U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:26 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Those of us who can "only afford a few measly dollars" just stare through the window in awe.
That's what curtains are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:27 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Unfortunately, there are a lot of morons who egregiously tip out of some disillusioned sense of feeling heroic. Tip the people who deserve it, meaning the ones who actually provide great service.

The guy who is spitting in people's food probably needs to recognize that there is a reason he is still delivering pizzas.

I just shocked that many seem to support waitors for punishing customers who they think are cheapskates, as if they have the right to do so.

The food is not made by them, not paid by them, and they are paid to deliver it. Who in God's name gives them the right to tamper with the food. If you don't like the job, quit. But somehow I suppose they aren't skilled enough to do any sort of job in the world. Those who spit in customers' food will always trapped in a minimum wage job, because that's exactly what he deserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:36 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
The USA is world-renowned for its excellent customer service at full-service restaurants. Our tipping culture is the reason for this. If you actually traveled to countries where gratuities are included in the bill, you would know this. But something tells me you aren't nearly as well-traveled or worldly as I... and therefore you are unqualified to make such cross-cultural comparisons.
well renowned how? I don't know how you just came up with the conclusion.

I just traveled to a few cities in Japan, where there is no tip (actually tipping is considered rude and condescending there). I find the service to be excellent. In Korea, if you give some changes to the waitor, she will thank you endlessly. I actually just prefer the waitor bring the food and leave, and never bother me again. I don't want them to come and check on me just to show their care in fact it is for nothing but more tips. If I want something, I will ask.

Only in America (and Canada) servers have this greedy apetite for tips as if they have the right to be respectful or not depending on how the expected tips are. It is a corrupted culture. Waiting on tables is their job. There is no need to put on fake smiles and ask "how is you day". Do they care how my day is, what if I had a bad day, how will they help with that? All they need to do is to take the order and bring the food when it is done. A 12 year old can do that.

Full service restaurants - I guess all non-fast restaurants are in that category. What kind of full service do you typically need except taking orders and bringing food? Do you want them to dance and sing for you?

Let's be realistic. Waiting on table is a low skilled job. They do it because that's the best they can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:43 AM
 
486 posts, read 490,742 times
Reputation: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Nothing at Sonic, $1-2 for the carry out service at the grocery store--which is optional, you can always carry out your own bags if you don't care to tip.
The girls at Sonic are not making minimal wage, they count on the tips. I feel obligated to tip them something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The reason your barber is packed is because he charges $15 a haircut which is downright cheap. It's not because he is good. If he was good, he would charge 3 times that amount and still be packed.
I disagree. That's a typical men's haircut cost by a barber. We're not talking a fancy salon, but a barber shop. Big difference.

Quote:
I'm an excellent tipper. However, I will not reward average or mediocre service. I can think for myself, and I don't need to follow some arbitrary rule about having to tip 20% or more because waiters and delivery men are not paid well. Unfortunately, there are a lot of morons who egregiously tip out of some disillusioned sense of feeling heroic. Tip the people who deserve it, meaning the ones who actually provide great service.
Long ago we decided to no longer eat at those typical chain places that have sprung up around the US, Canada, and the UK. The service was iffy, the food was mediocre at best, and the good servers didn't stick around, they were quickly hired by the better restaurants that actually cook food from scratch and offer an inspired menu instead of heating frozen food in a microwave or by dumping it into a deep fryer.

We would rather eat out less often, but instead dine at wonderful places which are locally owned, employ top notch staff, and actually care about the food they serve. (A side note, my appetizer was rather delayed at dinner the other night. The manager stopped by to apologize, and let us know that the chef wasn't happy with the way it had come out the first time, so he was remaking it rather than having me be disappointed with poor quality.)

We often tip in excess of 20%. We look at it this way. A meal typically takes 2.5 hours. The server and bus boy are on their toes. The order is correct, the water glasses are kept full, the wine service is proper--pulling and presenting the cork, pouring a splash for a quality check, decanting the bottle, and keeping the glasses filled to the proper height (which doesn't mean "full" )--the food is brought out hot and the order is correct. Appropriate condiments are offered. Crumbs are cleared along with plates as appropriate.

This isn't slinging plates of food, there is much more training and a much higher level of service required. This is a professional in their field. If there was no tipping and these employees were paid an hourly wage, they would make $30 an hour for the level of service they offer. They usually have no more an 2-3 tables to offer that level of service. So a tip of $25 on a $100 check for a meal that lasted over two hours is not an unreasonable tip.

I have rarely found a server in a typical pub grub/family style/moderate type restaurant that was worth that type of tip. However rarely doesn't mean never, and when I've had a really fantastic server in that type of place, I have tipped accordingly--yes, I'm the person who has left a 50% tip on a $30 check--because the service was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:52 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree and disagree at the same time: of course a 100% tip is way over the top, why would anyone leave that much. Where I disagree is: the barber isn't any good. There are some, especially in small towns that prefer to keep prices down and work with people in the community. Where we live, barbers and hair dressers as well, can work closer to the center of NWA and make twice as much as some do, or they fan stay in the smaller towns and enjoy the same clientele they have had for years. Making big bucks isn't always why they work.
We have left what amounted to a 100% tip a couple of times. Recently we had a meal at a local restaurant. The server was great, but it wasn't high end service or a high end restaurant. The check was $50. We left her $10 on the credit card, and handed her another $40 in cash with a note to use it for her travel fund.

She had told us that she was working there as a second job trying to save enough to visit Italy--a place she had wanted to go as long as she could remember. Italy is a special place to us, one of our favorites in the world, and we "paid it forward" to help her get there. Not so much a tip as a gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yep, it's definitely gotten out of hand. On the other hand, I've also read that the expansion of tipping is one reason why a lot of youngins' aren't into raising the minimum wage and O-care. It's basically tax-free money if it's cashola.
Not if it's put through on a credit card, which is how most people pay these days.

Most young adults I know want the minimum wage increased and are on O-Care, because their employer doesn't offer health insurance or purposely keeps their hours under the threshold to avoid having to offer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I just shocked that many seem to support waitors for punishing customers who they think are cheapskates, as if they have the right to do so.

The food is not made by them, not paid by them, and they are paid to deliver it. Who in God's name gives them the right to tamper with the food. If you don't like the job, quit. But somehow I suppose they aren't skilled enough to do any sort of job in the world. Those who spit in customers' food will always trapped in a minimum wage job, because that's exactly what he deserves.
Actually in some restaurants, the servers are responsible for making some of the food as well.

When I worked in a restaurant years ago, the servers were responsible for making the toast/muffins/bagels, we made the served salads and cold sides. We put together the bread baskets. We sliced out all the desserts and made all the sundaes. We were responsible for keeping the salad bar filled and cleaned, same with all condiments.

I never spit in anyone's food, but I was quite tempted a few times. The low tippers were quickly identified, and believe me, I made sure my high tipping regulars got the best service, even if it meant the stiffs suffered for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well renowned how? I don't know how you just came up with the conclusion.

I just traveled to a few cities in Japan, where there is no tip (actually tipping is considered rude and condescending there). I find the service to be excellent. In Korea, if you give some changes to the waitor, she will thank you endlessly. I actually just prefer the waitor bring the food and leave, and never bother me again. I don't want them to come and check on me just to show their care in fact it is for nothing but more tips. If I want something, I will ask.

Only in America (and Canada) servers have this greedy apetite for tips as if they have the right to be respectful or not depending on how the expected tips are. It is a corrupted culture. Waiting on tables is their job. There is no need to put on fake smiles and ask "how is you day". Do they care how my day is, what if I had a bad day, how will they help with that? All they need to do is to take the order and bring the food when it is done. A 12 year old can do that.

Full service restaurants - I guess all non-fast restaurants are in that category. What kind of full service do you typically need except taking orders and bringing food? Do you want them to dance and sing for you?

Let's be realistic. Waiting on table is a low skilled job. They do it because that's the best they can get.
Obviously you've never dined at a high end establishment. They do a lot more than take an order and toss the food at you.

I want the server to check back and make sure the food is OK. I want my water glass refilled, wine topped off, and if I excuse myself to the restroom, it's nice to come back to my napkin folded.

I also want the server to know the menu inside and out, understand what "rare +" means, have a knowledge of wine (including how to present and serve it), and know the difference between a white and a black truffle, and why one might be better than another in a given dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
The girls at Sonic are not making minimal wage, they count on the tips. I feel obligated to tip them something.
I don't eat at Sonic or fast food places in general except Chipotle--how is Sonic different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top