U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,143,429 times

Advertisements

I think parents are obligated to adequately supervise their children no matter where they are.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:26 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,916,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
During non service times I see people doing this all the time. I'm talking about the areas on wide body long hauls where there can be hours on end where the flight attendants are not using the galley.
I agree with the former Flight Attendant. As a current flight attendant, I can tell you that without a doubt, children are N O T welcome to use the galleys as a hang out. Just because there is no service going on, that does not make that space available as a playground/timeout/running around area. You paid for a seat, not a playground. Sorry to sound harsh, but that space is not up for grabs. We do like kids, but we can't allow free use of all areas.

Also, you may recall that in the safety briefing, you are instructed to keep your seat belt fastened at all times, even if the captain turns off the seat belt sign. It is far from unusual to hit unexpected clear-air turbulence, and if that happens, kids can..and DO...become flying objects. This is for your child's safety and the safety of those around them.

I know you might not like what I said, but it is accurate information.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,183,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I agree with the former Flight Attendant. As a current flight attendant, I can tell you that without a doubt, children are N O T welcome to use the galleys as a hang out. Just because there is no service going on, that does not make that space available as a playground/timeout/running around area. You paid for a seat, not a playground. Sorry to sound harsh, but that space is not up for grabs. We do like kids, but we can't allow free use of all areas.

Also, you may recall that in the safety briefing, you are instructed to keep your seat belt fastened at all times, even if the captain turns off the seat belt sign. It is far from unusual to hit unexpected clear-air turbulence, and if that happens, kids can..and DO...become flying objects. This is for your child's safety and the safety of those around them.

Awesome input! Thanks!

I would add that I every time I fly, my instinct is to look around for where the nearest children are (especially on longer flights). When you are flying 6 - 8 hours to Europe or 12 - 13 hours to Japan / China, screaming children could be a disaster, especially when packed in economy class. However, in recent years I have been pretty lucky. In my experience, many parents are doing a decent job of dealing with their children when flying.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:36 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,342,391 times
No, they have absolutely no responsibility to quiet their children, nor to prevent them from running up and down the aisle, plugging up the toilet, etc. The other passengers who are annoyed should stay calm, or quietly correct the errant children. As a famous woman once said, it takes a village to raise a child. The aeroplane is the child's temporary village, whether one likes that or not!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 PM

39,549 posts, read 47,756,756 times
Children are a product of their family environment and the parents are 100% responsible for their actions until they turn 18. It's the law. If children are creating a disturbance of the peace and the parents do nothing about it then those parents can be held responsible.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:36 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,651,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Are you saying your child plays with no toys? Really?

I got creative. I brought chenille pipe cleaners and we made a zoo full of monsters. I brought new Matchbox cars for him to open and play with. I brought a package of foam shapes from the craft store as well which also kept him occupied for an hour or so. Then we used the pipe cleaners and shapes to make a town for the cars to drive through. I spent the entire trip occupying him. That was my job. Not the job of those around me, not the job of the flight attendants, my job.
That's very creative! There are also all sorts of games people could buy for their kids for travel.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,651,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Parents do not have an obligation to keep kids "quiet" any more than bros and sorostitutes have an obligation to stop talking about screwing doggy style with several different partners while downing 5 gallons of alcohol. On my last flight back from Hawaii a few U of O college students decided to recount their trip in livid detail.

"Oh my god Lindsay is such a ***** " "Dude I drank so much that night I like ****ing passed out." "Oh god bro that pu$$ was so rank dude but I hit it anyway." "I wouldn't fu%$ her but I'd let her blow me" After 30 minutes I finally got up and asked them to please use more appropriate language there are kids sitting in front of them who can hear every word. They said "okay dude whatever, sorry" 10 minutes later back to the same conversations. Do 20 somethings talk about anything other than getting drunk? It seems like the word fu#k has replaced um. "So yeah dude I was like at %$%ing black rock and I saw a huge ass mako shark, I was like, oh $#%^ dude I gotta like get out, dude it was so sketchballs!

I'm convinced 20 somethings language has degraded to the point of embarrassment. Well, let me rephrase that. Everyone's language has degreaded substantially. Even In first class I couldn't escape THE BROS. LAX flight, go figure. 2 guys wearing tight Hollister T-s and skinny jeans with douchey spiked hair. Their convo was no better than the college kids.

Everyone, behaves crappy on air planes, it's a nasty little confined space. Don't like it? take morning flights of fly first class. Can't get out of bed early enough or afford first class? then **** and deal!

I'm really tired of the war on children.

I have really well behaved children, but when they were little it was impossible to keep them "quiet" or keep them from being scared during turbulence or crying and pitching a fit during decent and landing. I don't like sitting for 5 hours, but I can keep my emotions in check because I'm an adult a 2 - 4 year old can not. A 2 year old has no idea what they want and being on an airplane just makes things worse.

My kids had just as much right to be on a airplane as anyone else. I didn't get a discount or anything I paid full fare for 5 seats every time we flew. I paid $2500 you paid $500. The airline follows the money.

I did my best to keep my kids quiet but when they were under 4, all bets were off, especially later in the flight. Get some noise canceling head phones. Most people hate flying now so now kids just amplify the problem. The airlines cause our misery. 30" inch seat pitches and trying to cram 189 people into a plane that normally carries 160 = a lot of cramped hot, pissed off people already disillusioned by paying so much for so little.

Now my kids are fine on airplanes, but I always feel for that family who gets on and has to instantly be confronted by some douche threatenting them for something they can't really control. To me it has gotten ridiculous. On my last flight from OC some old *******, told the family returning from Disneyland that his children "better be behaved." The kids hadn't even done anything other than be excited kids coming back from Disneyland.

DINKS and single folks really annoy me. You don't want to have kids..your life is so great with wine tasting/bar hopping and your dog and your nieces... yada yada yada, that's fine, but stop the war on children. Oh and quit calling yourself cat or dog "parents." You aren't parents. Putting food in a bowl is not the same as raising a human child.
Obnoxious children grow up to be obnoxious teens and then to be obnoxious adults. Those college kids were never taught to respect others.

And I have kids -- kids can be taught to behave. I usually did cross country car trips, no way would I have put up with kids screaming and running through the car, kicking seats. And those car trips were a whole lot more hours than most airplane trips.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post

And in the seat back magazine they also have tips for preventing DVT, which include getting up and walking around. Sorry, sweetheart, you can't have it both ways. Let me guess, you were the nasty ass FA on the recent AF flight I took who refused to service the cabin outside of the designated meal times because she was too busy reading her trashy romance novel in the jump seat area.

By the way, if carriers actually cared about rug rats becoming flying objects, they would REQUIRE parents to buy a seat and put the kid in an approved car seat. Until that happens, well, like I said, you can't have if both ways.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,432,872 times
I'm thinking that the poster who IS an actual flight attendant would know more than the rest of us. But hey, what do I know.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
It cracks me up that FA's say to keep kids in their seat when the airlines don't require the purchase of a seat for a kid two and under, and provide bassinets for infants in the bulkhead seats on long hauls. The FA's don't require parents to use the safety equipment provided to secure the child--usually either a zipper or tab/strap things that still aren't going to be fool proof, particularly with a small child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or