U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 07:20 AM

4,363 posts, read 3,235,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
WOW $9.20 For yogurt, Hopefully you were getting it for a few people....
No that was one with a bunch of toppings. It was way too much. I'll never do that again. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:23 AM

431 posts, read 397,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
That's actually a misuse of the word. "insure" means...
arrange for compensation in the event of damage to or loss of (property), or injury to or the death of (someone), in exchange for regular advance payments to a company or government agency.
"the table should be insured for $2,500"

while "ensure" means...
make certain that (something) shall occur or be the case.
"the client must ensure that accurate records be kept"

... so you're thinking of a "tep", not a "tip".
i dont tip the grammer police either .

Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Hair dressers have licenses and are required to pay for continuing education to maintain those licenses. Many rent a chair at a salon and have to pay for all their tools and chemicals/shampoos/etc. By the time all is said and done, the cost of the haircut is mostly eaten up by their costs, and they rely on the tips for a living. Many are not paid an hourly wage, they only get a few bucks from each service from the salon owner.

Same for taxi drivers. By the time they pay for the vehicle, maintenance, fuel, hack license, insurance, etc., they rely on the tips to earn a living. They are not paid an hourly wage.

By the way, hotel cleaners make a higher hourly wage than most hairdressers or cab drivers.
How much they make and how much it costs to live in the city is none of my business. If they think it is not enough, then charge a higher price instead of expecting more from tips.

They charge a price for the service, and I pay for that. If one charges me $15 for cutting my hair, that's the price I pay for such services. What is the tip for? I fail to understand.

Same for cab drivers. They charge a certain amount based on distance travelled. and I pay for the full service. I don't know what additional tip is for.

Not the same for waitors. The price is only for the food, and the tip is for their services (bring me food, take orders, clean tables etc), which makes sense.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM

241 posts, read 152,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You're only half right though. It perpetuates this problem that employers don't have to pay certain workers well because they know the tips *should* make up the difference. But why should that be the burden of the consumer in every case?
Why should the employer bear the burden? That's not the way the business world works. Even if tips were completely eliminated, the burden would STILL be on you, the customer. The tipping portion would be automatically added to your bill in that case. And the service would be much worse if no tips were expected.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
How much they make and how much it costs to live in the city is none of my business. If they think it is not enough, then charge a higher price instead of expecting more from tips.

They charge a price for the service, and I pay for that. If one charges me $15 for cutting my hair, that's the price I pay for such services. What is the tip for? I fail to understand.

Same for cab drivers. They charge a certain amount based on distance travelled. and I pay for the full service. I don't know what additional tip is for.

Not the same for waitors. The price is only for the food, and the tip is for their services (bring me food, take orders, clean tables etc), which makes sense.
Hopefully you won't end up standing in the rain for an hour waiting for a cab someday because drivers are moving to other, more lucrative lines of work, which is causing a shortage.

As to the hairdresser, I hope they have an unfortunate tic sometime which cutting your hair. My hair dresser refuses to re-book people who don't tip appropriately. She is booked solidly for weeks, and can pick and choose who she will style. Her sister and best friend are the same way.

I worked in a restaurant years ago, and the manager ended up telling Mr. $1 for a family of three with a $40 check every Sunday who complained about everything that they were no longer welcome to eat there after every server in the restaurant refused to wait on them.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 AM

12,446 posts, read 10,889,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
...And the service would be much worse if no tips were expected.
If an employee won't work for a known wage the solution is simple - they shouldn't apply for that position. There are plenty of folks who will do that job - and do it well. With the current tipping model waitstaff are simply parasitic beggars hovering around the table as you leave. It's a low-skill job and isn't held in very high regard by the business owners or they would pay a fixed wage.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
If an employee won't work for a known wage the solution is simple - they shouldn't apply for that position. There are plenty of folks who will do that job - and do it well. With the current tipping model waitstaff are simply parasitic beggars hovering around the table as you leave. It's a low-skill job and isn't held in very high regard by the business owners or they would pay a fixed wage.
I disagree.

I recently went on a cruise with no tipping. This was on a luxury line. The service sucked, the crew members didn't care. Totally different than the cruise before that on a similar luxury ship but where the crew was tipped. They were happy and couldn't do enough for you.

If tipped employees stopped applying for jobs that pay $2.15 an hour, you'd have a hard time going out to eat--unless you think fine dining is McDonalds.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Hopefully you won't end up standing in the rain for an hour waiting for a cab someday because drivers are moving to other, more lucrative lines of work, which is causing a shortage.

As to the hairdresser, I hope they have an unfortunate tic sometime which cutting your hair. My hair dresser refuses to re-book people who don't tip appropriately. She is booked solidly for weeks, and can pick and choose who she will style. Her sister and best friend are the same way.

I worked in a restaurant years ago, and the manager ended up telling Mr. $1 for a family of three with a $40 check every Sunday who complained about everything that they were no longer welcome to eat there after every server in the restaurant refused to wait on them.
I will never have such problems.
Tipping has always been "optional". I refuse to accept such absurb entitlement of such extra income as if it is a responsibility for the customers. If she thinks generous tipping is required, just put it on her damn bill and I will have no problem with that whatsoever.
The server has absolutely no right refusing to wait on a customer. That's their job, and they are just be extremely unprofessional - that's the whole point of your story.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 AM

By the way, we went out to dinner last night at one of the nicer local places. Had a half price coupon for local residents that brought the cost down to $63 including tax. We left a $35 tip, service was well worth it.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I will never have such problems.
Tip has always been "optional". I refuse to accept such absurb entitlement of such extra income as if it is a responsibility for the customers. If she thinks general tipping is required, just put it on her damn bill and I will have no problem with that whatsoever.
My hairdresser doesn't set the price, the salon does. She can't just add to the bill. She can turn down customers who are cheap.

You HOPE you will never have those problems. Never say never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or