Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:23 AM

13,573 posts, read 9,984,734 times

Advertisements

To me, the journey should be the best part of any outing, and driving/looking around, be a large part of any holiday/vacation.

There could be somewhere that you really wouldn't go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:05 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,986,544 times
I have done this many times. Most of my vacations have consisted of flying somewhere and then getting a rental car and hitting the road. Then at the end of each day I look at the map and decide where to head the next day. One road trip I covered 5 states driving over 3,000 miles. A couple of times during that trip I would pull over when coming to a junction and flip a coin to see which way I would go next.

One trip from Alaska to Vegas I flew to Chicago. Then took the train to Reno vis Portland and Sacramento. Next I rented a car and drove Reno to Vegas. Ended up taking me 6 days to get from Alaska to Vegas.

Only once have I gotten burned by not making hotel reservations in advance. On a trip to Vegas I got a car and headed East. My plan was to stop in St George, UT for the night. I pulled in to St George about 8pm only to find nothing but "No Vacancy" signs everywhere. I finally found what was the last motel room left there. The sign out front said $15 a night. The clerk told me since there was a marathon the next day the room rate was $125. After basicly telling the clerk what she could do with her $125 room I headed to the next town. Nothing but no vacancy signs. This repeated it's self town after town. Finally 200 miles later I found a hotel with rooms available.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:30 AM

13,573 posts, read 9,984,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I have done this many times. Most of my vacations have consisted of flying somewhere and then getting a rental car and hitting the road. Then at the end of each day I look at the map and decide where to head the next day. One road trip I covered 5 states driving over 3,000 miles. A couple of times during that trip I would pull over when coming to a junction and flip a coin to see which way I would go next.

One trip from Alaska to Vegas I flew to Chicago. Then took the train to Reno vis Portland and Sacramento. Next I rented a car and drove Reno to Vegas. Ended up taking me 6 days to get from Alaska to Vegas.

Only once have I gotten burned by not making hotel reservations in advance. On a trip to Vegas I got a car and headed East. My plan was to stop in St George, UT for the night. I pulled in to St George about 8pm only to find nothing but "No Vacancy" signs everywhere. I finally found what was the last motel room left there. The sign out front said $15 a night. The clerk told me since there was a marathon the next day the room rate was $125. After basicly telling the clerk what she could do with her $125 room I headed to the next town. Nothing but no vacancy signs. This repeated it's self town after town. Finally 200 miles later I found a hotel with rooms available.
Those are exactly the type of journeys I'd like to take. Maybe avoid the timing of the last one though.

It sounds like you could write a book, and an interesting book it would be.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:56 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,667,018 times
The AAA books and magazines are helpful when planning a road trip.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:33 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,351,090 times
If I had the time and money... Route 61. The classic American road trip.

I've never driven the "Cabot Trail" along coastal Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, but it's supposed to be spectacular in the Fall when the leaves change... autumn colours on one side of you, ocean views on the other... hills and winding roads.

And driving through the Rockies is something I want to cross off my bucket list.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
If you like scenic twisty roads,select the place you want to go on Google and add 'motorcycle roads' and sites like this pop up
California Motorcycle Roads & Tours - 400 Best Rides & Maps, 3000+ Pics

Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,369,496 times
It really depends. Just to drive my own car, probably not.

Just to drive a Lamborghini Aventador, yes.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,670,691 times
One of these days I'm going to take a road trip all around the country. Nothing I would plan in any great detail. I'd just get in the car and go. The only question is, what kind of car? It might be smart to rent a car just for the trip. I would be able to get what I want and I wouldn't have to worry about tearing up my own car. I've driven back-and-forth across the country for or five times years ago, but I always had some sort of time constraints or money constraints. Next time, I won't have either problem.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,714,332 times
I did a road trip over 3000 miles a couple of years ago and did it in nine days. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, one of the best trips I've ever taken!

I'd love to do a couple more. One related to urban exploration and the other related to trains. I usually make it a point to get in my car every weekend and go with no place in mind. Riding the back roads, getting lost and getting great pics in the process....

Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,362,687 times
Well... since I have a family of 4 with two little ones, and since the national average gas prices are at a 5-year high, I'm not inclined drive long distances just for fun. But I have already planned several fun trips to many beautiful Rocky Mountain locations that we're fortunate to live so close to. In a couple more years, when the kids are a little older and I have some time and money saved up, I will take them all to see the Grand Canyon and parts of the West Coast where I grew up. I might someday drive back east with them, but I'd be a lot more likely to just fly out and rent a car for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel