Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 08:00 AM

166 posts, read 368,815 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

A friend of mine is visiting the US next weekend. First the family will be traveling to the other part of the country and then going to spend a couple of weeks in the NorthEast.

They will be landing at Newark airport terminal C. To avoid expenses of the luggage during further travel, I will be collecting their luggage at EWR. I am weighing my parking options. I unable to drive due to some back injury so DW has to drive me down there.

My options are,
- Short time parking at EWR (including all E-Z pass toll booths as you get into EWR and out, plus the actual parking cost)
- Parking near Amtrak Newark Airport Station and taking AirTrain to the terminal.
- Parking at some mall in that neighborhood and then I go to the airport to pick up the luggage using AirTrain till DW does some shopping at the mall, instead of sitting in hot car in sweltering heat.
I don't how much either of these will cost.

What is my most cost effective option? If the last option is the best one, would love to know which mall DW can spend time at.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 08:08 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,955,366 times
So They are Flying thru EWR, on a connection? But attempting to Check there bags to EWR? And you are going to collect them? Not sure the airline will let them do that.

Park in Short-Term Parking get bags, be out in >30mins Pay the $4.

Option 4. Have DW drop you Terminal C, you go in Collect the bags (Get porter) , DW does loop around airports and comes back and picks you up @ Curb.

Last edited by flyonpa; 07-05-2014 at 08:24 AM..

Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
For crying out loud, for the 30 minutes you'll be there, just park in short term parking. If you have such a bad back that you can't drive, how do you expect to handle all that luggage on a shuttle or train?

Pull into short term, get a porter to help with the luggage, call your wife to pull the car around as you see the last piece come off the conveyor. You are really over thinking this.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:18 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,251,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
So They are Flying thru EWR, on a connection? But attempting to Check there bags to EWR? And you are going to collect them? Not sure the airline will let them do that.
It sounds like they are flying internationally, so their bags will terminate in EWR to go through customs. I imagine they're meeting OP to give him the luggage before their next flight.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:56 AM

166 posts, read 368,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
They are traveling internationally but you raise a good point. I didn't think of it. My friend told me that he has to collect the bags at terminal C and take them to US Airways check in counter to check them in again. Although he does get to check the luggage at his originating airport. There are only 2 bags that we are talking about.

My back is little tricky case. I can drive and I do drive but I am not taking any chances if anything happens when I am driving. I can very well pull the bags, put them on the train, it doesn't bother me much. I always use JFK so I am not well versed with EWR. At least in JFK case, you do not have to pick the bag even once until you are out of Air Train station to load it in the vehicle.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,955,366 times
They will need to Walk the bags out to you. Custom's Baggage carousel are not the one that are you see when you go to the baggage area of Terminal C (or B.) The Custom ones are with-in the secured zone.

They will need new boarding passes for there connecting flight (they should have them anyway, to re-clear security. )

USAir Run out of Terminal A they will need to take the AirTrain from C to A. (What airline are they coming in on?) Some Airlines use Terminal B for Customs.

They can do Bag Re-Check after clearing customs, and not have to haul the bags thru the airport.

Since they want to save on US Check'ed baggage fees, makes sense to leave them with you in NJ, and just go with Carry on's.

Saying all that, Park in Short Term Parking, Both of you go in to airport, say hello to them, get there bags, load them in the car, Maybe dinner @ the airport (How long is there Layover?)

Old 07-05-2014, 01:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
I don't use EWR much, but I don't think there are really any places for dinner outside the sterile concourse. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:22 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,251,416 times
Terminal C doesn't have a lot (I think Starbucks, etc), but Terminal A has a food court pre-security.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,172,248 times
You might want post this on the New Jersey forum for more replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel