U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
which essentially means tipping is optional.
Plus I think it is more important to learn not to **** on your hand than to washing hands after.
Which was why I said, "Tipping… is OPTIONAL."
Yeah, we've already heard that one before… But the marine (or whatever version of the joke you're telling) fails to realize that you can learn to not pee on your hands AND wash them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 05:01 PM

5,938 posts, read 5,293,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
As I said in a previous post, American's should be careful about tipping too much in a developing country. I am not sure if $600 is too much in your case because you had tour guides, etc. But, generally, Americans tip too much. In the contrary of most people thinking they are doing a good thing, providing for the economy and those that don't make too much money, they are actually hurting these countries by misdirecting the economy. When you have a porter making more money then a doctor or teacher, what do the children then want to do when they grow up? Become a doctor or teacher contributing to the country? Or a porter making a good living on tips.

Already happened. I saw an interview with a skycap at Reagan Airport years ago. He said they all made over $100,000 a year and that was quite awhile ago.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
which essentially means tipping is optional.
Plus I think it is more important to learn not to **** on your hand than to washing hands after.
How gross. Seriously disgusting if you think it's OK to not wash your hands after using the rest room. That tells us a lot about you, unfortunately.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:41 PM

14,684 posts, read 8,468,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
How gross. Seriously disgusting if you think it's OK to not wash your hands after using the rest room. That tells us a lot about you, unfortunately.
Off the subject, but hardly anyone washes their hands after using the rest room. They just do it when other people are watching because they don't want other people to think they're disgusting. When no one else is watching, they don't do it. Fellow C-D posters, raise your paw if you don't wash your hands in the restroom. (NOTE: This poll is totally anonymous). I sure as heck don't wash my hands in icky restrooms I hover, open the bathroom door with my shirt sleeve, and beat a hasty retreat.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Off the subject, but hardly anyone washes their hands after using the rest room. They just do it when other people are watching because they don't want other people to think they're disgusting. When no one else is watching, they don't do it. Fellow C-D posters, raise your paw if you don't wash your hands in the restroom. (NOTE: This poll is totally anonymous). I sure as heck don't wash my hands in icky restrooms I hover, open the bathroom door with my shirt sleeve, and beat a hasty retreat.
I often don't, as long as there is no pee on my hand, why would there be?

I fail to understand the need to wash hands. What guys have touched during urinating is not nearly as dirty as so much stuff they tough every minute: the desk, computer keyboards, door knobs etc. Does that mean we have to wash hands every time we touched anything? I mean, we wash that thing during show every day, and it is never exposed to the outside world and has little chance to be contaminated, seriously, how dirty can it be?

This if you don't wash your hands after bathroom you are disgusting kind of theory is really groundless.

Maybe for ladies it is different. I have no way to find out.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for contributing to Norovirus.

I wash my hands EVERY TIME I use the restroom, whether it's pee or poo. If I even go into the stall--such as to change my clothes, I wash my hands when I come out. I then use the paper towel to open the door.

It seems a lot of people were raised by wolves.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Already happened. I saw an interview with a skycap at Reagan Airport years ago. He said they all made over $100,000 a year and that was quite awhile ago.
I highly doubt that. My son's friend works at MCO as a Skycap, he clears an average of $35K a year (tips and minimum wage pay) with no benefits.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Quote:
I think would have to disagree with you. Most people do wash their hands, some not as well as others and some, even when other are around do not or only run their hands under cold water for a second or two. More and more people all the time are paying attention to hand wipes, opening doors with towels, etc. Now, let me add, what the heck does any of this have to do with tipping?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:36 PM

12,257 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I was really talking about developed countries because giving someone the change in your pocket can be equal to a week's wages for them. But I guess that's possible - some hard working restaurant servers in high-end restaurants make a very good salary with wages and tips.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:03 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,427,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hello: you said in your earlier post the bar servers and spa people were part of the auto tipping pool and now you admit this is a separate tip. yes, it is automatic, but it isn't part of the tipping pool?

As for your tipping $450 per person, I would have to wonder why you are not cruising a luxury liner if you can afford that much. And if you are tipping almost a half grand you sill are over looking those behind the scenes that work very hard to make your vacation a truly memorable experience.

And btw I certainly hope you don't get caught bring your own drinks on board...It is against RCI policy unless you are talking soda only.
That struck me as odd, who brings their own drinks with them? Especially if you can afford to tip generously...I would think buying drinks at the bar would not be a hardship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or