U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:33 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
That struck me as odd, who brings their own drinks with them? Especially if you can afford to tip generously...I would think buying drinks at the bar would not be a hardship.
We bring our own wine. We have an extensive collection and want to drink what we enjoy--which is typically not available on the average cruise. We are happy to pay a corkage fee for the opportunity. It has nothing to do with finances and everything to do with drinking what we enjoy. Just like some people bring their own Diet Dr. Pepper, because they can't get it on board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 AM

4,487 posts, read 2,876,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
WOW! Is that all you have to add to the conversation? Do you suffer from Grammar Pedantry syndrome?

Since you're so proper, I suggest you read an etiquette book. I'm surprised you don't know that it's rude to correct someone else unless you're a teacher or they ask you to correct them.

Keep this in mind: You forgot to capitalize the first word in several of your sentences. You also didn't correctly punctuate several of your sentences (I.e. When using an eclipse (3 periods), you're supposed to close it with a 4th period). I could go on, but I think I'll stop there.
Not to dredge up old discussions, but I did forget to mention and wanted to bring up...

You do realize that those definitions were copied and pasted from internet pages right? When you read dictionary entries, they're not always going to be capitalized like that. There wasn't any point in changing what was already presented.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I fail to understand the need to wash hands. What guys have touched during urinating is not nearly as dirty as so much stuff they tough every minute: the desk, computer keyboards, door knobs etc. Does that mean we have to wash hands every time we touched anything?
No. Only when you pass right by a sink, like for example, after you use the toilet. You're not just washing off toilet germs, your washing everything that accumulated between then and the last time you were in a bathroom.

I agree that this is totally OT, but it's a worthy topic for more discussion. Is it worth asking a mod to try to migrate it all to a new thread? And if so, where should that thread even live, since it's not specific to travel?

Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,499,348 times
To the OP:

Customer service is dead, at least in the U.S. Now it's all about the money.

When I go into a store or restaurant and get excellent service, I'm shocked. I'm so used to this kind of exchange:

Me: do you have such-and-such widget?
Lazy store clerk: did you see it on the shelf? (too unmotivated to even look)
Me: what? Uh, no. (If I did, I wouldn't be asking you, you moron.)

Or, in a restaurant...

Me: I'll take the Oysters (wionna type)
My 9-year-old: I want the ravioli. (Children's meal)
Server: (a really long time later) who had the ravioli? (There's exactly one child at the table)
(We stare blankly. Isn't it their job to remember who ordered what?)
Server: (to me, after figuring out that the child gets the child's meal) You the wionna?
(I stare blankly, wondering what the hell he's talking about.)

That is NOT customer service. It's ridiculous, mediocre excuses for service that in an earlier era might have gotten the person fired. Service used to be a profession. Now it's just a placeholder job that doesn't pay enough so everyone's hand is always out for a bribe to make them do the minimal amount of work.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Customer service is dead… Isn't it their job to remember who ordered what?… It's ridiculous, mediocre excuses for service that in an earlier era might have gotten the person fired. Service used to be a profession. Now it's just a placeholder job that doesn't pay enough so everyone's hand is always out for a bribe to make them do the minimal amount of work.
Is that psycho music I hear slowly rising to a crescendo?

Old 07-18-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Is that psycho music I hear slowly rising to a crescendo?
You can just tip me for my witty posting.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:14 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,172,582 times
Quote:
To the OP:

Customer service is dead, at least in the U.S. Now it's all about the money.

When I go into a store or restaurant and get excellent service, I'm shocked. I'm so used to this kind of exchange:

Me: do you have such-and-such widget?
Lazy store clerk: did you see it on the shelf? (too unmotivated to even look)
Me: what? Uh, no. (If I did, I wouldn't be asking you, you moron.)

Or, in a restaurant...

Me: I'll take the Oysters (wionna type)
My 9-year-old: I want the ravioli. (Children's meal)
Server: (a really long time later) who had the ravioli? (There's exactly one child at the table)
(We stare blankly. Isn't it their job to remember who ordered what?)
Server: (to me, after figuring out that the child gets the child's meal) You the wionna?
(I stare blankly, wondering what the hell he's talking about.)

That is NOT customer service. It's ridiculous, mediocre excuses for service that in an earlier era might have gotten the person fired. Service used to be a profession. Now it's just a placeholder job that doesn't pay enough so everyone's hand is always out for a bribe to make them do the minimal amount of work.
Oh I know ! I agree, there isn't the basic customer service anymore. I'm from the world too of good customer service. It's shocking today, yes back then this behavior you're describing the person would be fired.

I'm hoping we can get back to a time of basic manners, please & thank you

Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Oh I know ! I agree, there isn't the basic customer service anymore. I'm from the world too of good customer service. It's shocking today, yes back then this behavior you're describing the person would be fired.

You both need to patronize different places, because the restaurants I typically eat at offer the complete opposite for service. Polished, exceedingly polite, and intuitive but never hovering.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post

Younger people like annerk don't understand what we're talking about. I guess we're just dinosaurs from an earlier era. Rude is the new normal, and good service is an exception that you have to seek out.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Younger people like annerk don't understand what we're talking about. I guess we're just dinosaurs from an earlier era. Rude is the new normal, and good service is an exception that you have to seek out.
Younger? HA! I'm a Baby Boomer. As I said, maybe venture past the TGIFs and Olive Gardens and you'll find good service. It still exists, but if you are expecting it when paying $6.99 for all the salad and breadsticks you can chovel into your face, you'll be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or