U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 06:31 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I doubt I'll be taking a cruise now, after reading all of these comments, it's way too complicated there !

I didn't realize it's the customers burden to pay just about every employee on a cruise. This isn't right but it's also not right that the employees are not properly paid by their employer.

For the post about having a really rude salesperson at Nordstrom, I use to work for Nordstrom and in the training they made it clear that as a salesperson if you get one complaint about bring rude you'll be fired the same day.
oh, you have misunderstood: Here is the cruise policies for mass marketed lines: there is a set service fee per day, per person. It is not at all complicated. Depending on the line it will range from about 11.00 a day to about $13 and that covers tips for everyone except the bar service people and spa personal. For them, a 15 to 18% tip is automatically added to your charges. Anyone who says they tip $450 a cruise is out of their minds in my opinion. As for the daily charge remember, you are eating 3 meals a day, you are having your cabin cleaned from top to bottom twice a day, plus all the other special attention you receive. If you were to tip on land, for the type of service it would amount to more per day. All inclusive resorts normally have an no tipping policy, but the overall cost is much higher than a cruise if you choose a 4 or 5 star resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,174,329 times
nmnita: I appreciate how clearly you stated this

of course, it's standard to tip for what you mentioned and the percentage

It's been a long time since I've taken a cruise, I don't recall, overall, this huge issue of tipping back then.

Cruises have had so much negativity on the news on a lots of diff. levels.
I'm not sure they still have the same appeal ?

I worked in the travel industry years ago and use to book cruises all the time. Everyone loved them, they were reasonably priced, and customers were always happy Never heard of any complaints about anything, always positive - Like the "Love Boat"

What is your favorite cruise line, and where do you like to go

Happy Traveling

Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,495,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think that poster is FOS, and didn't tip anyone anything.
YAAASS! I'm full of sh*t!!! That's all I do! I make up stories for the fun of it!

If you didn't catch on, I was being sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hello: you said in your earlier post the bar servers and spa people were part of the auto tipping pool and now you admit this is a separate tip. yes, it is automatic, but it isn't part of the tipping pool?

As for your tipping $450 per person, I would have to wonder why you are not cruising a luxury liner if you can afford that much. And if you are tipping almost a half grand you sill are over looking those behind the scenes that work very hard to make your vacation a truly memorable experience.

And btw I certainly hope you don't get caught bring your own drinks on board...It is against RCI policy unless you are talking soda only.
Hence I why I stated "I misinterpreted what RC said". Oasis of the Seas was the most luxurious one at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So what about the servers at breakfast and lunch? The Maitre 'D/dining room manager who makes sure everything runs smoothly?

You had multiple rooms--how many people were in your party?
It's a buffet. Party of 6.
Oh, my gosh! You're really passionate about this tipping thing, aren't you?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 PM

829 posts, read 825,844 times
I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if it's been mentioned. My daughter is a server. The way the restaurant works is that for every sale, 18 percent is added and split between all the workers, including bussers and cooks. That means if that if the sale had NO tip, no matter how big or small, the waitress who is the point of sale still has to pay it out. That means that some days the Waitress may be in a negative at the end of the day. That means your server PAID to have you eat there. Something to think about.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 AM

85 posts, read 160,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Anyone that complains about tipping has an issue with money.

It also has to do with lack of empathy. They fail to realize folks in those jobs depend on tips to survive because the pay is incredibly low.
No... some folks do not know that the pay is not minimum wage at least. I did not - till I read this thread.

I tip what I believe is reasonably well- about 18-25% ... but it makes me very unhappy to shell out that extra 20% . I would rather they increased their charges for the service rendered or bill by 20% and said no thank-you to a tip. It somehow feels sneaky to short-change your employees and expect the customers to bear the cost in a indirect way
InSpa, never accepted tips for the LMTs and I loved the lack of stressors that it brought to my visits.
I happily spent a great deal of money on their slightly inflated pricies for massages, but then they went back to tips. I stopped going.

I know I am not the only one who thinks this way.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:07 AM

431 posts, read 397,619 times
walk TIPPING started in england my country of birth it was for the SERVICE RENDERED when a traveler stopped at a inn (or a place or rest ) late at night the servants had to get out or bed to take care of the needs there was no set fee /price for this therefore the TIP* to insure promptness* was given and not keep the travellers waiting to long for the room/s
today its mostly a farce some folks wel paid of not think its a *right *
poeple who give a service i dont tip
garbage collectors
ups/ fedexpress etc delivery personal
mail person
check out and baggers at the grocery store
furniture /large items truck drivers
memo to that unless they do extra like set it up and take out old that was not in the contract
mechanics fixing car or just changing oil
receptionist at doctors dentist etc
teller at bank
tv set up guy /lady
internet service guy /lady

service peeps i do tip
hair dresser personal she calls me by name sometimes takes a late lunch so she can cut my hair knows what i want
3 /6 dollars for a 12 buck haircut

Wait staff if i get attention smile and coffee within a few minutes of sitting down the meal is as ordered and there is conversation at least20 /25%

bartender
this is my favourite the bars i frequent its more of a buddy thing he knows my name what i drink we talk about sport / life anything we fill like usually give at least 50 % ( i get happy hour prices )
if its strange or (one time only ) situation and there is no contact just put the drink down in front of me and walk away its a $1 period

cruise lines
we use royal carribbean have done for years are gold members
always good service and the cabin staff are top notch .they have a guide you can use for tipping if you ..a service % is added on to drinks at the time of order .had one problem one time the waiter was warm freindly and introduced himself as soon as we entered the dining room the wine water came on over spoke a little and shook everbodys hand , a third **person** kinda slipped by. saying with a glance in our direction that he was the * head waiter * 3 envelopes were given to me at the end of the cruise we tipped
waiter and wine waiter handsomely the *head waiter * had the balls to hold his hand out as well. as he had never approached ,spoken to us or brought anything to our table since that quick hello at the start of the cruise we had not seen him during the whole 7 day trip he got nothing .

Old 07-03-2014, 01:12 AM

4,492 posts, read 2,879,022 times
Quote:
How much are you expected to tip on this ?

I thought tip meant to insure promptness - how would that apply here ?

It just doesn't make sense to tip here, I would say not to.

Taxi drivers that don't handle suitcases or don't open doors and drive 5 miles in a straight line shouldn't have said to me (fare was 17.50, gave him a 20) do you want change, I said yes
That's actually a misuse of the word. "insure" means...
arrange for compensation in the event of damage to or loss of (property), or injury to or the death of (someone), in exchange for regular advance payments to a company or government agency.
"the table should be insured for $2,500"

while "ensure" means...
make certain that (something) shall occur or be the case.
"the client must ensure that accurate records be kept"

... so you're thinking of a "tep", not a "tip".

Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,495,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
That's actually a misuse of the word. "insure" means...
arrange for compensation in the event of damage to or loss of (property), or injury to or the death of (someone), in exchange for regular advance payments to a company or government agency.
"the table should be insured for $2,500"

while "ensure" means...
make certain that (something) shall occur or be the case.
"the client must ensure that accurate records be kept"

... so you're thinking of a "tep", not a "tip".
WOW! Is that all you have to add to the conversation? Do you suffer from Grammar Pedantry syndrome?

Since you're so proper, I suggest you read an etiquette book. I'm surprised you don't know that it's rude to correct someone else unless you're a teacher or they ask you to correct them.

Keep this in mind: You forgot to capitalize the first word in several of your sentences. You also didn't correctly punctuate several of your sentences (I.e. When using an eclipse (3 periods), you're supposed to close it with a 4th period). I could go on, but I think I'll stop there.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
nmnita: I appreciate how clearly you stated this

of course, it's standard to tip for what you mentioned and the percentage

It's been a long time since I've taken a cruise, I don't recall, overall, this huge issue of tipping back then.

Cruises have had so much negativity on the news on a lots of diff. levels.
I'm not sure they still have the same appeal ?

I worked in the travel industry years ago and use to book cruises all the time. Everyone loved them, they were reasonably priced, and customers were always happy Never heard of any complaints about anything, always positive - Like the "Love Boat"

What is your favorite cruise line, and where do you like to go

Happy Traveling
I think cruising is still a great way to travel; remember, with 24/7 coverage and so many ships in the water, compared to years ago, we hear more about the bad than we used to, plus there was a time when cruising was just for the upper crust. Now, it has become a family vacation. As for the tipping, it is actually easier than it used to be. I remember when we had guide lines as how much to tip who and it never worked out to be a round figure. We would rush to the pursers desk, get a bunch of envelopes, then a bunch of singles, $5s whatever and start filling each with someone's name on the outside. It was have the amount applied to our account and let the cruise line divide the tips.

BTW cruises are still reasonably priced if you choose the right one and the right type of cabin. There are probably the least expensive way to have a nice vacation and see a lot in a short period of time.

My favorite line: for us, it happens to be NCL, but for many it is another line. Whether mass marketed of smaller, lines, it all depends on what you are expecting from your vacation. We like the relaxed atmosphere and the friendly crew on NCL. Plus they have great entertainment. For others, HAL is a great choice, but for us, the ships are beautiful and the crew very professional, but we want a little more action. For others, the river boat idea is the way to go and still there are those who will save for years to sail on the luxury lines.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:07 AM

445 posts, read 1,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Yesterday I had to get my eyeglasses adjusted. It's part of the service for me buying my glasses there that they offer free adjustments for life. I spent $500.00 for them which was about 3 years ago.

I was stunned that there was a tip jar at the persons desk who made the adjustment.

That is way out of hand. I would have gladly done my share and paid an extra $10.00 for the glasses if they would pay their employees a living wage.

Just wonder what's next? Could bank tellers and all cashiers at the grocery store be far behind?
LOL! That reminds me of a Fed Ex/UPS place by my office. They also sold lottery tickets. I used to go there to drop off packages. I was astounded to see that they had a tip jar!

I generally don't tip for take-out food - maybe once in awhile if I'm feeling generous or if it's a latte rather than a regular coffee. But if I'm just getting a toasted bagel with cream cheese, I don't tip.

I tip 20% at restaurants and bars. Same with taxis and hairdressers. I haven't had a massage or facial in years but when I did, I would tip them as well.

But those bathroom attendants are super-annoying! Leave me alone, I just want to wash my hands! I never tip them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or