 04:37 PM

10,510 posts, read 8,428,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Parents do not have an obligation to keep kids "quiet" any more than bros and sorostitutes have an obligation to stop talking about screwing doggy style with several different partners while downing 5 gallons of alcohol. On my last flight back from Hawaii a few U of O college students decided to recount their trip in livid detail.

"Oh my god Lindsay is such a ***** " "Dude I drank so much that night I like ****ing passed out." "Oh god bro that pu$$ was so rank dude but I hit it anyway." "I wouldn't fu%$ her but I'd let her blow me" After 30 minutes I finally got up and asked them to please use more appropriate language there are kids sitting in front of them who can hear every word. They said "okay dude whatever, sorry" 10 minutes later back to the same conversations. Do 20 somethings talk about anything other than getting drunk? It seems like the word fu#k has replaced um. "So yeah dude I was like at %$%ing black rock and I saw a huge ass mako shark, I was like, oh $#%^ dude I gotta like get out, dude it was so sketchballs!

I'm convinced 20 somethings language has degraded to the point of embarrassment. Well, let me rephrase that. Everyone's language has degreaded substantially. Even In first class I couldn't escape THE BROS. LAX flight, go figure. 2 guys wearing tight Hollister T-s and skinny jeans with douchey spiked hair. Their convo was no better than the college kids.

Everyone, behaves crappy on air planes, it's a nasty little confined space. Don't like it? take morning flights of fly first class. Can't get out of bed early enough or afford first class? then **** and deal!

I'm really tired of the war on children.

I have really well behaved children, but when they were little it was impossible to keep them "quiet" or keep them from being scared during turbulence or crying and pitching a fit during decent and landing. I don't like sitting for 5 hours, but I can keep my emotions in check because I'm an adult a 2 - 4 year old can not. A 2 year old has no idea what they want and being on an airplane just makes things worse.

My kids had just as much right to be on a airplane as anyone else. I didn't get a discount or anything I paid full fare for 5 seats every time we flew. I paid $2500 you paid $500. The airline follows the money.

I did my best to keep my kids quiet but when they were under 4, all bets were off, especially later in the flight. Get some noise canceling head phones. Most people hate flying now so now kids just amplify the problem. The airlines cause our misery. 30" inch seat pitches and trying to cram 189 people into a plane that normally carries 160 = a lot of cramped hot, pissed off people already disillusioned by paying so much for so little.

Now my kids are fine on airplanes, but I always feel for that family who gets on and has to instantly be confronted by some douche threatenting them for something they can't really control. To me it has gotten ridiculous. On my last flight from OC some old *******, told the family returning from Disneyland that his children "better be behaved." The kids hadn't even done anything other than be excited kids coming back from Disneyland.

DINKS and single folks really annoy me. You don't want to have kids..your life is so great with wine tasting/bar hopping and your dog and your nieces... yada yada yada, that's fine, but stop the war on children. Oh and quit calling yourself cat or dog "parents." You aren't parents. Putting food in a bowl is not the same as raising a human child.
I was entirely with you until your gratuitous attack on those who are single and/or do not have children. Please don't label everyone in this category as a child-hater. I have no children, but chose to work with kids for over a quarter-century, and care about and advocate for children.

I'm sympathetic to hard-pressed parents on planes and to their stressed kids - but have also seen such parents react very badly to their children's cranky behavior, while these same parents appear to have done nothing to have prepared the children for flying: no small toys, no picture books about planes, no effort to engage and/or distract the child, and so on. Instead, it's "Don't bother me, and if you cry, you'll get it when we're home".

Not cool, not helpful, not smart and not in tune with either the children or fellow travelers.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:44 PM

5,753 posts, read 4,167,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Why would mature kids act immature for no reason?
Have you ever been around bored or tired kids, no matter how mature they are in every day life? They act up or whine.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 PM

7,725 posts, read 9,024,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Oh really? Ask my kids if I have any problem MAKING them do what I ask them to do. Ask the people who would see us in nice restaurants, with our kids only 3 and 5 or such at the time, who would observe us and actually make a point to approach us and say "wow, your kids are really well behaved."

It's simple--you present yourself to your kids as a dominant force so overwhelming that they have no chance against it, and with consequences that are painful--yes, PAINFUL--if they cross you. "You're parenting by intimidation?" I don't care. It works, that's all I care about (and no, there are no bruises or other marks). Besides, I always try it the "nice" way first, with careful and compassionate reasoning and the like, and if that works, that suits me just fine. But if I have to "go there," then "go there" I most certainly will. Enough of this "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" flower-child Kumbayah "respect their feelings" nonsense. Let that child find out real fast who's the boss, and that it's not them.

Problem solved.

And those who see it and don't like it--mind your own business. It's not yours, nor social services' either. You're as much a part of the problem as the "flower child" wuss parents. Those who would dare make such calls, how great it would be for their cell phones to suddenly be inflicted with "exploding battery syndrome."
How many people did you just offend I wonder? This nonPC stuff does work and helps people to become productive citizens.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:07 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,783,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post

Amen, and end thread.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Amen, and end thread.
End thread because YOU say so? Will somebody please answer if these kids are flying for free? What's the age limit to fly free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or