U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 PM

576 posts, read 853,681 times

Advertisements

I live in FL, have all of my life. I've never been anywhere in the NE area. Would like to plan a Fall Foliage trip up that way.

Problem is, I don't know where to go.

I am willing to fly in and rent a car, because time is an issue. I would likely fly in on a Wednesday afternoon late, and settle in somewhere, and then start out from there, to see some sights. But where? What? I would need to leave, fly home by no later that dark-thirty in the morning on Monday a.m., if not Sunday evening. Doesn't allow a whole lot of time.

So what would you recommend? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
I'd fly into Boston the Weds before Columbus Day and stay the night
drive across the Berkshires and up into Manchester, VT where I'd stay at the Equinox Resort for two nights
then I'd drive up to Burlington and spend the night
then I'd drive to Woodstock, VT and stay Sunday night
from there you are about 2 and-a-half hours from Logan Airport

Old 06-24-2014, 06:17 AM

2,593 posts, read 5,286,635 times
Peak fall color is somewhat unpredictable. You may want to plan for an area where there is a good range of elevations so you can find a place with peak color.

The largest range of elevations in the NE is the New Hampshire White Mountains area. Other possibles are the Green Mountains in Vermont and upper NY State.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,093,499 times
I agree that the timing of peak foliage can be variable. Rather than flying into Boston, I would vote for flying into Hartford/Bradley Airport (BDL). It is more central to where you want to be, much easier to navigate, and you don't have to deal with Boston traffic. As an example, from Brattleboro, VT to BDL via I-91 is about an hour, with very little traffic on the road. IMO, a much better bet than dealing with Boston unless your travels bring you to eastern MA anyway.

From BDL, you are a very close ride to the Berkshires, though I would start with Litchfield County, CT and then head north to the Berkshires. From there you can head north to Vermont, then head straight back down I-91 to BDL airport to depart.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:56 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree that the timing of peak foliage can be variable. Rather than flying into Boston, I would vote for flying into Hartford/Bradley Airport (BDL). It is more central to where you want to be, much easier to navigate, and you don't have to deal with Boston traffic. As an example, from Brattleboro, VT to BDL via I-91 is about an hour, with very little traffic on the road. IMO, a much better bet than dealing with Boston unless your travels bring you to eastern MA anyway.

From BDL, you are a very close ride to the Berkshires, though I would start with Litchfield County, CT and then head north to the Berkshires. From there you can head north to Vermont, then head straight back down I-91 to BDL airport to depart.
+1

The timing is tricky, but generally mid to late October would be a good bet.

Here's a list of 20 scenic Vermont drives to inspire you!

http://www.vermontvacation.com/scenicdrives.aspx

Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
+1

The timing is tricky, but generally mid to late October would be a good bet.

Here's a list of 20 scenic Vermont drives to inspire you!

http://www.vermontvacation.com/scenicdrives.aspx
Peak is usually over by mid to late October.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'd fly into Boston the Weds before Columbus Day and stay the night
drive across the Berkshires and up into Manchester, VT where I'd stay at the Equinox Resort for two nights
then I'd drive up to Burlington and spend the night
then I'd drive to Woodstock, VT and stay Sunday night
from there you are about 2 and-a-half hours from Logan Airport
THIS THIS THIS THIS!!! But also look at airfare to TF Green and MHT, as they can often be $100 or more cheaper with much less expensive car rentals and much more user friendly airports. Plus no driving in Boston.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Best bet is to take a fall tour because you get to stay at better places and otherwise it becomes not only expensive but hard to book.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Best bet is to take a fall tour because you get to stay at better places and otherwise it becomes not only expensive but hard to book.
Ugh. No. Crammed into a bus with 50 other people, staying at places that might not appeal because that's where the tour books, and not being able to stop to get a better look at something that interests you? Sounds more like hell to me.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:39 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,198,644 times
If you enjoy hiking Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor has incredible fall foliage views. We could easily spend several days there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel