U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Anyone that complains about tipping has an issue with money.


It also has to do with lack of empathy. They fail to realize folks in those jobs depend on tips to survive because the pay is incredibly low.
I disagree to an extent. For example the tip jar on the counter of the eyewear place described above is ridiculous. Someone adjusting eyewear is a paraprofessional and compensated as such. I wouldn't tip the nursing assistant who takes my vitals at the doctors office, which is the same idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:32 AM
 
4,750 posts, read 3,498,077 times
Reputation: 4944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Anyone that complains about tipping has an issue with money.


It also has to do with lack of empathy. They fail to realize folks in those jobs depend on tips to survive because the pay is incredibly low.
So, I was overreacting when I told the cruise line (Royal Caribbean) to remove me from the Automatic Gratuity Program? Because I wasn't going to pay those charges AND tip the staff. The 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, mini bar items, and spa/salon services. There is also no guarantee that the people who I thought deserved the tip received one.


The one time I went to Golden Corral, I was expected to tip a guy who said, "If you need anything else, let me know. My name is Joe." He didn't bring me a damn thing (It's a buffet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,688 posts, read 2,058,594 times
Reputation: 2132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Anyone that complains about tipping has an issue with money.


It also has to do with lack of empathy. They fail to realize folks in those jobs depend on tips to survive because the pay is incredibly low.
I tip in situations like in the service industry where it is called for; like restaurant servers, bell hops, room service, etc.

In New York where tipping is really out of control, everybody seems to have their hand out, from those tip jars on walk up counters to tree trimmers (who receive good wages) and delivery men (who also receive good wages plus I pay extra for delivery), just to name a few. I these cases, I refuse to tip unless they perform an extra specific task that I request that's apart of what is expected of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:41 AM
 
16,720 posts, read 14,702,776 times
Reputation: 41127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Do you think tipping everyone is a liitle overboard. I don't consider myself a cheap person, have always given the waitstaff a good tip and sometimes a great tip.
It just seems from the taxi driver (not opening doors or handling suitcases) hairdresser, the valet, the man at the hotel that hails the cab and opens the door, the lady in the ladies room that hands me a towel, the bellhop, room service ! Room service is the worst - We ordered a really nice dinner and when they arrived they didn't have a table ! And added the standard 18% tip ! I called and spoke w/the mgr and had a nice complimentary breakfast. The point being, it never use to be like this, so many different areas to tip. How do you feel about this ? And what areas are not standard i.e. waitstaff, bellhop - also, if it's not a standard area for tipping, Im never sure how much?
How old are you? Tipping all of these aforementioned servers has been in place for decades. If you can't afford to tip, don't use their services. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Woodinville
3,185 posts, read 4,048,862 times
Reputation: 6267
I'd give you an informative answer but it doesn't sound like you're interested in tipping me for my opinion, so I'll move on to another thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:42 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
So, I was overreacting when I told the cruise line (Royal Caribbean) to remove me from the Automatic Gratuity Program? Because I wasn't going to pay those charges AND tip the staff. The 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, mini bar items, and spa/salon services. There is also no guarantee that the people who I thought deserved the tip received one.


The one time I went to Golden Corral, I was expected to tip a guy who said, "If you need anything else, let me know. My name is Joe." He didn't bring me a damn thing (It's a buffet).
The bar servers and spa personnel on a cruise ship are not part of the tipping pool that the auto-gratuities would have gone to. In effect, your dining rooms servers and cabin steward worked their butts off for you for free all week because you were too cheap to tip them. Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:46 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
I tip in situations like in the service industry where it is called for; like restaurant servers, bell hops, room service, etc.

In New York where tipping is really out of control, everybody seems to have their hand out, from those tip jars on walk up counters to tree trimmers (who receive good wages) and delivery men (who also receive good wages plus I pay extra for delivery), just to name a few. I these cases, I refuse to tip unless they perform an extra specific task that I request that's apart of what is expected of them.
I tip delivery men if they do something extra, but if they drop something at my door step, no tip. When we were moving into this home two delivery men moved a large piece of furniture for us--not the furniture they were delivering. They earned $20 each for it.

I give my mail lady a gift card for Christmas every year. Same lady for 10 years now, and never a package left where it would get wet and always a smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,688 posts, read 2,058,594 times
Reputation: 2132
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I tip delivery men if they do something extra, but if they drop something at my door step, no tip. When we were moving into this home two delivery men moved a large piece of furniture for us--not the furniture they were delivering. They earned $20 each for it.
I agree ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM
 
12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Reputation: 19160
Why is this in the travel forum (and it never amazes me how these topics get to 3 pages in a few hours)?

But since it is, and this is a TRAVEL FORUM - tipping is cultural and regional. Tipping is not really applicable to Europe and many Asian countries. They don't really tip, including at resteraunts. Instead they round up a bill, for instance.

On the other hand, you tip for everything in some middle eastern countries, where it essentially becomes a bribe ("bakseesh"). Sometimes it becomes a problem - western tourists may tip too much and then you have bellboys that make more money then teachers and doctors. Obviously, that has a negative effect on these developing countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 12:26 PM
 
1,153 posts, read 1,058,187 times
Reputation: 1894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Do you think tipping everyone is a liitle overboard. I don't consider myself a cheap person, have always given the waitstaff a good tip and sometimes a great tip.
It just seems from the taxi driver (not opening doors or handling suitcases) hairdresser, the valet, the man at the hotel that hails the cab and opens the door, the lady in the ladies room that hands me a towel, the bellhop, room service ! Room service is the worst - We ordered a really nice dinner and when they arrived they didn't have a table ! And added the standard 18% tip ! I called and spoke w/the mgr and had a nice complimentary breakfast. The point being, it never use to be like this, so many different areas to tip. How do you feel about this ? And what areas are not standard i.e. waitstaff, bellhop - also, if it's not a standard area for tipping, Im never sure how much?
What's your address? I'd like to send you a tip for this post. Seriously though, I agree with your assessment. Tipping has indeed gone overboard. It seems like everyone and their mother has their hands out these days. Tip jars for making me a sub sandwich or scooping me ice cream? Really? I understand tipping is a necessary evil because waitstaff and others are dependent upon them, but I think it'd be great just to get good service just because your patronage is appreciated, realizing that you could have taken your dollars elsewhere.

Customers shouldn't feel compelled to tip and employees shouldn't expect one either, but they do simply because it's engrained in our culture for many. It definitely is for me. I'm always giving people finskies, even for subpar service, just because I want to be considered a generous tipper. Of course, I tend to avoid situations that require tipping, so I only leave those fat tips on occasion to waitstaff and my hairstylist. I think tip jars are tacky, so I don't put money in there.

I also agree that it's hard to know who to tip. There's a gray area involved, especially in restaurants where you order at the counter and they bring out your food (but you're responsible for refilling your own beverages). Or a restaurant where they constantly refill your beverage, but you get your own food. There's also carryout orders and buffets where they pick up your plates. I believe a tip is expected in all these scenarios, but there's no set etiquette for any of these--just personal rules. Should I be tipping my proctologist as well? Where do we draw the line? There's no way of knowing for sure who is and who isn't dependent on tips.

Last edited by maniac77; 07-01-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top