U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:00 PM

4,363 posts, read 3,237,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I went to a self-serve frozen yogurt shop and there was a tip jar at the register. I mean, really? I should tip someone for taking my money?????
I went to one with a tip jar, too. As if that's not obnoxious enough, at the one I went to, the salesgirl thought she was entitled to take a tip herself.

I bought for $9.20, handed her a $10 bill, and she just put the money in the register and closed it. She didn't want to give me my change! When I asked for it, she said, "Oh, I thought that was the tip."

I couldn't believe the nerve of her! I informed the manager right away. He was appalled and let me have the yogurt for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:20 PM

393 posts, read 251,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If the meat isn't cooked properly, if the soup is too salty, if the cake is dry, that's not the servers fault.
The one that *CAN BE* the server's fault is meat cooked improperly by if they PUT IN THE ORDER WRONG OR BRING IT OUT OBVIOUSLY LOOKING WRONG(such as bacon not crispy on the side of the plate, but you ordered it extra crispy).

Old 07-01-2014, 07:14 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
The one that *CAN BE* the server's fault is meat cooked improperly by if they PUT IN THE ORDER WRONG OR BRING IT OUT OBVIOUSLY LOOKING WRONG(such as bacon not crispy on the side of the plate, but you ordered it extra crispy).
I'm talking more about a steak that is ordered medium rare and comes out rare. That's not something a server can tell by looking. I had a steak ordered MR come out well done recently, any server in the world would have been able to tell that the shriveled up and well charred hunk of meat was cooked well beyond MR.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 PM

32,063 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Do you think tipping everyone is a liitle overboard. I don't consider myself a cheap person, have always given the waitstaff a good tip and sometimes a great tip.
It just seems from the taxi driver (not opening doors or handling suitcases) hairdresser, the valet, the man at the hotel that hails the cab and opens the door, the lady in the ladies room that hands me a towel, the bellhop, room service ! Room service is the worst - We ordered a really nice dinner and when they arrived they didn't have a table ! And added the standard 18% tip ! I called and spoke w/the mgr and had a nice complimentary breakfast. The point being, it never use to be like this, so many different areas to tip. How do you feel about this ? And what areas are not standard i.e. waitstaff, bellhop - also, if it's not a standard area for tipping, Im never sure how much?
This is the norm in the USA but not always in other countries. I don't think one needs to tip more than 10-15% in most cases although 20% is becoming the norm in the USA for restaurant service.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,057,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I went to one with a tip jar, too. As if that's not obnoxious enough, at the one I went to, the salesgirl thought she was entitled to take a tip herself.

I bought for $9.20, handed her a $10 bill, and she just put the money in the register and closed it. She didn't want to give me my change! When I asked for it, she said, "Oh, I thought that was the tip."

I couldn't believe the nerve of her! I informed the manager right away. He was appalled and let me have the yogurt for free.
Wow, I would have been livid. I'm glad the manager comped your yogurt, because what his employee did was nothing less than theft.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post

WOW $9.20 For yogurt, Hopefully you were getting it for a few people....

Old 07-01-2014, 10:46 PM

10,720 posts, read 17,442,230 times
I don't mind tipping for good service. But what is sad is the only places that offer good service now are boutique or luxury items. That type of service used to be offered for free at ordinary places 30 years ago. Now, it's a premium. For example, if you want friendly good customer service, it's seen as a premium and you have to stay at the Four Seasons to get that. If you want a good waiter who is polite, patient, smiles, refills your drinks without asking, checks upon you, you have to dine at a 4 or 5 star restaurant. Cab drivers in my experience are typically rude and try to rip you off. If you want a polite honest driver, you have to hire a car service. If you want service at a clothing store, you have to shop at Nordstrom otherwise if you walk into standard store, you will get ignored. If you want good service at an auto dealer, you have to shop at Lexus; they wash your cars for free, will pick up and drop off your car at most dealers etc. You have to pay more but I think it's worth it most of the time. Even for grocery stores, the only store I've been to where the grocer is friendly smiles and will personally walk you to the aisle with the item you are looking for is Whole Foods. Your routine grocery store will make it challenging to find an employee and then they will tell you to check out an aisle but won't walk with you or show you it.

I've identified the cause. The cost of doing business has escalated. Companies hire less employees. Employees feel overworked and unable to keep up with demand so they rush you and service declines.

Case in point, 30 years ago, I worked in a store that still operates today. Back then we had a greeter and protocol. When you arrived in the store, you were required to greet that person within 10-15 seconds, You were required to ask them if they needed help with anything. You were expected to smile and volunteer to go to the stock room if merchandise was unavailable. We had enough people to man each section. We had a manager who actively supervised and knew when you were not doing your job. Now when I go to that same store, there is no greeter. One person will man 2 or 3 sections. There is no supervisor or manager anywhere to be found. The employees know they are not being supervised. I've been to the same store in multiple locations and it's the same.

The bottom line is this: As a customer, you can't really control tips because you will be expected to tip. BUT, you can control where you tip. Choose to do business with good companies and ones that offer great service. The bad companies with poor service wither away. It's a form of corporate evolution. The strong will survive. The key is not to reinforce bad companies or particular stores etc.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 PM

10,720 posts, read 17,442,230 times
I'm just going to say it. You are an idiot, if you tip the following people. You might be a very nice person but you clearly are lacking in the intelligence department. Do the world a favor, and donate your money to a REAL CHARITY and not these people!

1. The sonic drive thru girl who drops off your bag of fastfood to the car. They are not providing an additional service. Walking 10 feet to your car with a brown bag of a hamburger and fries is not service.

2. The Starbucks barrista - They charge you a ridiculous amount for the coffee. Now you want to tip them because they held a cup under a machine, squirted some syrup in and put a lid on top. I love Starbucks. I like their employees. Sorry, I don't need to tip a dollar on top of the 5 I just spent for a cup of cofree

3. Bartenders - It's one thing if they are making you a drink that requires skill like a martini or an old fashioned. But it's another thing if they are opening a bottle of beer, pouring a beer or making you a vodka soda or simple drink Why should you tip them a dollar per drink when the drink is overpriced to begin with. Waiters, I understand! They are actually providing you with a service. A bartender who pours you a draft of beer is doing no more work than the fast food worker who pours you a soda fountain drink, Bartenders are not poor. They make a lot of money. They are glad they are not salaries because they make a ton more with tips from morons.

4. The Bathroom Attendant - I don't need someone to hand me a paper towel. The guy isn't providing me with a service. They are just getting in the way of the paper towel dispenser. This isn't the 1920's. We don't need a guy to take up room by the bathroom counter and hand me mints. If you tip this guy, you are a sucker

5. The Door Man - I can open my own door. Better yet, I wish you had automated door. I receive nothing by observing a man dressed in a gallant uniform form the 19th century. You are wearing gloves...wow!

6. The valet attendant who opens your cab door - again, I can open my own door. You don't need a dollar for opening a door that I had planned on opening for myself

7. Any fast food joint - The Dairy Queen kid wanted a tip because the Blizzard he made me could be held upside down without leaking. Wow, here is a dollar for making sure the machine that poured the ice cream was thick enough

8. Pizza Pick Up - This deserves special mention meaning it deserves special mention that you are stupid enough to fall for this ploy. If you are going to tip, at the very least, let them do the driving and drop off the pizza for you. You made the effort to drive and pick up the pizza. They put it in a box. That doesn't deserve a tip.

9. The guy who whistles a cab for you at the airport or a hotel - You don't need to tip that guy. There is already a line of cabs waiting to pull toward you. All he does is signal to them when they can pull forward. He might then open the door for you. You were going to do that for yourself. He doesn't deserve a dollar.

10. Tipping at the Buffet - Okay, it's one thing if it's 1 or 2 dollars if the waiter repeatedly fills your drinks and cleans up after you. But if you endure the standard buffet experience where the waitress drops of your waters, never sees you again and then expects a tip at the end, tell her to work for Sonic then. You are getting your own plates, your own food and in some instances, your own drinks.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-02-2014 at 12:23 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,174,329 times
Wow ! Lots of great comments on here

A couple of things I was thinking about,

I remember, years ago, when gas stations were full service, so the attendant would pump the gas, wash the windows, check oil & air. They were usually really nice, good attitude and they were never tipped, nor was it expected or even thought of in that time. (and they certainly would have deserve a tip)

Then stations, later on, had two diff. prices for self-serve or full serve, which is fair.

So I started thinking when did (time period) it change that a customer is expected to tip just for the person doing their job properly w/o offering any type of extra service.
When was it no longer the customers choice if to tip and what they consider is reasonable amt.

Also, many years ago, use to fly alot.
I would enjoy a cocktail now and then and any time I would try to give the flight attendant a tip, they always said they couldn't accept it. That it was policy or something like that.
I can't think of anyone more deserving of a tip than a flight attendant.
So, it was a bummer for me and I'm sure them, too, because it was the right thing to do and I couldn't it.

I noticed in the past 5 - 6 years the waitstaff attitude in restaurants overall - really awful. It's like of you ask them for one thing you're bothering them, then you go on with your dinner w/o seeing them again - now it's time for the check and 20% is expected ?
Hey, wait our party did want coffee and dessert, but we weren't being waited on anymore just slapped with the check !

Then the amt. of tip is going to be adjusted accordingly, it's unfortunate that this type of dining experience is becoming more and more common.

I still know a few restaurants, that I've been dining at forever, wonderful food, amazing service, beautiful ambiance - a pleasure the way dining use be, and yes, I'm tipping in the 30% +

Old 07-01-2014, 11:19 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,656,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Do you think tipping everyone is a liitle overboard. I don't consider myself a cheap person, have always given the waitstaff a good tip and sometimes a great tip.
It just seems from the taxi driver (not opening doors or handling suitcases) hairdresser, the valet, the man at the hotel that hails the cab and opens the door, the lady in the ladies room that hands me a towel, the bellhop, room service ! Room service is the worst - We ordered a really nice dinner and when they arrived they didn't have a table ! And added the standard 18% tip ! I called and spoke w/the mgr and had a nice complimentary breakfast. The point being, it never use to be like this, so many different areas to tip. How do you feel about this ? And what areas are not standard i.e. waitstaff, bellhop - also, if it's not a standard area for tipping, Im never sure how much?
Absolutely. I just spent 5 weeks in South Africa/Europe. I spent about 500-600 dollars in tips throughout the entire trip. Tour guides, maids, et al. Tipping has gotten way out of hand and, the worst thing is, many expect it from American's. In Australia, no one tips waiting staff. Yet, we tip everyone. So, many people believe we are rich and they are entitled to a tip.

As bad as it may sound, because of my last experience, I severely started to curtail my tipping. Unless my tour guide is exceptional, I say thank you and walk away. I don't tip at restaurants, except for maybe leaving whatever change I get on the table. And that changes too, based upon where I am (I can easily get 5-10 dollars worth of coins in say England).

Worst, I have found when I try and stay somewhere "upscale," I am not rich, everyone expects even more tipping. Which, I don't have. On my trip to Zambia, I stayed at the Royal Livingstone. Great hotel, however I had a butler assigned to my room??? At the end of my stay he, of course, expected a tip. For what? I never used him for a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or