Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,670,371 times

Advertisements

Do you think tipping everyone is a liitle overboard. I don't consider myself a cheap person, have always given the waitstaff a good tip and sometimes a great tip.
It just seems from the taxi driver (not opening doors or handling suitcases) hairdresser, the valet, the man at the hotel that hails the cab and opens the door, the lady in the ladies room that hands me a towel, the bellhop, room service ! Room service is the worst - We ordered a really nice dinner and when they arrived they didn't have a table ! And added the standard 18% tip ! I called and spoke w/the mgr and had a nice complimentary breakfast. The point being, it never use to be like this, so many different areas to tip. How do you feel about this ? And what areas are not standard i.e. waitstaff, bellhop - also, if it's not a standard area for tipping, Im never sure how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,288,637 times
Yes, it has gotten out of line! And the one that perturbed me the most was finding out that massage therapists expect tips. At $30 to $40 for a half-hour session???

Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 PM

5,562 posts, read 6,490,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Do you think tipping everyone is a liitle overboard. I don't consider myself a cheap person, have always given the waitstaff a good tip and sometimes a great tip.
It just seems from the taxi driver (not opening doors or handling suitcases) hairdresser, the valet, the man at the hotel that hails the cab and opens the door, the lady in the ladies room that hands me a towel, the bellhop, room service ! Room service is the worst - We ordered a really nice dinner and when they arrived they didn't have a table ! And added the standard 18% tip ! I called and spoke w/the mgr and had a nice complimentary breakfast. The point being, it never use to be like this, so many different areas to tip. How do you feel about this ? And what areas are not standard i.e. waitstaff, bellhop - also, if it's not a standard area for tipping, Im never sure how much?
This has always been the norm. Anyone who provides a service is tipped. All those you mentioned above are to be tipped. The only time you don't tip for a service performed is when the owner provides that service, ie in a beauty shop, excuse me, "salon", or a self-employed massage therapist, or a lawn service owner, for example. All others are service workers who are "tipped". I have a problem, however, with a "forced" tip, such as being added to my bill, except for a dining party of six or more. As for how much, I tip according to how the service is. I don't believe in PC when tipping, not everyone is worthy of the same amount.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 06-30-2014 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Added words.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:45 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,670,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Yes, it has gotten out of line! And the one that perturbed me the most was finding out that massage therapists expect tips. At $30 to $40 for a half-hour session???
How much are you expected to tip on this ?

I thought tip meant to insure promptness - how would that apply here ?

It just doesn't make sense to tip here, I would say not to.

Taxi drivers that don't handle suitcases or don't open doors and drive 5 miles in a straight line shouldn't have said to me (fare was 17.50, gave him a 20) do you want change, I said yes

Old 06-30-2014, 11:53 PM

44,615 posts, read 61,546,293 times
Here's 30 some pages on tipping from another thread about the subject not too long ago...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ipping-32.html

Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,854,074 times
I went to a self-serve frozen yogurt shop and there was a tip jar at the register. I mean, really? I should tip someone for taking my money?????

Old 07-01-2014, 12:05 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,288,637 times
Quote:

Taxi drivers that don't handle suitcases or don't open doors and drive 5 miles in a straight line shouldn't have said to me (fare was 17.50, gave him a 20) do you want change, I said yes
I have no idea what an LMT's tip is based on. If it's for performance then there'd be no point in seeing him/her at all if the massage isn't satisfactory. Stupid.

A couple of years ago I was bought a gelato from a vendor at a farmers market, and when I asked him if he had a tip jar he said that he wasn't accepting tips. Boy, was that a shock!!

I, too, have had a few experiences with non-assisting taxi drivers.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:28 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,997,982 times
If I have to load my bags in the trunk of the taxi chances are good I will probably be the one unloading them. If that is the case I tip myself. On the other hand if the driver is helpful he will get a tip.

At restaurants I generally tip around 20 percent. Once in a while the server goes way above and beyond what is considered good service. When that happens the tip can go all the way up to 100 percent. Then again if I get stuck with a server that hates life in general and is not afraid to show it, the tip can go down to zero. If the server really ticks me off I will leave a penny on the plate.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 AM

11,357 posts, read 9,268,646 times
Quote:

Very low wages, price of gas, upkeep on the vehicle (in most cases), zero benefits, and long hours. A cab driver usually works 7 days a week, 12 hours per day.

I feel bad for them. I do not take them often but all things considered I always tip well, assuming the service was good and they were honest.
My conscience would bother me if I didn't. It's standard procedure to give the cab driver a tip but I suspect most only give about 10% or less.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,630,475 times
Quote:
it has gotten totally out of hand: I remember figuring out, a few years ago, if we followed the guidelines on tipping in Vegas (the tip capitol of the world) we would end up tipping about $10 for every bag that made it from the airport to our hotel rooms. Like you, we are not cheap by any means and we realize many people depend on tips for survival. I remember when you didn't tip the owner of say, the beauty shop, now they expect a tip as well. Yes, I do tip them, but no, I don't like it.

I agree with you on the room service, they add 18 ro 20% or a service charge and the delivery person still expects a tip.

You ask how much, I don't think there is any set amount: I feel, if I am going to tip, they recipient should be happy regardless or a dollar of 10 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel