U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,926,836 times

Advertisements

Absolutely!! I do realize it is sometimes impossible but please make an attempt

Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,926,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I always figured it was a good idea to keep my kid quiet. You never know when 4 hours of shrieking will push some irate passenger over the edge and cause him to strangle your little darling. It's much safer for the child to teach him some manners.

Children should be given a children's decongestant before flying and a mild painkiller (aspirin sort of thing) to help with the pain in their ears.

It's beyond me why all the modern fancy science can't figure out how to pressurize an airplane to the point that it doesn't cause severe agony. I don't have any problem understanding why kids cry on take off an landing. They should, however, be quiet the rest of the flight.
No that's drugging them and does nothing for the ear popping.
What worked for me when my kids were little, the ear popping really bothered my one son, was before we boarded the plane I would put a drop of glycerin in each ear suggested by doctor. It really did work!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:11 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,791,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Whoa, whoa... Let's take those backwoods, NC morals somewhere else.

You don't go and embarrass a kid like that in public.

don't just spank a kid unless you want all the other parents around you to stare at you, and nod their heads throughout the entire flight.
Those backwoods, NC morals worked for me and they worked for my kid. I could care less if it embarrasses her because she won't ever do it again. As for the other parents staring at me, let them stare all they want I could care less. That's what's wrong with the kids today, it's all spare the rod and spoil the child. Everything is given to them on a silver platter. Pathetic.....

Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I sense a bit of exaggeration. A plane "full" of screaming kids, and one mother saying "shhh"? No father along to help?

Nobody wants to hear children cry on a plane, including the parents. But, it happens. Illness, ear problems, long delays etc can all be a cause. What exactly can the parents do at 30,000 feet except try to comfort the child?

We fly regularly, and it just doesn't happen that often. I tend to give the parents a sympathetic look and pop in ear plugs.
Try flying into Orlando on a Friday night or out of it on a Sunday any time of the day in the summer. More kids than should be allowed in one small place at a time outside of the Magic Kingdom or Chuck E Cheese. Southwest is particularly bad for them. Over half of the plane can be made up of kids under 10 on some flights.

Most airlines don't even offer pre-boarding to people with kids out of Orlando anymore, because there are so many kids.

Personally I think parents are obligated to try to keep their children quiet. Many are great--they plan ahead and bring quiet things to keep the child amused. Far too many also don't plan ahead and bring nothing for the kids to play with. Far far too many expect FA's and other passengers to amuse their kids for them.

I get beyond annoyed when someone sits their kid down next to me and expects me to babysit. I'm very good putting in my headphones, picking up my book, and pressing the ignore button.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,168,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
Those backwoods, NC morals worked for me and they worked for my kid. I could care less if it embarrasses her because she won't ever do it again. As for the other parents staring at me, let them stare all they want I could care less. That's what's wrong with the kids today, it's all spare the rod and spoil the child. Everything is given to them on a silver platter. Pathetic.....
You're absolutely right, but they'll still charge you with child abuse. That's what's wrong with our country today.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What do you want them to do?
Bring along things to amuse their children. At that age there are plenty of quiet and clean activities they could do. Making "stuff" out of colorful chenille pipecleaners is one of my all time favorite plane activities for 3-7 year olds. Colorforms, coloring books and crayons, a few new Matchbox cars or a new Polly Pockets set--anything new will keep a kid occupied for awhile. Parents need to engage their kids. If mom or dad plays with them, the kids attention will be held for a lot longer than if mom or dad spend the flight drinking Bloody Mary's with their face in People Magazine.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,850,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
Right ... because there's no better way to stop a child from crying than causing them more physical pain. That's great logic right there.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Who the hell can hear anything on a plane?
Some of the newer planes are very quiet.

Quote:
And isn't that why God invented ear plugs?

Kids will cry, you probably did too when you were little, they don't do it to annoy you, it's usually because they are in discomfort.

Those tiny little ears block really quickly and hurt like hell.

Don't fly if you can't hack it.

I was on a 9 hour overnight flight back from Hong Kong and some DOUCHE up the front LOL'd out loud at his movie the entire 9 hours, regardless of the people trying to sleep around him.

OP are you talking a 9 hour performance, or an hour or so? In which case I'd file your post under "first world problems" which will melt away to nothing once you become a parent yourself.

People shouldn't have to wear earplugs. Parents need to engage and amuse their children. They need to plan ahead, talk about what will happen on the plane, practice using "plane manners" while at home, read books about kids taking plane trips, etc. With a little preparation, a pre-schooler can be a great traveler.

PS--I'm a parent, and we did exactly what I posted above. My child's first plane trip was a long haul at age four, and we had a lot of people praising him at the end of the flight in both directions for how quiet and well behaved he had been.

We did a lot of prep work in between, even talking about the loud noise the toilet makes when it flushes.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Leave the kids at home with whom for what reason?
It is a bit tough to go on a family vacation when leaving part of the family at home.
It is also tough to take the grand children to visit with grand parents when the children are left at home.
It is also tough to have all of your material possessions going across the country on a truck because you are moving and decided to take the children on a plane when you leave the children at the home you no longer own.
It is best if parents do try to quiet their children and keep them entertained however, that is not always possible and parents are not required to leave their children at home just because you think they should.

I find it easier to fly very late night or very early morning and I have never encountered any children on the flights I take during those hours.
It is always nice and quiet and not very many other passengers either.
Try late flights into Orlando on a Friday night. You will eat your words.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Prevention is key! And yes, there are SEVERAL different things you can do to alleviate the pain.

By sucking on something (like a breast or a bottle), babies avoid that awful feeling. Chewing gum helps, too. Then there's the valsava maneuver (hold your mouth and nose closed and blow) and the Frenzel maneuver (pinch your nose, put the tip of your tongue on the back of your front teeth, and swallow with your mouth closed).

Source

EarPlanes seem to help a lot of people, as well as wearing headphones.

Carry some lozenges in your pocket & start sucking on one when they announce to get to your seat & tighten the seat belts. This act of sucking will open your air-passage from your ear to you mouth. This passage will equalize the pressure in your ear & eliminate the pain.

Taking a decongestant, such as Sudafed, Claritin, etc. helps, too (about 45 minutes before take-off).

Of course, these methods should start before they close the cabin door because that's when the pressurizing begins.
We're talking about pre-schoolers here. You don't give OTC decongestants to children unless a doctor tells you to. Lozenges are a choking hazard to kids that age, and breastfeeding isn't going to work either--with rare exceptions, kids that age are long weaned, and have to be fastened into their seat by their seatbelt.

Sucking on something does work, however the appropriate thing to suck on is a sippy cup or juice box. Bring along a sippy cup and ask the FA to fill it with apple juice or water. If the kid no longer uses a sippy cup, a lidded cup from a restaurant with a straw will serve the same purpose. Problem solved--SAFELY.

Last edited by annerk; 06-18-2014 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or