Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:42 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times

Advertisements

I am interested to travel to South Africa but can anyone tell me what i can anticipate or what are the must dos the day when i do travel there ?

What is SoUTH Africa famous for as a travel destination ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am interested to travel to South Africa but can anyone tell me what i can anticipate or what are the must dos the day when i do travel there ?

What is SoUTH Africa famous for as a travel destination ?
they speak English/Afrikaans and have great safaries. Lesotho is within the country and you can visit Mozambique

Old 05-07-2014, 02:58 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
I'm in South Africa right now. Just spent 5 days in Cape Town and I am now at Kruger National Park. Just came back from a game drive and we have several hours of "down time" until the next game drive. I'll be here for 5 days, then going to Johannesberg for 2 days. Fying up to Zambia to see Victoria Falls and Botswana.

To answer your question: Its a difficult question to answer. You have to be a little more specific. What is it you are looking for? Cape Town was wonderful. You can hike up Table Mountain or take a cable car. The Victoria and Alfred Wharf has great shopping and restaurants. You can also take boat rides, helicopters, et al from here. The District 6 Museum is wonderful, as is the Jewish Museum. Camps Bay and Hout Bay are great places to visit and don't forget Cape Point.

There is great wine tasting in and around Cape Town too. However, I don't drink wine, therefore never went on any tours. You can also go Great White Shark Cage Diving. I was going and it was cancelled due to weather.

The safari I am currently on is great. Kruger National Park is know for its varied wild life and you can pay for a cheap tent only, to grand scale safari's with motel's, etc. Many places just outside of the park, which cater to all sorts of lifestyles.

Durbin and Port Elizabeth are major stops for people too. Especially who like the beaches. Right now isn't beach weather though. You can also see were the major battles of the Zulu war were fought.

I'd take your time, do some research (trip advisor is a good start), buy a guide book, then decide how long and what it is you want to see.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I'm in South Africa right now. Just spent 5 days in Cape Town and I am now at Kruger National Park. Just came back from a game drive and we have several hours of "down time" until the next game drive. I'll be here for 5 days, then going to Johannesberg for 2 days. Fying up to Zambia to see Victoria Falls and Botswana.

To answer your question: Its a difficult question to answer. You have to be a little more specific. What is it you are looking for? Cape Town was wonderful. You can hike up Table Mountain or take a cable car. The Victoria and Alfred Wharf has great shopping and restaurants. You can also take boat rides, helicopters, et al from here. The District 6 Museum is wonderful, as is the Jewish Museum. Camps Bay and Hout Bay are great places to visit and don't forget Cape Point.

There is great wine tasting in and around Cape Town too. However, I don't drink wine, therefore never went on any tours. You can also go Great White Shark Cage Diving. I was going and it was cancelled due to weather.

The safari I am currently on is great. Kruger National Park is know for its varied wild life and you can pay for a cheap tent only, to grand scale safari's with motel's, etc. Many places just outside of the park, which cater to all sorts of lifestyles.

Durbin and Port Elizabeth are major stops for people too. Especially who like the beaches. Right now isn't beach weather though. You can also see were the major battles of the Zulu war were fought.

I'd take your time, do some research (trip advisor is a good start), buy a guide book, then decide how long and what it is you want to see.
I like exciting stuff.. Not bungee jumping though..

Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
In Cape Town you have tons of options: Paragliding, abseiling off Table Mountain, etc. Of course on a safari, you are literally 3 yards from wild lions, in an open 4x4. You can also arrange hot air ballooning. I have not made it up to Zambia yet, however I am taking a helicopter ride over Victoria Falls which is supposed to be awesome.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:36 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I suggest you combine your trip with a visit to Botswana which is considered "the jewel" of the southern part of Africa.

In South Africa, I suggest you visit the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site:
Gauteng Tourism Authority

Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 PM

141 posts, read 205,728 times
Quote:
Go shark cage diving. I regret that I never did that the few times I visited Cape Town.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osric View Post
Go shark cage diving. I regret that I never did that the few times I visited Cape Town.
Oh, C'mon......going cage diving w/sharks is like being the best flag football player!!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
SA is famous for its high crime rate. Be careful.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
SA is famous for its high crime rate. Be careful.
Quit living in the past. I just got back from South Africa. I spent 25 days there. Never felt threatened, afraid, or scared.

South Africa is a great country and, moreover, a SAFE COUNTRY. These people who say it isn't, have never been there.

I walked around Cape Town, Joberg, et al, alone, at all times of the day/night. I was NEVER approached or accosted.

Go, South Africa is magical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel