Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 04:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Thanks for putting things in perspective.

Originally I was going to go to Miami but now I'm thinking maybe I should go ahead and go there instead. Although it would still be hurricane season I'd feel better being closer to home if something happens.
Even with the less than perfect weather we had we had a great time and would do the exact same trip again if we knew we would have the same conditions. But there is a real risk of a bonafide hurricane at that time so just take that into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Are you looking for the lowest prices, or the best package with the most amenities and no surprises and no disappointments? There are always cut-rate shops, but it's pretty hard to get both, so which is your priority?

Unless you want to spend your whole time actually on a beach, consider a package at a down-town hotel. Cancun is a lovely city, very friendly and hospitable, the people in town are delighted to see a traveler that is interested in seeing Mexico, instead of a painting of a generic ocean.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-27-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 02:16 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Unless you want to spend your whole time actually on a beach, consider a package at a down-town hotel.
I would not even choose Cancun unless you want to spend your whole time actually on a beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
the people in town are delighted to see a traveler that is interested in seeing Mexico...
They're delighted to see anyone who wants to spend some serious money; It's only us tourists that care about how enlightened ones vacation goals may or may not be.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So are you saying you wouldn't go in October? I'd hate to get hit with a hurricane or tropical storm..
I've stayed about twenty miles south of Cancun in October and other than a few sprinkles had pleasant weather. Also, if you book with Cheap Caribbean they include rain insurance. Or at least they used to. You'd have to check.

A few years ago I got five nights, flight, meals, room for $700. at Barceló south of Playa del Carmen. It's right across the highway from a ceynote (cave, sinkhole) with clear swimming water. Lots of fun.

Do you know that the whole coast of that part of Mexico is resorts? Unless you plan to stay in your A.I and not leave you may have more fun booking a spot in Playa del Carmen. Cancun is a sort of Disney city, built especially for the tourist industry. PDC is plenty touristy but with lots of local flavor and a good spot to take advantage of the excellent transportation services.

The good news if you like the water is that the ocean there is about eighty degrees year round.

Last edited by Lodestar; 07-07-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel