Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 09:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That's mighty big of you to give some kids a pass, but you can't always look at an older kid and know if they are neurotypical. You don't know that they "know better." And you don't know what struggles the parent deals with, whether their children are neurotypical or not.

Instead of making assumptions, a little compassion goes a long way.
This is a case where the parents need to be proactive and apologize for disruptions.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
As a former flight attendant I will tell you that children are not allowed, nor appreciated in the galley areas. Why would you even suggest such a thing?
During non service times I see people doing this all the time. I'm talking about the areas on wide body long hauls where there can be hours on end where the flight attendants are not using the galley.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:47 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Well if the mom is "shhhh-ing" the kids, and it's not working, what else do you expect her to do? Kids do not always comply with their parents' requests......You can't MAKE the kids do anything, especially at those young ages.
Oh really? Ask my kids if I have any problem MAKING them do what I ask them to do. Ask the people who would see us in nice restaurants, with our kids only 3 and 5 or such at the time, who would observe us and actually make a point to approach us and say "wow, your kids are really well behaved."

It's simple--you present yourself to your kids as a dominant force so overwhelming that they have no chance against it, and with consequences that are painful--yes, PAINFUL--if they cross you. "You're parenting by intimidation?" I don't care. It works, that's all I care about (and no, there are no bruises or other marks). Besides, I always try it the "nice" way first, with careful and compassionate reasoning and the like, and if that works, that suits me just fine. But if I have to "go there," then "go there" I most certainly will. Enough of this "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" flower-child Kumbayah "respect their feelings" nonsense. Let that child find out real fast who's the boss, and that it's not them.

Problem solved.

And those who see it and don't like it--mind your own business. It's not yours, nor social services' either. You're as much a part of the problem as the "flower child" wuss parents. Those who would dare make such calls, how great it would be for their cell phones to suddenly be inflicted with "exploding battery syndrome."

Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
On the long hauls, families with infants and toddlers ARE given priority for bulkhead seats.

There is actually a decent amount of space at the rear lav area on the lower deck of a 380, and the rear lav/galley area on the 777/767/A340.
You're the expert ... on EVERYTHING.
You even such an expert that you can argue a former FA. Gawd, it must be exhausting being so knowledgeable about EVERYTHING. How on earth can you stand being so amazing?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:08 AM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Oh really? Ask my kids if I have any problem MAKING them do what I ask them to do. Ask the people who would see us in nice restaurants, with our kids only 3 and 5 or such at the time, who would observe us and actually make a point to approach us and say "wow, your kids are really well behaved."

It's simple--you present yourself to your kids as a dominant force so overwhelming that they have no chance against it, and with consequences that are painful--yes, PAINFUL--if they cross you. "You're parenting by intimidation?" I don't care. It works, that's all I care about (and no, there are no bruises or other marks). Besides, I always try it the "nice" way first, with careful and compassionate reasoning and the like, and if that works, that suits me just fine. But if I have to "go there," then "go there" I most certainly will. Enough of this "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" flower-child Kumbayah "respect their feelings" nonsense. Let that child find out real fast who's the boss, and that it's not them.

Problem solved.

And those who see it and don't like it--mind your own business. It's not yours, nor social services' either. You're as much a part of the problem as the "flower child" wuss parents. Those who would dare make such calls, how great it would be for their cell phones to suddenly be inflicted with "exploding battery syndrome."

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:

Problem solved.

There need to be more parents like you. I don't know what happened with parents, they've turned into wimps.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
There need to be more parents like you. I don't know what happened with parents, they've turned into wimps.
Well shyguylh certainly made a good case for patting him/her self on the back. Whether or not those kids are really so impressively behaved is just speculation on our part.

I'm not that confident about my own parenting decisions. Sometimes I spank out of principle (hopefully not anger) and wonder if that was the best approach in that case. Other times I warn them one too many times when I should have just brought the hammer down. Occasionally I lose a little control and do something I regret. I've had some people tell me that my kids are amazingly well behaved and others tell me that whatever I'm doing isn't working. So what? What do people know? I occasionally seek advice from a few good examples I know and look to what I believe is a higher source for guidance. But it's still a lot of trial and error and I make mistakes often. People touting their own ideals, wether it be intimidation tactics (as if it's real hard to intimidate a kid) or child development fluff need to objectively examine their own results and seriously rethink whether or not they're in a position to be passing judgement.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

Problem solved.

Bravo to you. Well said.

My brother just has to give a look to his kids, the nonsense ends. Stat.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:19 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Well shyguylh certainly made a good case for patting him/her self on the back. Whether or not those kids are really so impressively behaved is just speculation on our part.

I'm not that confident about my own parenting decisions. Sometimes I spank out of principle (hopefully not anger) and wonder if that was the best approach in that case. Other times I warn them one too many times when I should have just brought the hammer down. Occasionally I lose a little control and do something I regret. I've had some people tell me that my kids are amazingly well behaved and others tell me that whatever I'm doing isn't working. So what? What do people know? I occasionally seek advice from a few good examples I know and look to what I believe is a higher source for guidance. But it's still a lot of trial and error and I make mistakes often. People touting their own ideals, wether it be intimidation tactics (as if it's real hard to intimidate a kid) or child development fluff need to objectively examine their own results and seriously rethink whether or not they're in a position to be passing judgement.
Thank you for your honesty. It's refreshing in this sea of "perfect" parents.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
If I encouraged a drunk person to get on a plane with me when I could have left him sitting in the airport lounge would his behavior be my responsibility? Yes. Same with kids. They act like drunk people a lot of the time and they wouldn't be on a plane had their parents not paid for their ticket. Parents are responsible for controlling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel