U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 01:08 AM

384 posts, read 877,168 times

Advertisements

Tipping massage therapists? The same group that wants to be viewed as a health care service? Do you tip nurses? Nurse aides? Practioners? Doctors? Dental Hygentists?

I have done massage therapy full time and part time - it's a good wage even when working for someone else. I don't believe in accepting tips. Now the person that cleans my hotel bathroom ... that I will tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:04 AM

19,775 posts, read 19,875,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
By the way, try shopping at Wegman's or Publix. You'll always have someone help you, and it's not usually hard to find someone to do so. Most of the time they will gladly walk you to the proper aisle and help you find the item. Their prices are higher than WalMart, but hey, you get what you pay for.
And did you tip those employees that walk you to the aisle? Why not?

Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 AM

8,955 posts, read 6,492,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I resent having to tip waiters. Pay your own employees salary. Why expect your customers to do it ? Change the system.
The higher prices you would have to pay for food at a restaurant will be added to your check anyway.

In the end there will be very little difference. You'll be paying about the same as if you left a tip.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:02 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,121,718 times
You would also need to pay Sales Tax on the Waiters ("Tip") Service Fee or Higher cost of meal.

Now, Tip is not Sales Taxed by the state.

Would be a Win-fall for the state....

Old 07-05-2014, 08:08 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
why would you need a waitress offering wine suggestions, when you already know it all??

do you quiz them?
They know their wine list well, and can make suggestions on wines I might not be familiar with.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I resent having to tip waiters. Pay your own employees salary. Why expect your customers to do it ? Change the system.
Then you will be paying even more for the food.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Tipping massage therapists? The same group that wants to be viewed as a health care service? Do you tip nurses? Nurse aides? Practioners? Doctors? Dental Hygentists?

I have done massage therapy full time and part time - it's a good wage even when working for someone else. I don't believe in accepting tips. Now the person that cleans my hotel bathroom ... that I will tip.
The massage therapists who work at spas are also LMT's but don't work in a medical setting and aren't paid nearly as much as those that do work in a medical setting. Like with any other spa service, it's expected that a gratuity will be offered.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And did you tip those employees that walk you to the aisle? Why not?
Nope--because Publix and Wegman's have a no tipping policy.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:35 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,254,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
The higher prices you would have to pay for food at a restaurant will be added to your check anyway.

In the end there will be very little difference. You'll be paying about the same as if you left a tip.
Have you been to non-tipping countries? You can still get tons of very cheap food at better quality than a lot of restaurants here. I find tipping to be absolutely absurd, personally. I also hate American-style service where they pester you non-stop. Let me be in peace!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 AM

24,770 posts, read 6,161,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Have you been to non-tipping countries? You can still get tons of very cheap food at better quality than a lot of restaurants here. I find tipping to be absolutely absurd, personally. I also hate American-style service where they pester you non-stop. Let me be in peace!
I live in a non tipping country. Believe me, we get decent service. I don't need a server bothering me every two minutes with "everything ok here." As soon as I open my mouth, when I visit America, and they hear my English accent, the server's mouth purses! I feel like saying, "don't worry, I know the score, you'll get your tip."

I love these threads, I have been reading this latest one with great interest. All the usual suspects are here...... the one's who boast how generous they are with tips, and the one's who resent it. You can tell how much this subject arouses people to anger.

Lots of folks in America are on minimum wage, and feel servers expect too much. The talking heads say, "oh, if you stiff a server, they are losing out. Taxes to pay on tips, other's to share them with etc etc. It's easy to solve........ if there are no tips, then there is nothing to share with the IRS and other team members.

But of course, servers don't want to be paid a proper hourly rate by the business owner. They can make a lot of money from tips. For all the complaining about being stiffed, they want things to remain the way they are.

Others say, "well if there weren't a tipping culture, the price of the meal would go up." That's probably true, but I bet each meal wouldn't go up to what people are paying now, plus the tip.

I'll say it one more time, quietly, so as not to frighten the horses......... it is not the job of the patron of a restaurant to pay the staff, that is the job of the business owner.

They mustn't be able to believe their luck that the customers pay the wages for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or