Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 PM

102 posts, read 139,263 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have such a long move ahead of me this summer, it is a little overwhelming.

Do any of you have any suggestions for the best tool to plan this trip? This application would ideally include places of interest, lodging, etc.

I also have another question that some of you may be able to answer. There are two routes to Southern California from South Carolina.

The first, takes I-40 through Little Rock, OKC, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff. The second, takes I-20 and I-10 through Dallas, El Paso, Tucson, and Phoenix. Both take about the same time.

I would prefer not to avoid that excruciating drive from OKC to Albuquerque, but I also would like to avoid the bigger cities on the southern route. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 02:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
What are your interests? What do you want to see? How long do you have to make the trip? is it one way or with a return?

Old 06-27-2014, 03:45 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
In summer I wouldn't go any farther south than absolutely necessary. I10 to San Diego is REALLY hot and empty. And that's in the winter. I40 is somewhat varied.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I've been playing around with Rand McNally Road Explorer lately as well as AAA TripTiks (which is now free to everyone, not just members.)

Old 06-27-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
In summer I wouldn't go any farther south than absolutely necessary. I10 to San Diego is REALLY hot and empty. And that's in the winter. I40 is somewhat varied.
We drove I-10 last July, no problems. The A/C in the car kept up fine, even when it was 117 out.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:55 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
^^^ as annerk asked, what is your time frame and your interests?
With some parameters, you will get a plethora of opins and ideas...
Canned road/route/TTD planners are just that, imo.
GL, mD

Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 PM

102 posts, read 139,263 times
Hey, everyone. Thanks for the responses.

I will be going with my wife (unfortunately, in two separate cars), so we will probably be in a hotel or camping for 3 nights. I would say that we really just like authentic places and experiences, so maybe some interesting bed and breakfasts? I am really not sure how much exploring we will do, because we would like to make good timing, so I really don't need specific suggestions. Has anyone else made that trip?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:43 AM

Unless you are going to be pulling a camper with A/C (which is not suggested across the desert in the summer) I would not plan on camping.

With only three nights, you aren't going to have time to stop and see things. We drove cross country last summer, it took three nights from Orlando to Anaheim--which is about the same distance as Columbia to Redlands. We were pretty much driving or sleeping the entire time. We had an evening in Phoenix and an evening in Las Vegas, but otherwise we were either driving or sleeping.

Because you will both be driving the entire time, I would plan on not having much time to stop and see anything--we were in one car and able to rest/nap while the other drove, so we could drive 16-18 hours a day safely.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH89 View Post
Hi everyone, I have such a long move ahead of me this summer, it is a little overwhelming.

Do any of you have any suggestions for the best tool to plan this trip? This application would ideally include places of interest, lodging, etc.

I also have another question that some of you may be able to answer. There are two routes to Southern California from South Carolina.

The first, takes I-40 through Little Rock, OKC, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff. The second, takes I-20 and I-10 through Dallas, El Paso, Tucson, and Phoenix. Both take about the same time.

I would prefer not to avoid that excruciating drive from OKC to Albuquerque, but I also would like to avoid the bigger cities on the southern route. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much, everyone.
When we moved from Los Angeles to DC and went through So Ca we did the 1-20 and I-10. Except for the boredom, driving through so Texas it wasn't a bad drive at all. The I 40 route is easy but awful!!! The real only big city you go though is Dallas and even then you are though in no time: oh yes, Phoenix as well, but just keep driving and you will be on the freeway the entire time. We have done the I 40 thing many times. We used to live in ABQ and drive to Dallas to visit kids or drive to Laughlin or Vegas for adult fun. Then prior to moving here we visited several times, plus our granddaughter lived in OKC. The drive is just plain ugly almost the entire way.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Are you kidding? Going through OKC, and AZ is pretty crappy as well. Seriously, I hear you, but I don't think it really makes much difference. Both ways are hot, hot, hot and not much to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel