U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:29 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,677,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If I was flying into Orlando, I would EXPECT the plane to be full of children. I would also expect to hear whining, crying, and all the sounds that go along with having a lot of small children in a confined space.
Children need tickets too. I doubt the airlines care whether they make up half the flyers on any given flight.

The OP stated he was on a plane full of screaming kids. Now, it's one child talking through the flight?
I don't have the option as MCO is my home airport. I do try to take very early morning flights out on Monday or Tuesday, and come home mid-afternoon on Friday to avoid the works of the daycare planes.

It sounds to me like there were a lot of kids on the plane, but one in particular was especially annoying to the OP.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 AM

3,765 posts, read 3,514,797 times
A nation of crybabies. (I'm talking about the grownups, now.)

For a quiet flight, try noise-canceling headphones.

I've raised a kid, who is now 9. She's been flying since she was a newborn, and no major problems; she would breast feed in flight, under a blanket, and that seemed to solve the pressure problems. Later on, it was chewing gum--a treat that she doesn't normally get.

Maybe I'm weird, but after having raised a kid, I don't even hear the crying and screaming. What's happened to our society, that people are so impatient and self-centered? Those same impatient people were probably the loudest, angriest screamers when they were little, and obviously have never learned any patience or self-control but continue to bleat out their every complaint over every little thing.

Yeah, some parents are clueless, maybe even the majority of parents, but that's the reality. Just have a drink, slip on the phones, and relax for 90 minutes. You don't even have to turn off your iPod anymore; you can be zoned out from takeoff to landing.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:56 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,787,644 times
Yes. There are exceptions where I have sympathy, if a kid is scared, sick or tired.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 AM

1,988 posts, read 1,314,414 times
Deal with it. It's not easy traveling with kids. Unless we are going to walk through life never annoying anyone, suck it up and move on. There is an extreme of course, but you know what I mean. I've been far more annoyed with adults on planes than kids.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:22 AM

11,636 posts, read 20,481,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I would guess 3-4 yrs of age. Would any of you go do far as to ask the parents to quiet their loud kids?
What do you expect them to do? They do not have off switches. I realize it is annoying for people to hear screaming kids. It's annoying to the parents also but in reality what do you think the parents can do to stop it?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 AM

11,636 posts, read 20,481,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I disagree. That kid was nonstop talking. What the mother should have done was to take the best to the back of the plane and sternly tell the kid thst she wasn't going to put up with it. The mother was a total failure.
Why aren't kids allowed to talk? Being silent is not a requirement for being on a plane. I think you are just a teeny weeny bit unreasonable if you expect complete silence on your flight.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
A nation of crybabies. (I'm talking about the grownups, now.)

For a quiet flight, try noise-canceling headphones.

I've raised a kid, who is now 9. She's been flying since she was a newborn, and no major problems; she would breast feed in flight, under a blanket, and that seemed to solve the pressure problems. Later on, it was chewing gum--a treat that she doesn't normally get.

Maybe I'm weird, but after having raised a kid, I don't even hear the crying and screaming. What's happened to our society, that people are so impatient and self-centered? Those same impatient people were probably the loudest, angriest screamers when they were little, and obviously have never learned any patience or self-control but continue to bleat out their every complaint over every little thing.

Yeah, some parents are clueless, maybe even the majority of parents, but that's the reality. Just have a drink, slip on the phones, and relax for 90 minutes. You don't even have to turn off your iPod anymore; you can be zoned out from takeoff to landing.
What has happened is that parents have checked out. Unfortunately for every parent who takes the time to plan and engage, 10 are too busy with their smartphone and are too self-absorbed to actually parent.

Maybe you don't get out much, but my last long haul had six toddlers in the row just behind mine (three were lap babies) with only a curtain between. Some of the parents were great with their kids, others let the kids run wild. That was an eight hour flight, not the 90 minutes you describe. Give it a try sometime. I guarantee you'll change your tune.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Deal with it. It's not easy traveling with kids. Unless we are going to walk through life never annoying anyone, suck it up and move on. There is an extreme of course, but you know what I mean. I've been far more annoyed with adults on planes than kids.
There are many ways to travel with your kids that don't require disrupting 180 other people to do so.

I'll bet you don't fly much. I see it every week, mom and dad checked out, while the kids terrorize the plane. I don't have a problem with kids flying, I have a problem with idiot parents who don't prepare the kids for what to expect and come prepared to occupy them during the entire flight. Good parents don't take a break from parenting because they are on vacation. Unfortunately there aren't many good parents around these days.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What do you expect them to do? They do not have off switches. I realize it is annoying for people to hear screaming kids. It's annoying to the parents also but in reality what do you think the parents can do to stop it?
BS. At that age kids understand the concept of inside voices and good parents have prepped them in advance on what behavior is expected on the plane. They have also brought along quiet activities to keep them amused. Good parents know how to keep their toddlers and preschool kids quiet and happy. Lazy parents who don't want to bother shouldn't have had kids to begin with.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,320,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
BS. At that age kids understand the concept of inside voices and good parents have prepped them in advance on what behavior is expected on the plane. They have also brought along quiet activities to keep them amused. Good parents know how to keep their toddlers and preschool kids quiet and happy. Lazy parents who don't want to bother shouldn't have had kids to begin with.
Total BS.
The same child can act different on different flights depending on his/her health, time of the day, overall feelings. I experienced the annoying of stranger's kids screaming as well as my own. Sometimes I couldn't do anything with one of my kids and I had to let her cry out - it was the only way for her to fell a sleep. Do you think I enjoyed it? No, but what could I do? Mind you I was on 10-hr flight. Could I leave my baby at home by herself? No. Could I stay home with her? No. Did I feel horrible my child was screaming her lungs out? Yes.
If you are talking about older kids who watch TV, know how to draw and so on - it's different with 1 year old, trust me. When 1 year old or younger is not happy - there is very limited options you can try. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or