Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 10:27 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,374,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It cracks me up that FA's say to keep kids in their seat when the airlines don't require the purchase of a seat for a kid two and under, and provide bassinets for infants in the bulkhead seats on long hauls. The FA's don't require parents to use the safety equipment provided to secure the child--usually either a zipper or tab/strap things that still aren't going to be fool proof, particularly with a small child.
Every long haul international flight with bassinets actually did require me to strap my child in, and when there was expected turbulence or the seatbelt light came on for any reason, they made me take my child out of the bassinet and hold him with the infant lap belt fastened securely, regardless of whether he was sleeping or not.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,874,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Every long haul international flight with bassinets actually did require me to strap my child in, and when there was expected turbulence or the seatbelt light came on for any reason, they made me take my child out of the bassinet and hold him with the infant lap belt fastened securely, regardless of whether he was sleeping or not.
That's the exception to the norm on the flights I've been on. My last long haul flight (on AF) there was a toddler crawling up and down the aisle the entire flight--even when the light was on. The FA's knew it and ignored it.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:19 AM

16,379 posts, read 10,397,175 times
Quote:
You paid $2500 once a year to take the kids to Disney. I pay $2500 a month (if not a lot more) for business travel. The airlines don't give a flying farce about you. They care about their bread and butter, the business travelers. By the way, you sound pretty jealous of those who have chosen not to have kids.
No you don't. Your clients do, whether directly (billed by you as part of the overall work you perform for them) or indirectly (through your employer), depending on whether you are self-employed or work for someone else. But either way, you are not paying 2,500 non-reimbursible dollars out of your own pocket.

Or, if you are, you really need to renegotiate your compensation package.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
No you don't. Your clients do, whether directly (billed by you as part of the overall work you perform for them) or indirectly (through your employer), depending on whether you are self-employed or work for someone else. But either way, you are not paying 2,500 non-reimbursible dollars out of your own pocket.

Or, if you are, you really need to renegotiate your compensation package.
Point taken. Bottom line, the loyal business traveler is the bread and butter of the airlines, and they really don't care about the once a year leisure traveler who will dump them in a New York minute to save a dollar on the fare with a competitor.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:45 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,280,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In my experience a good firm hand on the bottom causes MORE crying, MORE screaming and MORE whining. Not less. More.
for a second or two, but when they quiet down they know what will happen if they carry on again. You are forgetting we are not talking about 2 year olds, we are talking about pre schoolers and older. if they have been raised with any discipline they know darn well what mom and dad mean when they say: do you want me to spank you?

So what do you suggest? Push them out the window, send them to their room, give them time out in a corner? To be honest, after about 3 a kid should not need to be threatened on a plane, they should know how to behave.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,374,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
for a second or two, but when they quiet down they know what will happen if they carry on again. You are forgetting we are not talking about 2 year olds, we are talking about pre schoolers and older. if they have been raised with any discipline they know darn well what mom and dad mean when they say: do you want me to spank you?

So what do you suggest? Push them out the window, send them to their room, give them time out in a corner? To be honest, after about 3 a kid should not need to be threatened on a plane, they should know how to behave.
You'd think so, but at 30-40+ you still get people acting up and not behaving appropriately on a plane.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 AM

6,636 posts, read 5,857,697 times
Quote:
Point taken. Bottom line, the loyal business traveler is the bread and butter of the airlines, and they really don't care about the once a year leisure traveler who will dump them in a New York minute to save a dollar on the fare with a competitor.
A lot of business travelers would say that the airlines really don't care about them, either.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
A lot of business travelers would say that the airlines really don't care about them, either.
If they travel enough and are brand loyal, they won't feel that way.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:07 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,357,113 times
Anything.
(insert argument from annerk below)

Old 06-24-2014, 03:56 PM

597 posts, read 1,437,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Young kids' ears pop rather painfully when planes descend. If that was the cause of the crying, there really isn't much that the parents could do about it.
They can chew gum.

We traveled a lot as kids and we were never screaming and bothering people. My Mom gave us gum and coloring books and games and we sat quietly until the flight was over.

Parents today are oblivious to people around them and do not feel they are obligated to keep their kids quiet. They have a "get over it" attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel