U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 05:03 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
They can chew gum.

We traveled a lot as kids and we were never screaming and bothering people. My Mom gave us gum and coloring books and games and we sat quietly until the flight was over.

Parents today are oblivious to people around them and do not feel they are obligated to keep their kids quiet. They have a "get over it" attitude.
Have you ever given gum to a 3 year old? They don't always get that you're supposed to keep chewing it. They chew and swallow like every other food. Besides, gum and hard candy are choking hazards, especially in a situation where they can be startled by sudden turbulence.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:20 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,748,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
No you don't. Your clients do, whether directly (billed by you as part of the overall work you perform for them) or indirectly (through your employer), depending on whether you are self-employed or work for someone else. But either way, you are not paying 2,500 non-reimbursible dollars out of your own pocket.

Or, if you are, you really need to renegotiate your compensation package.
You missed the point. It's not who's paying but who is receiving. The airlines care more about his $2500 a month (and mine) than mom's $250 a year. So that's why we board first and get the perks.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:56 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,915,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And in the seat back magazine they also have tips for preventing DVT, which include getting up and walking around. Sorry, sweetheart, you can't have it both ways. Let me guess, you were the nasty ass FA on the recent AF flight I took who refused to service the cabin outside of the designated meal times because she was too busy reading her trashy romance novel in the jump seat area.

By the way, if carriers actually cared about rug rats becoming flying objects, they would REQUIRE parents to buy a seat and put the kid in an approved car seat. Until that happens, well, like I said, you can't have if both ways.
What a revealing and nasty post. How dare you lump all FAs with a broad brush? That would be like me lumping you with the idiots who come to the galley, do yoga for 30 minutes, put their butts into our face so they can "stretch" and relax. The galley is NOT a rest area, a playground, a refuge. How would you like it if I came into YOUR office/work place and started putting my butt into your very limited space??

No, I dont sit and do trashy romance novels,ever, I have a real life outside work. I work HARD AT MY JOB. We just dont like people who come to the galley so they can do every yoga move known to man for as long as they want. No, we do not want you to get a DVT, however the magazine also lists exercises to do IN YOU SEAT to avoid that.

Look, if people are nice, come to the back and stay for maybe 5 minutes, chat nicely, etc...they are welcome. People looking for a playground of any kind are not.

Also, I do think airlines should abandon the whole thing about kids not needing seats. I agree with you. Safety first.

Oh, and please, dont call me sweetheart either here OR on the plane. Kthanks.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,346,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
for a second or two, but when they quiet down they know what will happen if they carry on again. You are forgetting we are not talking about 2 year olds, we are talking about pre schoolers and older. if they have been raised with any discipline they know darn well what mom and dad mean when they say: do you want me to spank you?

So what do you suggest? Push them out the window, send them to their room, give them time out in a corner? To be honest, after about 3 a kid should not need to be threatened on a plane, they should know how to behave.
Exactly! Parents should be able to "cut a look" at a toddler to get them under control!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Have you ever given gum to a 3 year old? They don't always get that you're supposed to keep chewing it. They chew and swallow like every other food. Besides, gum and hard candy are choking hazards, especially in a situation where they can be startled by sudden turbulence.
I agree with this. A sippy cup or cup with a straw or a safety pop are much better options. Not to mention that many kids at that age play with gum and get it all over things.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
What a revealing and nasty post. How dare you lump all FAs with a broad brush? That would be like me lumping you with the idiots who come to the galley, do yoga for 30 minutes, put their butts into our face so they can "stretch" and relax. The galley is NOT a rest area, a playground, a refuge. How would you like it if I came into YOUR office/work place and started putting my butt into your very limited space??

No, I dont sit and do trashy romance novels,ever, I have a real life outside work. I work HARD AT MY JOB. We just dont like people who come to the galley so they can do every yoga move known to man for as long as they want. No, we do not want you to get a DVT, however the magazine also lists exercises to do IN YOU SEAT to avoid that.

Look, if people are nice, come to the back and stay for maybe 5 minutes, chat nicely, etc...they are welcome. People looking for a playground of any kind are not.

Also, I do think airlines should abandon the whole thing about kids not needing seats. I agree with you. Safety first.

Can I be the one to start the slow clap?? PLEEEEASE???

Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,908,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Some of our favorite restaurants now won't seat children under six, period, and have a one strike policy for both children and obnoxious adults. They would rather tick off one guest by nicely packing their meal and sending them out the door than an entire restaurant full of guests. Too bad the airlines don't follow suit.

Before anyone gets their panties twisted, I am not advocating tossing people out the door mid air, but upon landing telling them they aren't welcome on the carrier for a year, refunding the return ticket, and sending them on their way. I guarantee that the first airline with this type of policy will quickly become the most popular carrier, and people will gladly pay a premium price to fly them.
Sigh.

Airlines are a common carrier. You want to avoid kids so badly, charter a plane.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Sigh.

Airlines are a common carrier. You want to avoid kids so badly, charter a plane.
I don't want to avoid kids. Just poorly behaved ones. Airlines ban adults for disruptive behavior on planes, they should do the same for kids. Not a permanent ban, but if a child is overly disruptive, they should be banned for a year.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 AM

3,415 posts, read 3,181,516 times
As someone whose eardrums burst if I don't have eartubes inserted before flying, I can tell you, few things are more painful than ear pressure pain upon a flight's descent, if you have ears that cannot adjust to the pressure. I have permanent hearing loss from bursting my eardrums so often. Now I would never fly without ear tubes. The pain is excruciating, not the minor discomfort most people feel before their ears "pop". I have immense sympathy for babies and young children who start to cry about 30 minutes before landing. I remember the cold sweat as the pain gets more and more intense. Don't force babies and young kids to fly without ear tubes if they have pain. It's cruel.

Brats on the other hand, who are just whining because they are tired, impatient, whatever, that IS annoying.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post

Yoga for 30 minutes in the galley is absurd. I generally only enter the galley for three reasons. One, because it's where the lav is located, two because the FA hasn't been seen or heard from in over an hour and I need some water, third because I am flying in a class that has a self-serve snack bar set up in the galley area.

I don't paint all FA's with the same brush, however it seems that lately many of them have been lazy or have had a bad attitude. I get it that they are pissed about their contract, pissed about work rules (and I think it's absurd that they don't get paid until the cabin door closes--if it costs me an extra $3 for my ticket to change that, so be it), pissed about the latest merger (I'm not thrilled with it either--my status perks have been greatly diluted), the list goes on. But frankly that's not my problem. When they are on the plane, it is their job to be pleasant. Yes, I know that they are primarily there for safety (which is another topic altogether) but they also have customer service responsibilities--notice the word "service."

I've had the best service on the regionals lately. First class on an Embraer isn't exactly first class on a BA long haul, but to be honest, they try a lot harder on the regionals, and are a lot more pleasant. They might not know how to pronounce merlot, and often offer ice cubes for it but most try really, really hard and it shows. I am top tier with my carrier of choice and log over 100K BIS miles per year, but I am not one of those nasty people who expects the FA to wipe my nose, load my luggage, or make chit chat with me. I don't like those "entitled business men" (and they are 99% men) any more than you do. I get on the plane, get in my seat, and quite often sleep through the entire flight. I also give the FA's my magazines and paperbacks--I know most FA's read pretty voraciously and have a hard time keeping fresh material on hand. Town and Country Magazine seems to be particularly appealing for some reason--maybe you all like to "window shop" as much as I do.

By the way, I work HARD AT MY JOB as well, and at the end of a long week, having a FA get ticked because I come into the galley looking for a glass of water after s/he hasn't been through the cabin for 90 minutes--well, s/he can get over it.

I still feel that the galley area is a good place to bring a toddler to let them stretch their legs for a few minutes (outside of service times of course). I'm not suggesting that they stay there the entire flight, but it seems that giving them five minutes of "freedom" to buy an hour of peace when they return to their seat is a small price to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or