U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to travel to Cancun early Oct for 4-6 nights. I was looking to book flight and hotel separately, and that's running about $1100. I think I could do much better with a package deal, right?

This would be my first time going. I'm flying out of Chicago. What sites or companies have the best flight+hotel deals...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 12:11 PM

15,059 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Costco.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:12 PM

13,103 posts, read 24,877,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Costco.

Or if not a Costco member
cheapcaribbean.com

I've used them and never no issues

Old 06-21-2014, 11:57 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,443,435 times
I know it sounds old school, but try your local travel agent. I am not an agent, but I work in a related industry where I deal with travel agents often. Any agent worth his or her salt should be able to price beat anything you find online, and that way you have a real, live human being on your side fighting for you if something goes wrong. They also tend to have payment terms that are more flexible than online bookings.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM

3,660 posts, read 6,482,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

cheapcaribbean.com

I've used them and never no issues
Always find great deals there and I actually love the fact that they have all of the beach options listed instead of trying to figure it out

Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 AM

3,660 posts, read 6,482,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm looking to travel to Cancun early Oct for 4-6 nights. I was looking to book flight and hotel separately, and that's running about $1100. I think I could do much better with a package deal, right?

This would be my first time going. I'm flying out of Chicago. What sites or companies have the best flight+hotel deals...?
I was going to mention, that is not a bad price, but that is still hurricane season.

I went on the cheap caribbean and did a week in October leaving on Saturday for a week.

1200 seems to be the average for a basic resort and flights for a week. It looks like about 700 for 4 nights with flights.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:29 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Costco Travel

Old 06-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I was going to mention, that is not a bad price, but that is still hurricane season.

I went on the cheap caribbean and did a week in October leaving on Saturday for a week.

1200 seems to be the average for a basic resort and flights for a week. It looks like about 700 for 4 nights with flights.
So are you saying you wouldn't go in October? I'd hate to get hit with a hurricane or tropical storm..

Old 06-26-2014, 12:41 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So are you saying you wouldn't go in October? I'd hate to get hit with a hurricane or tropical storm..
We went to Dreams Resort (the best location) in cancun several years ago in late September. The upside was that the the resort was only at 10% capacity and we got a very good rate. It was great to have the beach and facilities practically to ourselves and we did have a couple of very warm, sunny days. But then a tropical depression came in, which meant it got pretty cool, cloudy, windy and rainy for most of our visit. But 'cool' there means maybe 70's (with the water remaining warm) and it wasn't a hurricane so it didn't really ruin our trip. But it wasn't exactly the lie on the beach and bake in the sun thing that people expect there. Also we could not go sailing or paddling because it was too windy and choppy and the resort would not allow it. But we could still eat, drink, and roar around on wave runners (extra charge) so we had fun, but you're definitely taking your chances.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
We went to Dreams Resort (the best location) in cancun several years ago in late September. The upside was that the the resort was only at 10% capacity and we got a very good rate. It was great to have the beach and facilities practically to ourselves and we did have a couple of very warm, sunny days. But then a tropical depression came in, which meant it got pretty cool, cloudy, windy and rainy for most of our visit. But 'cool' there means maybe 70's (with the water remaining warm) and it wasn't a hurricane so it didn't really ruin our trip. But it wasn't exactly the lie on the beach and bake in the sun thing that people expect there. Also we could not go sailing or paddling because it was too windy and choppy and the resort would not allow it. But we could still eat, drink, and roar around on wave runners (extra charge) so we had fun, but you're definitely taking your chances.

Thanks for putting things in perspective.

Originally I was going to go to Miami but now I'm thinking maybe I should go ahead and go there instead. Although it would still be hurricane season I'd feel better being closer to home if something happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or