U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 05:51 PM

144 posts, read 256,715 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with enrolling in TSA's Pre-Check program so you get through security faster? I have a flight booked in 3 days and was going to pre-enroll online, so that I show my IDs and things to the Pre-Check area at the airport, but you don't know if you will be approved until you really are. Also I read something about it taking 2-3 weeks to be approved and get a special #, so is this something you actually have to do well in advance of your flight, I can't get this done at the airport later this week, so there's no point in applying online now?

Also, unrelated question, haven't flown in awhile, I saw my airline has a smartphone app, can I load my boarding pass from there and they can scan that, or do you still need to print it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,152,817 times
It takes weeks to get signed up.

Yes, if the airline has the smart app running @ that airport and the TSA is on board there. I would print a copy out and just stick the page in your bag.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:29 PM

7,685 posts, read 16,112,809 times
You can use the boarding pass app just fine about 98% of the time. But there are times when it's nice to have a paper back-up pass, like when you've run into 'irregular operations' (aka flight delays or cancellations) and the computer might have already made changes to your ticket that you don't want. The paper boarding pass makes it easy for the person helping you to see what was supposed to happen when you got to the airport, not what their computer system overwrote about how your ticket is now, and it can make rebooking in a way that works best for you a little easier.

Takes somewhere around a minute at a self-service kiosk, and unless I'm running really late, I always do a quick paper back-up of the app.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:54 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,838,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
Anyone familiar with enrolling in TSA's Pre-Check program so you get through security faster? I have a flight booked in 3 days and was going to pre-enroll online, so that I show my IDs and things to the Pre-Check area at the airport, but you don't know if you will be approved until you really are. Also I read something about it taking 2-3 weeks to be approved and get a special #, so is this something you actually have to do well in advance of your flight, I can't get this done at the airport later this week, so there's no point in applying online now?

Also, unrelated question, haven't flown in awhile, I saw my airline has a smartphone app, can I load my boarding pass from there and they can scan that, or do you still need to print it out?
It sounds like you don't travel enough to make Pre-Check worthwhile. I wouldn't bother.

Go ahead and download the app. It's likely free. I like using mobile boarding passes, because it's one less thing to keep track of (paper boarding pass). If mobile boarding passes aren't an option at your airport, you'll have an option to check in and print your boarding pass at the airport. Then it's just a quick trip to one of the kiosks.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,193,047 times
Pre-check is pretty useless unless you are a frequent flyer so don't worry about it. Also yes it takes weeks to get it done.

As for the boarding pass yes you can put it on the phone. From my experience of seeing others use it it works 75% of the time well 95% of the time after a few scans. If you have no bags to check I think its easier to just print them at home or at a kiosk.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
After having the bar code not scan on my phone five flights in a row, I gave up and print the paper pass every time now. It takes under a minute at a kiosk. Type in my FF#, hit a few keys, and out it spits.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:32 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,838,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Pre-check is pretty useless unless you are a frequent flyer so don't worry about it. Also yes it takes weeks to get it done.

As for the boarding pass yes you can put it on the phone. From my experience of seeing others use it it works 75% of the time well 95% of the time after a few scans. If you have no bags to check I think its easier to just print them at home or at a kiosk.
Hmmm ... I've never had a problem getting my mobile boarding pass to scan. Doesn't even take multiple scans. Works the first time, every time.

And if I have no bags to check, it's actually easier to not print them at home or at a kiosk. I don't have to worry about doing either. I usually check in on my phone, and the boarding pass instantly appears. No need to do anything else but walk right up to security. (It's also a plus if I'm preparing for my return trip and don't have easy access to a printer)

Old 06-24-2014, 07:12 AM

12,300 posts, read 18,421,290 times
I get pre-check automatically via my frequent flyer program, didn't need to sign up. You can also get through security faster in some airports via your flight status - again frequent flyers, or first class. I get all the perks, but I'm still not sure how pre-check works. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't, sometimes airports don't have it, sometimes the pre-check line is just closed.

Online boarding pass - yes I've seen this. I have a Delta Ap and can bring it up I guess. I precheck in, but that's because Delta usually prints out a free drink coupon for me to use if I don't get my upgrade. I just prefer a paper ticket. I've seen people use it and scan the boarding pass via there phone at both the TSA checkpoint and the gate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or