U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:51 AM

39,297 posts, read 18,819,760 times

Advertisements

We just came home to our Florida home after a month in Japan. This is the fifth day since we got home and I am still feeling really "out of it"......muscular aches and pains, disoriented around sleep and eating schedules, very low energy........I really am like a sick Zombie.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to get back on track.

Perhaps my age 73 makes it tougher for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 AM

556 posts, read 761,377 times
The rule of thumb for adjusting is one day for every hour of time change, so you probably have another week to go before you are fully adjusted. Age does make it harder, I think. The best strategy I know of is to go by the clock where you are and keep your schedule as normal as possible. Set an alarm to get up in the morning, no matter what. Go outside for a walk to get some sunlight. Eat at normal meal times, even if it's just a light snack. Get a little bit of exercise everyday, both to work out sore muscles and to make it easier to sleep at night. Take your OTC pain reliever of choice for the muscle aches. It's possible you have a cold on top of the jet lag - the physical stress of travel and jet lag can tip the balance of your immunity.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
The "aches and pains" part got me. That is not a normal part of jet lag after a day or two to get over the cramped quarters on the plane. If they continue for more than another day or two, I would see your doctor.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 AM

2,593 posts, read 5,288,316 times
Agree, aches and pain are not normal. Also not sure what "disorientation" means but it doesn't sound good.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The "aches and pains" part got me. That is not a normal part of jet lag after a day or two to get over the cramped quarters on the plane. If they continue for more than another day or two, I would see your doctor.
I did come down with a pretty heavy summer cold....with sore throat, sneezing and achy muscles. The cramped quarters on the plane and in taxis and automobiles over there....really did a number on me. I went to a Japanese reflexologist for a foot and leg massage.....that helped a little. But I am still a hurting unit. The disorientation remark has to do with sleep and awake time reversals and meal times.....not hungry or motivated to cook at normal times and then starving at non meal times.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:09 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,832,254 times
It sounds like you caught something on the plane. I did flying from Memphis to MSP earlier this year and it was probably the worst 48hrs of my life.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:19 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,415 times
This happened to us in the spring, coming back from Singapore. It was a killer, and took close to two weeks.

Just be patient, and try to go with the flow, if you're lucky enough not to have a rigid schedule.

Funny, it's not just the sleep cycles but eating, and even bathroom routines being disrupted.

And the "one hour per time zone" doesn't really work, I'm thinking, when you're halfway around the planet. I.e., you're literally backwards when you get home.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:33 AM

Default You Understand what I am talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
This happened to us in the spring, coming back from Singapore. It was a killer, and took close to two weeks.

Just be patient, and try to go with the flow, if you're lucky enough not to have a rigid schedule.

Funny, it's not just the sleep cycles but eating, and even bathroom routines being disrupted.

And the "one hour per time zone" doesn't really work, I'm thinking, when you're halfway around the planet. I.e., you're literally backwards when you get home.

You really do understand....it is all systems, sleeping, eating, bathroom and over all energy! I am slightly better this morning; this is day 6 after our return.

The cold symptoms are less too.....

Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,789,776 times
Whenever I fly between Asia and the United States, it takes me at least a week to fully adjust.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,656,997 times
Ive never suffered from jet lag and I truly wonder if its more psychological, then physical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel