U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:22 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,500,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Younger? HA! I'm a Baby Boomer. As I said, maybe venture past the TGIFs and Olive Gardens and you'll find good service. It still exists, but if you are expecting it when paying $6.99 for all the salad and breadsticks you can chovel into your face, you'll be disappointed.
Well, the example I gave was from a high end seafood establishment, $25-$40/plate type of place. In years past, the service was much better. I recall about 10 years ago complaining that my salmon was over cooked. They apologized, replaced it right away AND took it off the check. I was blown away.

As for your made-up examples, well no, I would think that any self-respecting restaurant should provide good service whether for a moderate priced working class meal or for a $200 a plate high end dining experience. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, not just the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
It's a sad existence for annerk that the only time good service or good manners is experienced is when large amounts of money are shelled out.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Well, the example I gave was from a high end seafood establishment, $25-$40/plate type of place. In years past, the service was much better. I recall about 10 years ago complaining that my salmon was over cooked. They apologized, replaced it right away AND took it off the check. I was blown away.

As for your made-up examples, well no, I would think that any self-respecting restaurant should provide good service whether for a moderate priced working class meal or for a $200 a plate high end dining experience. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, not just the rich.
If I got Cracker Barrel service in a high end restaurant, I'd be speaking to the manager. Did you bother? If not, you are only perpetuating the problem.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's a sad existence for annerk that the only time good service or good manners is experienced is when large amounts of money are shelled out.
"Large amounts of money" is a subjective statement. It's ridiculous to expect the same level of service at Cracker Barrel or Olive Garden as you would get at The French Laundry or Daniel.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:39 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,766,479 times
I get tipped about 25% of the time where I work at a low end restaurant.. normally it is about 10%

I love when we get US customers.. they always think that we don't get paid well and so tip 15%..

Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM

431 posts, read 397,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
The higher prices you would have to pay for food at a restaurant will be added to your check anyway.

In the end there will be very little difference. You'll be paying about the same as if you left a tip.
yes and no recourse for bad service .keep the system as it is keep them hungry

Old 07-30-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I get tipped about 25% of the time where I work at a low end restaurant.. normally it is about 10%

I love when we get US customers.. they always think that we don't get paid well and so tip 15%..
Not the smart ones who take the time to learn about tipping and pay scales in different countries before they visit. You'd get the change left from the nearest pound rounded up from me, maybe an extra pound if the service was over and above--seldom happens in places with added service or a no tipping mentality like most of Europe.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:27 AM

24,786 posts, read 6,165,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not the smart ones who take the time to learn about tipping and pay scales in different countries before they visit. You'd get the change left from the nearest pound rounded up from me, maybe an extra pound if the service was over and above--seldom happens in places with added service or a no tipping mentality like most of Europe.
That's good advice to Americans visiting England! For gawds sake don't start tipping folks here. They'll start expecting us to do it as well. We don't want no tipping culture taking root here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or