U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:06 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Well, well, well. What a surprise. A little controversy. Hmmm.

Lest I don't collect my thoughts well at 0500 please forgive. I don't have any issues meeting good and decent people, even some of the not so decent have their stories to tell and I have stayed at many of the properties which are less than ($200.00) and had some interesting adventures....so let's not assume jtur88 that by some reach you know the world any better (or cheaper) than I. If you were "real people" you and your kin would most likely would already know that so I guess income or Texas do not oblige manners when you posted.

To pull back from the din, (hold on... the in room service just poured coffee) I, like many, travel to roll where I am greeted with courtesy and respect, a willing hand and smile on the road of life... where my last concern is when the sheets were washed. I work very hard for that money, much harder than most, and if I elect to spend money on my temporary domicile, now, as I can afford it, please spare me the juvenile bs that somehow your accommodations or your reasoning are superior to mine. Jesus, where do people get off intruding into a perfectly rational discussion with comments like that. It's like a person on my bumper...do I stop and introduce them to my tow hitch or do I let them go? Decisions decisions.

In any case, and not to digress, Ma Foie, I may be condescending here...save me Jesus.

Thanks for the rec on the Paris Hotel. Nothing like the French to show a neighbor a good time.

We stayed at the Renassaince Nob Hill SF just before Christmas a couple years ago. The rooms were small, but the atmosphere with the city empty and the Hotel on the cable car line was simple and charming.

Please forgive my ire. It's just that others start talking about "real people" I really pale. If you insist to hijack my thread about other issues (yours); please, do us the courtesy we often find at Marriott, and,.... pass; longhorn.
Holy unwarranted self importance batman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 07:48 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Well, well, well. What a surprise. A little controversy. Hmmm.

Lest I don't collect my thoughts well at 0500 please forgive. I don't have any issues meeting good and decent people, even some of the not so decent have their stories to tell and I have stayed at many of the properties which are less than ($200.00) and had some interesting adventures....so let's not assume jtur88 that by some reach you know the world any better (or cheaper) than I. If you were "real people" you and your kin would most likely would already know that so I guess income or Texas do not oblige manners when you posted.

To pull back from the din, (hold on... the in room service just poured coffee) I, like many, travel to roll where I am greeted with courtesy and respect, a willing hand and smile on the road of life... where my last concern is when the sheets were washed. I work very hard for that money, much harder than most, and if I elect to spend money on my temporary domicile, now, as I can afford it, please spare me the juvenile bs that somehow your accommodations or your reasoning are superior to mine. Jesus, where do people get off intruding into a perfectly rational discussion with comments like that. It's like a person on my bumper...do I stop and introduce them to my tow hitch or do I let them go? Decisions decisions.

In any case, and not to digress, Ma Foie, I may be condescending here...save me Jesus.

Thanks for the rec on the Paris Hotel. Nothing like the French to show a neighbor a good time.

We stayed at the Renassaince Nob Hill SF just before Christmas a couple years ago. The rooms were small, but the atmosphere with the city empty and the Hotel on the cable car line was simple and charming.

Please forgive my ire. It's just that others start talking about "real people" I really pale. If you insist to hijack my thread about other issues (yours); please, do us the courtesy we often find at Marriott, and,.... pass; longhorn.
You started the thread. It is your issue, all I did was to offer an alternative to your crushing dilemma, that nowadays seems to be so common among a certain economic class. We just can't get good help anymore. Massa works so hard, he deserves our "courtesy and respect, and willing hand and smile" and all the rest. Where clean sheets just magically appear, without anybody except Massa doing any hard work. Your truly rational discussion, from which you must be spared the dissent.

Surely, somewhere, there is a forum site where the rich and famous can discuss these things, with moderators to keep the riffraff from sullying your mutual gloating with opinions you believe you have a right to be insulated from. You don't get it, do you. We are laughing at you, because you are wearing no clothes. None of us envy you, none of us would trade places with you. None of us want to ostentatiously light cigars in your hotel lobby with dollar bills, none of us want to be hated and despised by the lowly hotel staff who have learned to smile so glowingly at you. and call you the "Sir" that validates you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We stayed at the Renaissance at Trocadero several years ago and it was absolutely top-notch. Location, service, and price(!).
You've just upped the ante to "as low as" $450 a night, for a bargain-shoppers steal. Surely, there is somebody here who can brag about routinely spending more than that for a room of minimum acceptable standards.. I wouldn't want to see this princely discussion wither for lack of opulence. There must be a hotel room whose lowest daily rate exceeds the daily cash limit at the ATM, which someone can recommend for its economical price..

Last edited by jtur88; 06-29-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 AM

6,153 posts, read 6,321,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
About the only chains that are worse are Knights Inns, Scottish Inns, and Red Carpet Inns, the latter of which should all just be demolished.
While if need be I can set my standards pretty low, I will sleep in my car, or on the floor at the airport, or even on a park bench before I ever stay at another Red Carpet Inn. I had the displeasure of staying at one in NJ. From the parking lot it actually looked pretty nice. It was not until I got to the lobby door that I noticed the three hand written signs taped to the door.

1. The microwave is for guest use only from 8am to 6pm.

2. Only registered guests are allowed in the room. Anyone caught with other people in the room will be evicted and their money will not be returned.

And then there was my favorite one.

3. The wearing of bed clothes in the lobby is not allowed.

The next clue this was going to be awful was the stench of whatever it was they were cooking in the office. The entire lobby reeked of this odor. As expected I could hear the people in the rooms to either side of me. However this is the only place I have ever stayed where I could also hear the guests in the room below me. The bathroom supplies consisted of a towel and a roll of toilet paper. No soap or shampoo. This place was so bad it even appeared the Gideons chose to not leave a bible in the room as there was not one.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 06-29-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 07:57 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
I like to be carried up to my suite and would it kill someone to play trumpets at my arrival?

Old 06-29-2014, 09:39 AM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
For $200 or possibly a little less in Paris, we just had a really pleasant stay at the Holiday Inn-Montmarte. In bigger cities, I like being a little bit back from the tourism fray, near mass transit, and in a neighborhood with some shops more focused on the locals. It was a bit of a walk from the matro station, maybe 5-10 minutes, and the uphill was not fun with suitcases, but there were restaurants, a greengrocer, a nice bakery, and a Carrefour Express right nearby and you could go back toward the metro station for even more restaurants. Property was well-kept. Front desk clerk was very helpful and spoke English very well. And while our room was not huge, it was adequate by European standards, came with a functional cube fridge and had a giant wall of windows overlooking a generally quiet grassy courtyard, which made it feel bigger than it was. Only complaint was the incessant promoting of the 20 euro a head hotel breakfast when we'd rather do our own far cheaper continental breakfast with croissants from the bakery, bananas from the greengrocer, and tea and soda from the Carrefour.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:47 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,319,168 times
. Massa works so hard, he deserves our "courtesy and respect, and willing hand and smile" and all the rest. Where clean sheets just magically appear, without anybody except Massa doing any hard work. Your truly rational discussion, from which you must be spared the dissent.

Surely, somewhere, there is a forum site where the rich and famous can discuss these things, with moderators to keep the riffraff from sullying your mutual gloating with opinions you believe you have a right to be insulated from. You don't get it, do you. We are laughing at you, because you are wearing no clothes. None of us envy you, none of us would trade places with you. None of us want to ostentatiously light cigars in your hotel lobby with dollar bills, none of us want to be hated and despised by the lowly hotel staff who have learned to smile so glowingly at you. and call you the "Sir" that validates you.

These are your projections son. ^^Like I said, please pass. This is not your garbage dump and while you may choose to sleep in one, I don't.

Last edited by AADAD; 06-29-2014 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 AM

However jtur, your use of the english verbiage is really funny. I mean it. You have a way with words and in spite of our disagreement on hotels I spend this morning chuckling at how you paint the picture. Thumb up.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:57 PM

8,187 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
However jtur, your use of the english verbiage is really funny. I mean it. You have a way with words and in spite of our disagreement on hotels I spend this morning chuckling at how you paint the picture. Thumb up.
I, too, think he deserves a thumb up.

However, I'll stop short of saying up where.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 PM

8,187 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
.... but I wondered if other travelers who like the Marriotts were also seeing some fraying around the edges.
I too, have been both gold & platinum off and on for a number of years. In fact, I've been a Marriott Rewards member since the program first began in the mid '80s. I've stayed at Marriott properties throughout the country as well as international locations such as London, Paris, Barcelona, Hong Kong, Bangkok, and others. With respect to your specific question, I've noticed some "fraying" with their second-tier brands, but not with their flagship properties.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 AM

Thanks. Overall I have been pleased perhaps that is why the issues are front and center. I also think that the property manager himself is the one who leads I think.

In CO last year the AC shut off without movement in the room so during a hot weekend my wife and daughter in their rooms had to move around to "set" it again. We protested and were offered an apology. I let them know that I was disappointed that they would check them in knowing this was an issue. I requested 2 free nights as compensation and got 40k points. I advanced the issue.

At the Las Vegas M there was no hot water and in spite of our request it was not fixed by day 2 so we departed. The first time I have had to leave a hotel due to an issue. I chatted with the manager who was reluctant to offer any nights so we settled for 50k points. His attitude left me unimpressed.

I think that Marriott does a good job but in the previous years these were not present at all. Most recently in Anchorage the wi fi was more like dial up. When we returned from fishing and staying at another Marriott property for better wi fi the flagship M refused to allow us use of the fish freezer. It's things like that which disappoint me and while I consider another brand the majority of the properties work well for me with a great rewards program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or