U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you mean in the rest of the world (about 90% of the world) where there is not so much of a tipping culture, customers don't receive good service.

The tipping culture is backward and stupid. To pay a waitor $2 an hour (I don't know where you live, minimum wage is $11 here) and expect the customers to pay the balance for livable wage is just rediculous.

You probably think the emperial system makes so much better sense than the metric system too.
I have not received service anywhere in the world that was good as the service I have received at higher end restaurants in the US.

What's "emperial?"

Federal minimum wage for servers in the US is $2.15 an hour. Or maybe it's $2.35. Either way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
My barber, whose shop is always packed, can afford to do the same thing. He makes sure to accommodate me because I leave a $15 tip for my $15 haircut. I have seen some cheapskates tip a measly $5. They hand the barber a $20 and call it a day. This might have been a decent tip in the 1970s or 80s, but nowadays it's a slap in the face. How is anybody supposed to live on that kind of pittance?
I wouldn't leave $15 for a $15 men's haircut that takes 15 minutes. I'd toss $5 at him--that's 30%. Maybe you weren't around in the 70's and 80's, I was, and haircuts were $4 and the tip was $1.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
So what do you tip the girl at Sonic for carrying you a $1.30 tea?

or

The young lady that bagged your groceries and put them in the trunk of your car for you?
Nothing at Sonic, $1-2 for the carry out service at the grocery store--which is optional, you can always carry out your own bags if you don't care to tip.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Personally, I have never understood why a "large party" of 4, 6, 8, etc... entitle the restaurant to think an automatic tip of 18% is in order.

People had to do all the same things they would have if those people came in separately, that is all except the person handling the pass line who has to coordinate the meals.
I'll tell you why. Often they split the bill up between them, with everyone tossing in what they think they owe--which is usually less than it actually is. No one wants to ante up more cash to cover the tip, so the server gets $3.27 on a $180 tab.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:52 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,490,938 times
If you think tipping in the USA is out of control, don't ever visit the middle east, northern africa or SE Asia.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:58 PM

24,795 posts, read 6,167,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
If you think tipping in the USA is out of control, don't ever visit the middle east, northern africa or SE Asia.
I go to Tunisia in North Africa. I don't see an 'out of control' tipping culture. Only in America do I see it.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:06 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,320,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Same for cab drivers. They charge a certain amount based on distance travelled. and I pay for the full service. I don't know what additional tip is for.
It should also be pointed out that not all cab services require the cabbie to pay for the care, insurance or maintenance on his cab. Having been friends with a group of cabbies at two different companies in my home town, the cabbie paid the town less than $100 for a cab license when he started his employment. They generally worked 5 days a week, the car was provided to him by the cab service and he was only expected to pay for gasoline. In exchange, the cab service provided the cabbies with the fares in round-robin fashion. At the end of their shifts, the cabbies gave the service half the metered take and kept all tips for themselves. On average, they would clear $600 to $800 a week tax-free, as it was up to them to report their income. To my best knowledge, very few provided an accurate picture to Revenue Canada.

I can't speak for how expensive it is in cities like Toronto, but out where I live, cabbies are well compensated for dealing with obnoxious drunks and mouthy teenagers.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:53 PM

8,792 posts, read 5,653,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'll tell you why. Often they split the bill up between them, with everyone tossing in what they think they owe--which is usually less than it actually is. No one wants to ante up more cash to cover the tip, so the server gets $3.27 on a $180 tab.
Yes, I saw that behavior when I used to deliver pizza.

I learned never to collect individual payments from individuals unless the checks are divided.

The bill is not $2.50 + $4.67 + 7.65 + etc... The bill is $50.

When there was one big bill, I ask who is collecting and paying me for the whole bill and insist the person responsible work out who owes them for what.. Until I am paid, no food is released.

If they all leave it on the table and it is short, that is a management problem.

If the bill is covered, but no tip is included, then that's just a hazard of the job.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:35 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,897,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
...brought the cost down to $63 including tax. We left a $35 tip...
I'm sure management thanks you for paying their employees.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,897,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
...Both employers and employees are content with it. Employers are only required to pay their workers $2.13/hr...
So, the employer makes out like a bandit because I have to pay the wages for the waitstaff. If the management held them in such high regard they would offer an acceptable wage and not put that burden on the customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or