Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 07:05 AM

79 posts, read 144,415 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I will be taking Amtrak from Davis, Ca. to Vancouver, Washington starting on Christmas Eve. It will be our first train trip, and a 17 hour one at that. Problem is I have panic disorder and the thought of being "stuck" on a train for 17 hours has me flipped! We will have a roomette so we will have a bit of privacy, but dang the space is small! I have games, books, I-pod, and anything I can think of to keep my mind busy on the train. What I'm looking for is any suggestions or ideas as to what to expect? Any do's or don'ts for train travel? Anything you can think of to make it "easier" for me? I keep telling myself once I get there it will be the best Christmas ever! Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 08:27 AM

351 posts, read 1,873,408 times
I've not been in an Amtrack roomette, but from the sounds of it, you are in for a wonderful holiday trip! Unless you have extreme claustrophobia or other phobia, I think you'll be fine. Of all modes of transportation, you are ANYTHING but "stuck!" Focus on the following to fight the panic disorder:

Travelling by train is a wonderful opportunity to watch the world go by. You sit (and in a roomette, you sit with LOTS of room!) and the landscape around you changes. Towns, countryside, Dr. Zhivago-type snow-topped landscape.... CHristmas decorations and wondering who's in what house, and where Santa will visit first.... you've picked the BEST night of the year to travel, for the Christmas lights alone! Just sitting and watching the world go by is a big part of the fun!

Better yet, when you're tired of sitting, you can stand up, walk around, check out the train (and the people in it) the whole length of the train. Make new friends. You're on a community on wheels. Find out who's on board, and why. You've got 17 hours to meet people from very different places.

You can take along your own DVDs to watch on a laptop or DVD player. You can stretch out and read (there are some really good books about train travels in the travel lit section of your book store: you can get thematic!). You can sleep. You can bond with family members and strangers. And you are safer on the train than in a car or plane, with more personal space and freedom of movement.

Since you're spending Christmas Eve on the train, focus on tradition, and plan ahead to replicate them. Do you want to decorate your roomette? Take along champagne, egg nog or special food for a Christmas Eve buffet? If you're travelling with family, what surprises do you want to plan so that they have a memorable Christmas Eve? Perhaps Santa hats for everyone? Or plan "random acts of kindness" for others in the train (mini-stockings with candy canes)? Christmas carol the car (possibly another car, lest the gesture not be appreciated). Planning for others might take your mind off of your own fears.

It sounds to me like you've got a great Christmas in the making, and that the train journey is only the start of it! Have fun planning for it, and take a deep breath and ENJOY the transportation. You can certainly think of worse ways to travel!

Old 12-15-2007, 01:43 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
EXCELLENT advice, Wastina! About the only thing I can add to that is: If you want to take photos from the moving train, DON'T open the dutch doors on the lower levels of the train cars. You will get a "face full of waste" from the cars ahead of yours! (Trust me on this one; I speak from experience...)

Old 12-15-2007, 03:15 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
EXCELLENT advice, Wastina! About the only thing I can add to that is: If you want to take photos from the moving train, DON'T open the dutch doors on the lower levels of the train cars. You will get a "face full of waste" from the cars ahead of yours! (Trust me on this one; I speak from experience...)
Umm, Crew Cheif, I rightly don't think I want to know about how ya found that one out

Old 12-15-2007, 11:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Default Relax and Enjoy the Ride, Michie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michie1 View Post
Hi, my husband and I will be taking Amtrak from Davis, Ca. to Vancouver, Washington starting on Christmas Eve. It will be our first train trip, and a 17 hour one at that. Problem is I have panic disorder and the thought of being "stuck" on a train for 17 hours has me flipped! We will have a roomette so we will have a bit of privacy, but dang the space is small! I have games, books, I-pod, and anything I can think of to keep my mind busy on the train. What I'm looking for is any suggestions or ideas as to what to expect? Any do's or don'ts for train travel? Anything you can think of to make it "easier" for me? I keep telling myself once I get there it will be the best Christmas ever! Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks-

I can think of a lot less pleasant things to do than take a ride on Amtrak's Coast Starlight on Christmas Eve.

While roomettes aren't the most spacious of places to sleep, they're not absolutely horrible, either. You'll have an area of about 5 feet by 8 feet. Doesn't sound like much, but the space is arranged so that in daytime configuration there are 2 spacious chairs, one facing forward, the other aft. The compartment will have a very large, tinted window complete with blackout curtain. There will be a folding table attached to the window wall for the use of both seats during the day.

At night, your sleeping car attendent will convert the 2 chairs into a comfy lower single bed, and an upper bunk will be dropped down from the ceiling. Talk your hubby into taking the upper bunk.

There are some very real advantages to being a sleeping car "first class" passenger. Sleeping cars are generally attached to either the front or the rear of the train. Non-sleeping car passengers are not permitted in the car. This means there is very little foot traffic down the corridor which translates into allowing you to leave your compartment door open during the day if you wish. Sleeping cars also provide complimentary water, juice and coffee.

The sleeping car also has a dedicated washroom on the upper level, and a shower-equipped washroom on the lower level. These are for the use of the sleeping car only which means they tend to stay much cleaner.

All meals are included with your sleeping car ticket price. My experience with the Amtrak Dining car has always been positive: decent menu selection, fresh prepared food, table service, and a great view out the window.

Coach class passengers may not be able to enter the sleeping car, but you'll have the run of the train. The Coast Starlight always has a lounge car where you go relax. The lounge car is a 2-story car with open seats running the length of the upper level to take advantage of the observation windows; a snack bar with tables is located on the lower level. It's perfect for reading a book, playing a game, or striking up a conversation with a new friend.

Your train should be departing Davis at about 11:30 pm. You'll have the option of either trying out your bunk right from the get go, or watching the scenary as Sacremento comes and goes.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to see Mt. Shasta go at about 5 am, but you can enjoy a hearty breakfast in the dining car as the train goes past the Klamath National Wildlife Area shortly before pulling into Klamath Falls at 8:30am.

North of Klamath Falls, the train first paralells the shores of Klamath Lake for about 25 miles. If the weather is clear, you'll get a great view of Mt. McLoughlin to the west. After Chemult, the train heads through the Cascades on its way over to the Willamette Valley. The mountain scenery is spectacular.

After dropping down out of the Cascades, the snow will disappear and you'll be just a couple of hours out of Portland.

One of your concerns is feeling trapped. The train makes numerous stops along the route, and several of these are "smoking stops" where passengers are permitted to disembark onto the platform for a few minutes. Sometimes mentioning your concerns to your sleeping car attendent can allow you the opportunity to step out for a breath of air even at non-smoking stops.

The Coast Starlight is a spacious, easily walked train with an abundence of windows. Kick back and enjoy the ride and the views.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
I love train travel! Have been able to take the San Francisco Zephyr twice and have done a few of the routes Back East, too. I was suprised how comfortable I was just sitting in the Coach class seats. I love talking to my fellow passengers and that was probably my favorite part of the journey. I found the food really good and not quite as expensive as I'd imagine for being a "captive audience". Michie1, enjoy your trip and let us know how it went!

Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 PM

79 posts, read 144,415 times
Many thanks for all your replies. I have learned some things I didn't know and it makes me feel "better." We leave 1 week from tomorrow and I really am getting excited. It's been 14 years since I've been to see my sister and her family in Vancouver. Luckily she flies to California all the time!! Hope you all are enjoying your holiday season. Thanks again and I will give you an up-date when I get back.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:53 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,443 times
I think you are so lucky! I've taken the train cross country a few times with my teens and we had a fantastic time.
The biggest thing I found was to look at the train trip as part of your vacation not just a means to get somewhere. How many people enjoy flying anymore? It is just something you have to do to get somewhere. The train can be a whole vacation in itself if you let it.
With the train you can walk around, you aren't stuck in a seat for hours. You can stay in your room watch the world go by, play games and visit or get out to the site seeing car. There is also usually a car that will have movies.
Also the dining car is a great chance to meet people. They will seat you four to a table, since you have two that means you get to meet 2 other people each meal. For us this was the most fun since we met all sorts of different people from different places. In fact when we traveled with 4 people we only sat 2 together at every meal so we could meet others.
When the train stops long enough for you to get off take the opportunity. It will be announced and you can stretch your legs on the platform or go into the station in some little town you will probably never see again. One of my fondest memories is a snow ball fight and making snow angels somewhere in the North Dakota in the middle of the night with some of the other people in our sleeping car.
It is what you make it, have a wonderful time.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I love train rides. Every time we travel I look for them. If there's one in the area I'm on it.

Hoping for a "real" train trip within the next few years. Enjoy!

Old 12-16-2007, 07:26 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
If it helps you any at all, I'm a claustrophobic and a control freak to boot I've been on an Amtrack journey which took us on both their bs and the train. For the control freak in me, it was the bus that as the hardest part and I never felt penned in on either the bus or the train
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel