Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 11:23 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
(I assume that you were a member of the flight crew, right? Because if you were simply another passenger presuming to tell my kids that they can't do something they're allowed to do, I would have told you to MYOB, then walked with my kids for the rest of the flight.)
That's obnoxious.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Give me a reason to "HAVE" to travel. Short of life saving surgery for the child, I'm not so sure there is a "have" as opposed to a "want."
Give me a reason you HAVE to go to a restaurant, or a movie, or a play, or the beach, or a theme park, or a National Park, or really any place other than where you work and where you live and where you need to conduct your life-sustaining errands (grocery store, medical office, etc.) You don't HAVE to go to those places, you WANT to. And those of us with kids WANT to go to these places as well.

And we will. Whether you like it or not.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:54 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Just because someone has a legal right, does not mean they have the "right" socially.
And who exactly decides what is "right" socially? Because obviously there are plenty of people who disagree with you. So what make you more right than them?

Old 06-19-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
They infact CAN, using earplanes (pressure sensitive ear plugs) prevents this from happening. Parents need to take responsibility for their children and research these kinds of things before hand, unfortunately most don't.
Except shoving something foreign and uncomfortable into their ears can often cause them to cry ... then what's the point?

Old 06-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Give me a reason you HAVE to go to a restaurant, or a movie, or a play, or the beach, or a theme park, or a National Park, or really any place other than where you work and where you live and where you need to conduct your life-sustaining errands (grocery store, medical office, etc.) You don't HAVE to go to those places, you WANT to. And those of us with kids WANT to go to these places as well.

And we will. Whether you like it or not.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:44 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
I think (as often seems to happen on City Data) people are jumping to conclusions here. Most people would agree that kids do have a right to be on a plane. However, it is the responsibility of the parents to keep the kid occupied and to control their behavior on a flight. Obviously with babies and very young children there is only so much you can do to control their crying on a flight. In that case, then the best thing to do is not take a baby on a plane unless you HAVE to go somewhere like a funeral, wedding, death bed visit, etc. I've never understood why people would want to take long vacations with babies or very young children who require things like strollers as it seems to me it would be a pain. I've also never understood why people pay to fly their entire family to see their grandparents when it would likely be cheaper to fly their grandparents out to see the grandchildren instead. Of course I'm not saying this about grandparents who are in poor health.

When it comes to kids over about the age of three, if they are acting up on the plane and the parents are doing nothing about it, then you're just a lazy parent.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just endured a horrific southwest airline flight filled with screaming crying kids who would not shut up. All the mother did was "shhhh". Does that qualify as sufficient these days? What obligation do these parents have for the other passengers? Or do they? Should they leave the kids at home?
If it's excessive, definitely.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:28 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
I really wish they would raise airfares to kick the Clampetts back to Greyhound.
ROFL, didn't the Clampetts have all that "oyl" money?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:37 PM

60 posts, read 56,488 times
[quote=otterprods;35280560]They have an obligation to try. But if they haven't been trained at home it's unlikely they'll suddenly be well behaved on a plane just because you want them to.[/quo

Overall I agree with this..Funny how some knuckleheads attempt to justify the screaming kids.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I really wish they would raise airfares to kick the Clampetts back to Greyhound.
Because people with lots of money have kids that don't cry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel