U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 7,918 times

Advertisements

This is not a question about which of them is better; I know they're both great in their own ways. Rather, I want to know the difference between the two cities in terms of:

1. Stuff to do and to see
2. Culture
3. Costs (B&B or Hostels)
4. Types of people
5. Weather (Summer and Fall)
6. Public Transportation
7. Events (like rock concerts, parades, etc.)
8. Miscellaneous

I am planning a week or so trip in the future with either city. I'm in my 20s and pretty open-minded. Sorry if I repeated this questions as I'm still new in this forum. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,829,223 times
I used to live within a couple hours driving distance from Chicago, and I haven't spent much time in Boston, so I can help you with at least 50% of the question.

Chicago:

1. Lots. The Shedd Aquarium and Willis Towers were some of my favorite "Touristy" things to see. If you are active, Lakeshore is a great place to run/walk.

2. I would say like any other big city. I really liked Chicago and people from it, they're a very nice and attractive bunch.

3. I usually stayed in 4/5 star hotels Downtown. There are a lot of hotels competing for guests, so they are somewhat pricey, but not bad for downtown hotels. The Palomar was quite nice.

4. Lots, like any big city.

5. Warm to Hot, but not terrible, the lake cools it off

6. There are subways, but everyone seems to drive myself included. Traffic isn't bad at all. It's a far cry from NYC.

7. Tons.

8. The Airport sucks. O'Hare cancels or delays three out of every three flights.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:31 PM

6,071 posts, read 8,361,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interxavier View Post
This is not a question about which of them is better; I know they're both great in their own ways. Rather, I want to know the difference between the two cities in terms of:

2. Culture
4. Types of people
6. Public Transportation
8. Miscellaneous

I am planning a week or so trip in the future with either city. I'm in my 20s and pretty open-minded. Sorry if I repeated this questions as I'm still new in this forum. Thanks a lot.
I've recently been to both and enjoyed them both a lot. Boston has a lot of cool history. We mostly walked around a lot. We did the Duck tour to get a feel for the city. We had some really awesome seafood and I enjoyed walking around the harbor area. In Chicago, I did the architecture boat tour which was amazing, went to the Art Institute, had drinks at the top of the Hancock building at night, and again just lots of walking around seeing the sights. Millennium Park is a good place to hang out and people watch. The people in Chicago are so friendly! Not that the people in Boston weren't, but in Chicago everyone seemed to be out having a great time and really enjoying themselves. I went to Boston in summer and it was so hot. If I went back I'd probably go in fall or spring. I did Chicago in late spring and the weather was perfect. Both cities have lots to see and do and lots of culture. I didn't use public transportation in either places - walking or cabs. I wish I had had time to catch some sporting events.

I stayed in nice hotels in both places. We found a deal at the Palmer House in Chicago and it was wonderful. If you want to stay in nice places and eat at good restaurants you can expect it to be pretty expensive. I'm sure there are cheaper ways to see these cities, but I was only there for a few days and I wasn't worried about budgeting. Either is a great choice!

Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,463,128 times
I live in metro Boston, and spent last week in Chicago.

1. Stuff to do and to see: More or less equal. But, which Chicago having 2 million more residents, and Chicagoland having 5 million more residents than Boston, more to do. Once you include New England, Boston is way ahead.

2. Culture: Boston. Highest concentration of college educated people in the country. Highest concentration of colleges in the country (I think).
Chicago's nothing to complain about though.

3. Costs (B&B or Hostels): Chicago is marginally cheaper. Not much though. Chicago is 9% more expensive than Boston. Updated Jun 2014 - Cost of Living. . Groceries and lodging are cheaper in Chicago. Everything else is more expensive.

4. Types of people: Boston's got more college educated, white collar workforce. Chicago's got a larger blue collar population.

5. Weather (Summer and Fall): Boston is cooler in the summer, cooler in early fall, warmer in late fall, warmer in the winter. Boston get's more rain, more snow, and more sun than Chicago. Boston is also less humid.
It snows earlier in Chicago.

6. Public Transportation: Both are good. Chicago's is better and faster.

7. Events (like rock concerts, parades, etc.): Both have lots. Chicago's got more, but almost all concerts come to Boston too. Chicago has more music festivals. Chicago's got more parades. Boston has more fireworks.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:47 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,327,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interxavier View Post

2. Culture
4. Types of people
6. Public Transportation
8. Miscellaneous

1. Both have plenty to see and do to keep you occupied for more than a week. Chicago's museums can get very pricey, though.
2. Not sure on this one.
3. Boston is more expensive than Chicago.
4. ?
5. Chicago is often very hot and humid in the summer, and can sometimes be cold in fall. Boston probably has a more moderate climate, overall.
6. Boston is better in this regard.
7. Don't know

Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 AM

607 posts, read 1,059,157 times
1. Toss up. There is plenty to do in both places!
2. Depends. Boston has more history but Chicago has an amazing art museum and plenty of ethnic neighborhoods to explore.
3. Hotels are cheaper in Chicago. Bidding on Priceline, I've recently gotten a nice hotel in a good neighborhood during the early summer for $125/night in Chicago. For something comparable in Boston, I paid $190.
4. People helpful and friendly in both places.
5. Chicago can get hot and humid in July and August. Boston is really nice at those times though. Chicago is really nice in the fall. Not sure about fall in Boston, never been at that time of year.
6. Easy in both areas.
7. For plays, Chicago. For other events, I'm not sure. I do prefer Fenway to Wrigley though.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 7,918 times
Thank you all for being helpful. I'll hopefully visit both cities in due time.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,463,128 times
Another thing about public transit:
Boston's shuts down at midnight or so. But the last trains on Friday and Saturdays are 2 am
Much of Chicago's is 24 hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or