U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:27 PM

814 posts, read 939,425 times

Advertisements

To answer the OP's question, there is nowhere I wouldn't go, just to drive. I pretty much live for the serendipitous road trip (avoiding Interstate highways/other limited access freeways wherever possible, of course). I try to undertake one major trip a year, though it doesn't always work out. Two years ago I managed a 3,500 mile round trip circuit through the south. This year, in a few weeks, I'm driving from Denver to San Francisco and then down to L.A.

I also try to take at least one weekend a month to just drive around, even if it's just taking a completely new route to or from somewhere I'd be traveling to anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,982,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
To me, the journey should be the best part of any outing, and driving/looking around, be a large part of any holiday/vacation.

There could be somewhere that you really wouldn't go!
We would travel well together.

I am looking forward to my week in Vermont later this summer. We are flying in, getting a rental car, and we are just cruising around for a week. New England is a great place for doing just that.

But I agree, getting there is most of the fun. And the journey is the trip.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:03 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,327,302 times
Quote:
Is There Anywhere You Would Go, Just To Drive?
Definitely. Moab, Utah in our 2014 Jeep Wrangler!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:07 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,843,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Definitely. Moab, Utah in our 2014 Jeep Wrangler!

Exactly! You gotta have the right car.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:39 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,703,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I did a road trip over 3000 miles a couple of years ago and did it in nine days. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, one of the best trips I've ever taken!

I'd love to do a couple more. One related to urban exploration and the other related to trains. I usually make it a point to get in my car every weekend and go with no place in mind. Riding the back roads, getting lost and getting great pics in the process....
I did one of those trips too but it's been a long time ago. From No. Idaho to the Florida Keys with all sorts of destinations...IL, AL, VA, NC, etc...in between. We took nearly a month to do it though and I'd love to do it again. Went the Northern route going and Southern route back to AZ and then north to ID. That trip reminded me why I always drive the panhandle of TX and NOT across the state! lol

Love the back roads and meeting the locals. I learned a lot that way and enjoyed it immensely.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 AM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
Anywhere in the American West is a pleasure for driving, especially for this Easterner. The views are amazing no matter where you are. I-70 east of Salt Lake City at sunset! And on the maps, it's just another stretch of road (albeit, with red rocks and very steep grades all over. "No Services Next 120 Miles."

Old 07-19-2014, 03:17 PM

481 posts, read 1,044,229 times
I love driving the road from Glasgow to the Isle of Skye is ridiculous nearly crash the car when I saw this
An hours drive from me is the Yorkshire dales I've spent many a weekend aimlessly driving around

Old 07-19-2014, 03:41 PM

481 posts, read 1,044,229 times
My next planned drive is the best road in the Highlands the Bealach Na Ba Road
https://flic.kr/p/hnNpSi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or