U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-03-2014, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,446 posts, read 10,913,870 times
Reputation: 28190

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
...they shouldn't expect decent service the next time around...At pizzerias, for example, it's common practice for deliverymen to put all sorts of stuff (spit, snot, hairs, and other stuff) in the pies of well-known cheapskates. Word does get around and your food will be tampered with if you can only afford to tip a few measly dollars (or nothing at all) each time you order something. Let that be a warning.
LOL - now we get to the real problem - the whole tipping scheme is a protection racket, it has nothing at all to do with providing service to the customers - it's all about how much money they can con out of you. I like the "if you can only afford a few measly dollars" statement - by all means, let's punish those who are on a fixed income or poor. I mean, how dare they think they can eat what I eat - look at them, they are the poor - let them eat cake.

Now we all get to see what's really in the minds of those who would judge us from afar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2014, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,446 posts, read 10,913,870 times
Reputation: 28190
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
...We drank a $125 dollar bottle from our own cellar...
Those of us who can "only afford a few measly dollars" just stare through the window in awe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 17,456,108 times
Reputation: 9920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
My barber, whose shop is always packed, can afford to do the same thing. He makes sure to accommodate me because I leave a $15 tip for my $15 haircut. I have seen some cheapskates tip a measly $5. They hand the barber a $20 and call it a day. This might have been a decent tip in the 1970s or 80s, but nowadays it's a slap in the face. How is anybody supposed to live on that kind of pittance?
The reason your barber is packed is because he charges $15 a haircut which is downright cheap. It's not because he is good. If he was good, he would charge 3 times that amount and still be packed.

Leaving a 100% tip is not outrageous, it is just asinine. Five dollars is a 30% tip which is respectable. And no, you haven't traveled more than me. I'm an interventional cardiologist who is a guest lecturer and faculty member at three hospitals. I don't pay to travel; they pay me to travel. I'm not an uncouth simpleton like you are implying of others.

Someone who provides excellent service receives great rewards. They don't whine like little babies about getting bad tips. The ones who whine about bad tips are the ones who usually provide bad service. They are just naive and oblivious to the fact they provide poor service. You can usually tell from the onset what type of service you will receive. Bad waiters have bad attitudes. They act entitled and are not friendly. Then when they receive a lousy tip, they blame people for being cheap. In reality, they are just bad at what they do and are too stupid to recognize it. That isn't to say good waiters do not get stiffed from time to time. They do but more often than not, they are tipped well.

I speak from experience. I waited tables in my youth to help pay for my education. I have an excellent work ethic. I didn't gossip in the back. I didn't get drunk or flirt with the staff. I was there to work. I had a motor. I anticipated needs before being asked. I received excellent tips. The ones who complained about receiving bad tips were always bad servers. They lacked a work ethic.

I'm an excellent tipper. However, I will not reward average or mediocre service. I can think for myself, and I don't need to follow some arbitrary rule about having to tip 20% or more because waiters and delivery men are not paid well. Unfortunately, there are a lot of morons who egregiously tip out of some disillusioned sense of feeling heroic. Tip the people who deserve it, meaning the ones who actually provide great service.

Regarding your example of the pizza delivery man who spits in food. I can promise you that delivery man is probably one of the same tools who provides bad service and can't understand why he is not advancing in life. He has a bad work ethic and can't understand why he gets bad tips when he is late and isn't friendly when he drops pizza off. The guy who is spitting in people's food probably needs to recognize that there is a reason he is still delivering pizzas.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-03-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 PM
 
170 posts, read 111,087 times
Reputation: 352
Tipping has definitely gotten out of hand. It doesn't matter if the service provider receives a salary. That person also expects to be tipped. And forget about tipping for good service, a person is automatically expected to tip no matter what.

By the way, a Starbucks barista makes $9 an hour. That is completely different than a waiter who only makes $2.15 per hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 01:25 AM
 
Location: U.S.A., Earth
4,498 posts, read 2,885,789 times
Reputation: 4013
Tipping is everywhere. However, I believe we still have a middle road in the US. In China, they're not allowed to accept tips, although that hasn't stopped some from still doing so. In parts of Europe, the tip is built into the price you pay. It's not optional, so if you don't pay it, I believe you actually can be arrested on that, whereas in the US, not tipping is legal, it just goes against the norms, and gets on their "bad list".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
WOW! Is that all you have to add to the conversation? Do you suffer from Grammar Pedantry syndrome?

Since you're so proper, I suggest you read an etiquette book. I'm surprised you don't know that it's rude to correct someone else unless you're a teacher or they ask you to correct them.


Keep this in mind: You forgot to capitalize the first word in several of your sentences. You also didn't correctly punctuate several of your sentences (I.e. When using an eclipse (3 periods), you're supposed to close it with a 4th period). I could go on, but I think I'll stop there.
... so you're thinking of a "tep", not a "tip".

There does the emoticon make that better? If you check out plenty of my posts, I actually do not post any nitpicky grammar thing that's out here on these forums. However, given how people have used the word "tip" as the acronym "to insure promptness" and how the word isn't actually the correct one, I think it actually isn't a grammar issue.

I can be all literal too and say a tip is also there to ensure the order is right and the server was courteous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 04:47 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Reputation: 41816
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The reason your barber is packed is because he charges $15 a haircut which is downright cheap. It's not because he is good. If he was good, he would charge 3 times that amount and still be packed.

Leaving a 100% tip is not outrageous, it is just asinine. Five dollars is a 30% tip which is respectable. And no, you haven't traveled more than me. I'm an interventional cardiologist who is a guest lecturer and faculty member at three hospitals. I don't pay to travel; they pay me to travel. I'm not an uncouth simpleton like you are implying of others.

Someone who provides excellent service receives great rewards. They don't whine like little babies about getting bad tips. The ones who whine about bad tips are the ones who usually provide bad service. They are just naive and oblivious to the fact they provide poor service. You can usually tell from the onset what type of service you will receive. Bad waiters have bad attitudes. They act entitled and are not friendly. Then when they receive a lousy tip, they blame people for being cheap. In reality, they are just bad at what they do and are too stupid to recognize it. That isn't to say good waiters do not get stiffed from time to time. They do but more often than not, they are tipped well.

I speak from experience. I waited tables in my youth to help pay for my education. I have an excellent work ethic. I didn't gossip in the back. I didn't get drunk or flirt with the staff. I was there to work. I had a motor. I anticipated needs before being asked. I received excellent tips. The ones who complained about receiving bad tips were always bad servers. They lacked a work ethic.

I'm an excellent tipper. However, I will not reward average or mediocre service. I can think for myself, and I don't need to follow some arbitrary rule about having to tip 20% or more because waiters and delivery men are not paid well. Unfortunately, there are a lot of morons who egregiously tip out of some disillusioned sense of feeling heroic. Tip the people who deserve it, meaning the ones who actually provide great service.

Regarding your example of the pizza delivery man who spits in food. I can promise you that delivery man is probably one of the same tools who provides bad service and can't understand why he is not advancing in life. He has a bad work ethic and can't understand why he gets bad tips when he is late and isn't friendly when he drops pizza off. The guy who is spitting in people's food probably needs to recognize that there is a reason he is still delivering pizzas.
I agree and disagree at the same time: of course a 100% tip is way over the top, why would anyone leave that much. Where I disagree is: the barber isn't any good. There are some, especially in small towns that prefer to keep prices down and work with people in the community. Where we live, barbers and hair dressers as well, can work closer to the center of NWA and make twice as much as some do, or they fan stay in the smaller towns and enjoy the same clientele they have had for years. Making big bucks isn't always why they work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 06:13 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,611,198 times
Reputation: 3225
Yep, it's definitely gotten out of hand. On the other hand, I've also read that the expansion of tipping is one reason why a lot of youngins' aren't into raising the minimum wage and O-care. It's basically tax-free money if it's cashola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:16 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'm sure management thanks you for paying their employees.
Let's see. If management hadn't provided the coupon and waived the corkage, the check would have been $150 plus tip. Instead we paid ~$100. Everyone was happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Rome
393 posts, read 337,408 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
In parts of Europe, the tip is built into the price you pay. It's not optional, so if you don't pay it, I believe you actually can be arrested on that
What a ludicrous statement!
Tipping is by definition a voluntary act.
Therefore it is obviously not included in the bill.
In some restaurants in Europe you do pay for the "service", but it goes without saying it cannot be equated to tipping and it is integral part of the bill; as such it must be paid exactly as a steak or a bottle of wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:25 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - now we get to the real problem - the whole tipping scheme is a protection racket, it has nothing at all to do with providing service to the customers - it's all about how much money they can con out of you. I like the "if you can only afford a few measly dollars" statement - by all means, let's punish those who are on a fixed income or poor. I mean, how dare they think they can eat what I eat - look at them, they are the poor - let them eat cake.

Now we all get to see what's really in the minds of those who would judge us from afar.
If someone can't afford to go out and eat AND leave a tip--there is always fast food. Just because someone is poor, it doesn't give them the right to stiff a server.

Let's say you eat at Macaroni Grill, and the tab is $100 for a party of four. The average tip would be around $18. The IRS will automatically assume the server made an $8 tip, and tax them accordingly--let's say for arguments sake 30% after FICA, income tax, etc. So they owe the government $2.40 on that tab. They also have to tip out the hostess 1% of the check, so they owe the hostess $1. They also owe the bartender 1.5% of the gross check, so $1.50 goes there.

Let's say the server has given great service, but the party wants to pull the "I don't believe in tipping" or "I am too broke to tip" card. The server still has to pay out, even though the cheap-o's didn't tip. In effect, the party has actually cost the server money. I'm sure if their boss told them they weren't getting paid because he went out to eat and didn't have enough cash left for payroll, or he just doesn't believe in paying someone for the hours they work that the tune would be very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top