Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for things to do, I may be there for a week on business in a few months. Good pubs and restaurants? I'm 40, not really into clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Been there several years ago! Beautiful old city. Lots to see. Budapest Sightseeing - City Tours by Bus
Good food. Budapest Restaurants
Good wine - Wine Tasting in Budapest - Faust Wine Cellar in Buda Castle & Other Places to Sample Hungarian Wines
special treat: Danube Cruise in Budapest - Sightseeing Boat Tour with Lunch or Dinner
Very friendly people.

Budapest travel guide - Telegraph
Top Budapest: travel guide, travel tips - Budapest Hungary: Dos & Don'ts lots of practical tips
this is a good read too: Budapest - Budapest Travel Guide and Information - Budapest, an Insider's Guide The Best Travel Guide to Budapest
Top Budapest: travel guide, travel tips - Budapest Hungary: Dos & Don'ts good to know

In few months it will be late Fall or Winter there. Still very pretty but also cold. Be prepared accordingly. Budapest Weather
And take a camera with you -too many beautiful places to admire.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Looking at some of those sites makes it seem like everyone is trying to rip you off.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:13 PM

???
Europe is not cheap, and has different standards. Tourists are prone to getting ripped off pretty much anywhere in the world.
Slow Travel - Europe Trip Planning, Avoiding Theft, Don't Get Ripped Off When Traveling
Slow Travel - Budapest, Hungary: A Long Weekend
Dangers, warnings, annoyances in Budapest, Hungary good link with city guide

Old 07-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Budapest Live Streaming Video, Budapest Live Webcam, Live Weather Camera Budapest nice

Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Looking at some of those sites makes it seem like everyone is trying to rip you off.
They are. We had to stop a taxi that was charging us 7X the normal rate. Finally agreed to take us for the correct price. I also heard lots of stories of women meeting up with men at the bars and asking for a drink. Then they get a $100 charge for that drink. This was 15 years ago, I hope things have changed but be careful.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Definitely check out some of the baths they have. Really nice and relaxing. The one I went to had a couple of large pools, a lap pool, and number of sauna/steam rooms.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:49 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,327 times
I am going to Budapest next week so that I revive this thread, my main questions are:

- About baths, Geller or Széchenyi?? Széchenyi looks more beautiful but people recommend Geller ones.
- Transfer Airport- Hotel. Anything cheaper than AirportShuttle.hu - Az utazás velünk kezd ??
- Best way to visit Bratislava in one day? From Budapest, I suppose by train but... tips please??

And whatever you want to tell me is welcome

Old 06-28-2014, 12:09 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I am going to Budapest next week so that I revive this thread, my main questions are:

- About baths, Geller or Széchenyi?? Széchenyi looks more beautiful but people recommend Geller ones.
- Transfer Airport- Hotel. Anything cheaper than AirportShuttle.hu - Az utazás velünk kezd ??
- Best way to visit Bratislava in one day? From Budapest, I suppose by train but... tips please??

And whatever you want to tell me is welcome
- Never went to one of the baths, sorry

- Just take Bus 200E to Kőbánya-Kispest and then switch to Metro Line M3 €1.70 (530HUF if I remember correctly). The buses are quite modern, just don't forget to buy a ticket.

- Train takes ~3h. They leave both from Keleti and Nyugati. Buses also take ~3h, but may be a bit cheaper.
Bus from Budapest to Bratislava - Bratislava to Budapest by bus
If I were you, I'd stay over night. You are spending 6h on the train and you'll need some time to get to the centre. Bratislava is quite nice and easily worth more than an afternoon

- Visit the "ruin bars". Especially "Szimpla kert". They are great fun in the summer.
Ruinpubs in Budapest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel