U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,165,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
that's why you wear headphones and listen to music on a flight.

It's not enough, sadly. The kicking of the chair, the throwing, the yelling over what headphones can cover... ugh ugh and more ugh

Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 7,726 times
If they are babies, a pacifier will do the trick...There are other things parents can do to settle them down, Tylenol helps sometimes....teaching them how to hold there nose and blow, it alleviates the pain!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Most would agree with your points, which are reasonable. However there are one or two people who are battling to the death over whether any child should ever misbehave, like the person who hates puppies for example :/

This subject has pretty much been beaten to death and I guess there's not much more to say, except maybe to psychoanalyze those few forum participants who have expressed their intolerance for children.
I don't "hate" puppies, your position would be valid if you actually were truthful. I prefer older dogs. Nothing wrong with that.

I also don't advocate banning all children from flights. I never said that, either. In fact I've stated that I've seen well behaved children in flights as well. I do believe that for children who are incredibly disruptive, particularly when the parents either think it's cute, are oblivious, or ignore them, the airline should impose a one year ban on that child flying.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 AM

9,751 posts, read 7,030,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Except shoving something foreign and uncomfortable into their ears can often cause them to cry ... then what's the point?
Having the kids take a drink ( bottle if they're babies), of water or juice can help equalize that pressure in the ears too.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:46 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't "hate" puppies, your position would be valid if you actually were truthful. I prefer older dogs. Nothing wrong with that.

I also don't advocate banning all children from flights. I never said that, either. In fact I've stated that I've seen well behaved children in flights as well. I do believe that for children who are incredibly disruptive, particularly when the parents either think it's cute, are oblivious, or ignore them, the airline should impose a one year ban on that child flying.
But who gets to decide if a child is "incredibly disruptive." As evidenced by this thread, everyone has a different threshold. It seems that to some people, just their very existence is "incredibly disruptive."

Old 06-25-2014, 11:24 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
But who gets to decide if a child is "incredibly disruptive." As evidenced by this thread, everyone has a different threshold. It seems that to some people, just their very existence is "incredibly disruptive."
I'd say that when it gets to the point that an adult would be banned and possibly even arrested. Food throwing, running around when the seatbelt sign is on, injuring another passenger, screaming or yelling (outside of being in pain) after several warnings from flight crew, etc.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:30 AM

241 posts, read 207,103 times
I recently read about etiquette in restaurants and to quiet kids, yes, I agree parents should quiet their kids. If not, the other passengers should have the same right to make equally loud noise and that would not be very pleasant for anyone.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:31 AM

26,352 posts, read 24,507,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
If it had been my kid I would have spanked her right then and there. Whiny ass/screaming kids have no place in public places! Who says that? I say that...and Robert D. Raiford!
Oh but geeze louise, your not supposed to spank kids?

Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 AM

26,352 posts, read 24,507,802 times
If parents are unable to quiet their kids, they shouldn't be parents....wait till those kids get older....whew

Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
They can chew gum.

We traveled a lot as kids and we were never screaming and bothering people. My Mom gave us gum and coloring books and games and we sat quietly until the flight was over.

Parents today are oblivious to people around them and do not feel they are obligated to keep their kids quiet. They have a "get over it" attitude.

When I was moderating a travel forum (on another website), we had this topic come up and it was always the most heavily contested (and moderated) topic outside of elections.

One guy posted "FU, I don't give a s*** about it if my kid is screaming the entire flight and that makes you miserable. He has every RIGHT to be there." Unfortunately, that is the attitude of a small minority of flying parents. I had one several flights ago where the parents ignored a crying baby as the had their headphones on.

I wish we could go back to the days where parents took more responsibility for the behavior of their children but that requires more time and commitment than most parents are ready to give.

Fortunately last night's flight's only distraction was a loud game of "Go Fish" in the seat behind me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or