U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-27-2014, 06:50 AM
 
Location: The Northeast - hoping one day the Northwest!
1,107 posts, read 1,129,066 times
Reputation: 1003

Advertisements

In a few weeks, I will be moving back to CT from Florida. Hubby is already currently there, he's starting a new job. I stayed behind to sell off our stuff. I'm moving up the end of July.

So, long story short, I've done the 95 things a few times (3 times south, 1 time north) and that route is rather boring. When we did the north route, we went around NYC and in Maryland ended up going west to pick up I-81 in PA to I-84. I know most routes will be boring, it just would be nice to see other sights.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? One way google suggested was going 95 until SC, then I-26 west to I-81. That might be some pretty views. Has anyone gone this way? I know it will take a little longer, but really what is 1 1/2 more hrs. Besides, the traffic that I would hit around the DC Beltway and NJ turnpike, it might end up being the same amount of time, plus I save the money in tolls.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2014, 07:57 AM
 
13,161 posts, read 20,783,837 times
Reputation: 35417
I would take 75 from Tampa to Atlanta, and 85 to exit 70 in SC, which is I-26. We've also used I-77 through NC to hit 81, but have run into some construction delays there. It's been about 3 yrs, so I'm not sure of current conditions.

I just did the 85 to 26 drive last week between Atlanta and Asheville. I was able to drive at 70 mph the entire way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
Reputation: 9980
Interesting blog from yesterday... FL To NorthEast...

AWAY is HOME – An interstate highway dilemma: Should you take 75 — or 95?

I26 is not overly exceeding marsh, flatland's of SC. but its different...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Mtns of Waynesville,NC & Nokomis, FL
4,242 posts, read 8,080,146 times
Reputation: 5293
If a couple+ more hours are not a concern to OP and one wants a slight change of view, as she stated, I would also vote for hitting I-26 up in SC, into NC, to Johnson City and on to I-81 north...

I-26 from Asheville to J City is very pretty, as is some of I-81 in southern VA and much of PA, vs the I-95 rolling parking lot drone.

However, If OP is not concerned by 'ATL traffic', I would actually roll north from Tampa on I-75, up through GA, going right through ATL on I-75, or around it on 285, assuming I wasn't hitting ATL area at 'rush hour', and north/north east on toward I-26. We make that run a couple times a year from SW FL to western NC...


95 to I-26 into SC & NC, to I-81:
https://goo.gl/maps/pu72S

Tampa to Asheville, then I-26 to I-81 North to CT:
https://goo.gl/maps/nPOjX

GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 AM
 
Location: The Northeast - hoping one day the Northwest!
1,107 posts, read 1,129,066 times
Reputation: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
If a couple+ more hours are not a concern to OP and one wants a slight change of view, as she stated, I would also vote for hitting I-26 up in SC, into NC, to Johnson City and on to I-81 north...

I-26 from Asheville to J City is very pretty, as is some of I-81 in southern VA and much of PA, vs the I-95 rolling parking lot drone.

However, If OP is not concerned by 'ATL traffic', I would actually roll north from Tampa on I-75, up through GA, going right through ATL on I-75, or around it on 285, assuming I wasn't hitting ATL area at 'rush hour', and north/north east on toward I-26. We make that run a couple times a year from SW FL to western NC...


95 to I-26 into SC & NC, to I-81:
https://goo.gl/maps/pu72S

Tampa to Asheville, then I-26 to I-81 North to CT:
https://goo.gl/maps/nPOjX

GL, mD

Wow - I really like the 2nd route. Thank you for the suggestion, PLUS I can stop in TN. That is one state that I have not been to yet. I would love to hit all 50 states. Looking at google images, this way is MUCH prettier than 95... rolling mountains and nice landscape. According to google, it might end up being only 2 hrs longer also,(vs the 95 way) which isn't bad at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 AM
 
Location: The Northeast - hoping one day the Northwest!
1,107 posts, read 1,129,066 times
Reputation: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Interesting blog from yesterday... FL To NorthEast...

AWAY is HOME An interstate highway dilemma: Should you take 75 or 95?

I26 is not overly exceeding marsh, flatland's of SC. but its different...

Thank you for the link!! It was really interesting reading it. 75 sounds really nice!

What I decided to do was go 75 north, get a hotel in Chattanooga. Then, drive up to WV and get a hotel around that area. Then, drive from there to CT going through PA. Since I was already avoiding NYC (which added on about 1 hr) - this alternative way adds maybe another 1.5 hrs? So, at most 2.5 hours. I want this to be a relaxing and enjoyable drive, and from looking at images, this will be ideal. Atlanta might be not as relaxing, but maybe... I'll see some "walkers" (fan of walking dead here!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 10:58 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
Reputation: 9980
well, Unless you want to go to Chattanooga.

When you get to Atlanta take I85 to Charlotte and then I77 to I81 to Pa.

If you going to southern CT, I would get onto i78 in PA, to i287N in NJ, to I87 over Hudson River then cross To southern CT.

For Central CT I81 to I84 to CT,

ALot depends on what time of day you will hit things. If you will hit NYC (50 miles in any direction from it) at rush hour, Stay on I81->I84
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 08:54 AM
 
Location: The Northeast - hoping one day the Northwest!
1,107 posts, read 1,129,066 times
Reputation: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
well, Unless you want to go to Chattanooga.

When you get to Atlanta take I85 to Charlotte and then I77 to I81 to Pa.

If you going to southern CT, I would get onto i78 in PA, to i287N in NJ, to I87 over Hudson River then cross To southern CT.

For Central CT I81 to I84 to CT,

ALot depends on what time of day you will hit things. If you will hit NYC (50 miles in any direction from it) at rush hour, Stay on I81->I84
Well, it's not so much of me wanting to go to Chattanooga... I want to see every state and TN is another state to check off that I've seen. (Sure not much, but at least it would be something)

Yeah, I would be going 81 to 84 as I lived about 20 mins east of Hartford. Thanks for the tip about the traffic around NYC. NYC at rush hour must be a nightmare and a half! I don't want to experience that. Plus their rush hour, I'm guessing is probably a lot longer than the standard rush hour traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 09:19 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,430 posts, read 1,666,491 times
Reputation: 8658
We've do the route to 95 to I-26 in SC to 81 to 84 coming home from south of Tampa. It is such a lovely drive when you hit the rolling hills that turn into mountains when going into Virginia. For us it's an extra 100 miles compared to I95 but there is much less congestion and our arrival time ends up being the same with either route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top