U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:50 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
See? I told you. You might as well stay at Motel 6, and save $100 a night. Buy something nice, that you will enjoy, with your couple of thousand dollars in savings. Or, if that kind of money doesn't mean anything to you, DM me and I'll give you my PayPal address.
I've stayed in Motel 6's. About 50 of them, because that is where the company booked me. That job didn't last long. I quit. Never again. The worst Marriott is still much, MUCH nicer than the nicest Motel 6. They were disgusting. Just absolutely disgusting. There isn't enough money in the world to make me ever sleep in one of those hell holes again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:40 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,319,168 times
Motel 6 was just marginally ok until they routinely charged >$50/night.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 PM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Like any very large hotel chain where the majority of properties are franchises, there are going to be better and worse parts of the system. Last two Marriotts I've stayed at-

Courtyard Marriott St. George, Utah- slightly discounted because they were renovating business center and restaurant area. Lobby and rooms were already updated (previous part of remodel/refreshing) and extremely clean. Employees were very friendly and made sure the construction workers kept the noise down and all went very well. Only complaint was that the AC rattled a bit.

Marriott Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club- really beautiful grounds (golf course has been used for Sondheim Cup) if a bit on the fringes of Edinburgh. Excellent and friendly staff that took care of us well. Rooms were huge by European standards, immaculate, and met modern decor standards. Can frequently be had for less than $200 USD a night, which is a screaming deal considering how nice the property is.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:12 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've stayed in Motel 6's. About 50 of them, because that is where the company booked me. That job didn't last long. I quit. Never again. The worst Marriott is still much, MUCH nicer than the nicest Motel 6. They were disgusting. Just absolutely disgusting. There isn't enough money in the world to make me ever sleep in one of those hell holes again.

Down here where real people live, the median take-home income for a whole family is about half of what you consider the minimum standard for 8 hours of pillow time when you feel a little sleepy after your busy day at hard labor. And they don't have their company paying their hotel rates, they have their cost of living paying for YOURS.

The OP is complaining that he pays $200 a night and gets a crappy room. I suggested he can get a crappy room for a quarter of that, with no surprises or disappointments.

I haven't stayed in 50 Motel 6s, but I've stayed in a lot of hem . Every single one was perfectly satisfactory. They were clean and safe, the amenities worked, the staff was efficient and attended to any request. I woke up in the morning and hit the road, contented with my accommodation experience, instead of composing snotty letters in my mind to ritzy-ditzy hotel chains. You should try being contented sometime--it is a psychic wonderland.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-28-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Down here where real people live, the median take-home income for a whole family is about half of what you consider the minimum standard for 8 hours of pillow time when you feel a little sleepy after your busy day at hard labor. And they don't have their company paying their hotel rates, they have their cost of living paying for YOURS.

The OP is complaining that he pays $200 a night and gets a crappy room. I suggested he can get a crappy room for a quarter of that, with no surprises or disappointments.

I haven't stayed in 50 Motel 6s, but I've stayed in a lot of hem . Every single one was perfectly satisfactory. They were clean and safe, the amenities worked, the staff was efficient and attended to any request. I woke up in the morning and hit the road, contented with my accommodation experience, instead of composing snotty letters in my mind to ritzy-ditzy hotel chains. You should try being contented sometime--it is a psychic wonderland.
Where you live and the cost of living there is of no interest or concern to me. If you aren't happy, no one is making you stay. I'll also add that the median household income there is far below that of the median household income in the United States, so it seems that "real" people don't live there, they live in places where the median household income is around $50K, not the $36K in your area.

The Motel 6's I've stayed in were uniformly dirty, with unsafe parking lots that had drug dealers and prostitutes roaming around. There was a gun fight in the room two doors down from mine in a Motel 6 outside of Houston. I've been awakened in the middle of the night by the police breaking down the door of the room next door.

As far as amenities--what amenities? They had no amenities. There was a bed, a table and chair, two lamps, a dresser, a TV that didn't work half the time, a dimly lit bathroom that usually had cockroaches scatter when you turned on the light, a bar of soap and a bottle of nasty shampoo, toilet paper, and if you were lucky, a packet of Kleenex. Sometimes I'd hit the jackpot with a single plastic cup.

I don't know that I've ever gotten a "crappy" room at $200 a night. Sometimes they've been a little shopworn, but crappy? Nope. I can think of one time that I ever composed a snotty letter, and it was only after I found live bedbugs in my bed in a low end division of a popular higher end chain after I didn't get a satisfactory resolution from the property management. Corporate took my complaint very seriously. I noticed a few months later that property had a new manager.

Any other time that I've had (minor) issues, the hotel has handled it to my satisfaction immediately after I notified them.

Frankly it sounds to me like you are trying to make yourself believe that a Motel 6 (or I'll add Knights Inn, Days Inn, Red Roof Inn) is as nice as a Marriott, Hilton, Omni, Hyatt, etc.

By the way, of course you'll never be disappointed in a Motel 6. When you expect the crappy room that you get, there's no reason for disappointment.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 PM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
IIRC, Motel 6 did try to force franchisees to do upgrades after it was bought out by Accor but the franchisees pretty much revolted and threatened to take their properties to a less picky hotel group. Which is too bad because Accor has some good budget properties in Europe and I think there's a narrow niche in between Holiday Inn Express/Hampton Inn and Days Inn/Super 8 where they could have repositioned as an Ibis-like brand that's similar to but more modern-looking than La Quinta.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:00 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Frankly it sounds to me like you are trying to make yourself believe that a Motel 6 (or I'll add Knights Inn, Days Inn, Red Roof Inn) is as nice as a Marriott, Hilton, Omni, Hyatt, etc.

By the way, of course you'll never be disappointed in a Motel 6. When you expect the crappy room that you get, there's no reason for disappointment.
If someone feels compelled to start a thread about how "frayed around the edges" the Marriott is, you might want to address your remarks to that poster. As I did.

Quite honestly, I take quite a bit of pleasure from having no reasons for disappointment in my comfort zone. It's nice to never say "I just blew 200 bucks on a room and the AC still doesn't work." I get what I pay for -- but apparently the OP doesn't.
Quote:
Where you live and the cost of living there is of no interest or concern to me.
Absolutely nothing that you have ever gloatingly written about your lavish and majestic lifestyle is of any interest or concern to me, but go ahead and keep posting, there are lots of different people out there.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-28-2014 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 02:04 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,787,241 times
Seriously, jtur88, your bragging about how you don't spend any money on anything is getting to be a bit tiresome and just as snobby as those bragging about never spending less than $500 on anything. Give it a rest. There's nothing wrong with pointing out cheap options and alternatives, but the way you keep harping on about how you never spend money and how you cannot imagine how/why anyone would spend more is played out.

I've lived and traveled quite a bit around the world and in that time I've traveled dirt cheap, I've splurged at times, I've spent moderately as well. I can see the benefits of the different types of travel depending on the situation. Different people travel for different reasons and get different things out of it -- I would not presume tell everyone how they should travel in order to "be contented". I try not to assume that if someone doesn't travel like me, they must not enjoy it as much as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD
Any in Paris or New York?
We stayed at the Renaissance at Trocadero several years ago and it was absolutely top-notch. Location, service, and price(!).

Old 06-29-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
IIRC, Motel 6 did try to force franchisees to do upgrades after it was bought out by Accor but the franchisees pretty much revolted and threatened to take their properties to a less picky hotel group. Which is too bad because Accor has some good budget properties in Europe and I think there's a narrow niche in between Holiday Inn Express/Hampton Inn and Days Inn/Super 8 where they could have repositioned as an Ibis-like brand that's similar to but more modern-looking than La Quinta.
About the only chains that are worse are Knights Inns, Scottish Inns, and Red Carpet Inns, the latter of which should all just be demolished.

Holiday Inns were often in pretty dire shape (and the rates reflected that) and IHG forced all franchisees to do massive overhauls over the past 5-10 years. I had written them off years ago, but then stayed at a couple of the rehabbed properties for conferences a few years ago and what a turn around--as nice as most Hiltons or Marriotts. Now I think it's time for them to do the same for Crowne Plazas. They aren't bad, but need updating.

PS--the Holiday Inn franchisees who wouldn't or couldn't upgrade and overhaul got booted. It seems that many became Days Inns and Ramadas, and some of the exterior corridor properties became Travelodges.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:31 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,319,168 times
Well, well, well. What a surprise. A little controversy. Hmmm.

Lest I don't collect my thoughts well at 0500 please forgive. I don't have any issues meeting good and decent people, even some of the not so decent have their stories to tell and I have stayed at many of the properties which are less than ($200.00) and had some interesting adventures....so let's not assume jtur88 that by some reach you know the world any better (or cheaper) than I. If you were "real people" you and your kin would most likely would already know that so I guess income or Texas do not oblige manners when you posted.

To pull back from the din, (hold on... the in room service just poured coffee) I, like many, travel to roll where I am greeted with courtesy and respect, a willing hand and smile on the road of life... where my last concern is when the sheets were washed. I work very hard for that money, much harder than most, and if I elect to spend money on my temporary domicile, now, as I can afford it, please spare me the juvenile bs that somehow your accommodations or your reasoning are superior to mine. Jesus, where do people get off intruding into a perfectly rational discussion with comments like that. It's like a person on my bumper...do I stop and introduce them to my tow hitch or do I let them go? Decisions decisions.

In any case, and not to digress, Ma Foie, I may be condescending here...save me Jesus.

Thanks for the rec on the Paris Hotel. Nothing like the French to show a neighbor a good time.

We stayed at the Renassaince Nob Hill SF just before Christmas a couple years ago. The rooms were small, but the atmosphere with the city empty and the Hotel on the cable car line was simple and charming.

Please forgive my ire. It's just that others start talking about "real people" I really pale. If you insist to hijack my thread about other issues (yours); please, do us the courtesy we often find at Marriott, and,.... pass; longhorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or