U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,662,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
All great posts so far, thanks everyone and reps have been added.

This trip isn't a souvenir gathering trip, so not concerned about that. I too enjoy the flexibility of packing light.

Will be shopping for some 100ml flaçons. Good to know the deo and soap don't count towards the ziplock bag. Anyone can recommend a good source for empty 100ml bottles?

I like the idea of separates that can be coordinated to each other. Will be packing extra undies for sure.

Went ahead and got the swimsuit, I already got the rash guards and the rest. Now going to work out the wardrobe.

Thanks again everyone!
Unless you just to have to have certain shampoo's, etc, why bother even bringing them? Get off the plane and you can buy shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, et al at almost any place in Europe. In fact, you would have to be in the middle of no where not to be able to purchase these items. I never carry them with me and just purchase them when I arrive.

Same holds true for things like socks and underwear. I'll buy them when I arrive and yes, the "Go Green" folks will kill me, but I just dispose of them as needed. Socks and underwear are very cheap. I can buy a 10 pack of socks for 12 bucks or so; same for underwear.

In fact, to be really cheap, most motels will give you a toothbrush and toothpaste, amongst other things for free. All you have to do is ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,941,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Unless you just to have to have certain shampoo's
Yes, it's easy and fun to buy or receive stuff from other sources, but after I had a traditional Turkish bath at a hamam, I was glad to have my own shampoo because their water was so hard that my hair felt like straw.

But that's just me and I am really not a fanatic about brand loyalty.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:16 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Unless you just to have to have certain shampoo's, etc, why bother even bringing them? Get off the plane and you can buy shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, et al at almost any place in Europe. In fact, you would have to be in the middle of no where not to be able to purchase these items. I never carry them with me and just purchase them when I arrive.

Same holds true for things like socks and underwear. I'll buy them when I arrive and yes, the "Go Green" folks will kill me, but I just dispose of them as needed. Socks and underwear are very cheap. I can buy a 10 pack of socks for 12 bucks or so; same for underwear.

In fact, to be really cheap, most motels will give you a toothbrush and toothpaste, amongst other things for free. All you have to do is ask.
I disagree to an extent. I always being enough for my first day or two, and definitely bring the preferred brand of deodorant and toothpaste, as I have found I don't care for the Euro versions. (Particularly in France)

I had a hard time finding a decent hair spray in Italy, and forget trying to find certain feminine hygiene products in about half of Europe, they simply aren't sold.

Very few European hotels offer complimentary toiletries outside of the soap, shampoo, conditioner, and hand cream in your room.

I wash out socks, underwear, and even shirts every night, then hang and they are dry in the morning.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,542,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I travel carry on only, no problems.
I always either stuff it all into a small backpack which doesn't need to go into overhead or else I check it. One time (in 30+ years) my luggage got lost (on a domestic flight) and it took about 24 hours to get it. Admittedly, that was a hassle, but much less than the cumulative hassle of fighting with aggressive travelers for limited overhead space on every flight.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I always either stuff it all into a small backpack which doesn't need to go into overhead or else I check it. One time (in 30+ years) my luggage got lost (on a domestic flight) and it took about 24 hours to get it. Admittedly, that was a hassle, but much less than the cumulative hassle of fighting with aggressive travelers for limited overhead space on every flight.
I have enough status that I am on before the hoards, so no problem getting space.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:17 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,542,616 times
Quote:
I have enough status that I am on before the hoards, so no problem getting space.
Good for you, but those "hoards" are made up of individuals, and they can't all assume that their "status" will entitle them to a certain amount of space. That's why I check. I prefer to stay out of that contest even if it means a big hassle once every few decades.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 PM

13,404 posts, read 21,971,521 times
Trip is off - finances and school commitment proving to be quite the impediment.

Still repping everyone for posting replies!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Trip is off - finances and school commitment proving to be quite the impediment.

Still repping everyone for posting replies!
Too bad. But when you finally do take the trip you will have lots of info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Good for you, but those "hoards" are made up of individuals, and they can't all assume that their "status" will entitle them to a certain amount of space. That's why I check. I prefer to stay out of that contest even if it means a big hassle once every few decades.
I totally understand your unwillingness to deal with it. It's too bad this problem even exists.

While some do abuse carry-on, it is not, in my opinion, all the hordes' fault.

The three biggest airlines just made carry-on sizes limits smaller.

During this last trip, we carried on from JAX to JFK, from JFK to CDG, from CDG to IST, from IST to Cappadocia, then back again, then back to Paris, then back home again, connecting in Dublin.

That's a lot of carrying on, but we managed to get overhead bin space just fine as regular economy passengers with no status.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Too bad. But when you finally do take the trip you will have lots of info!

I totally understand your unwillingness to deal with it. It's too bad this problem even exists.

While some do abuse carry-on, it is not, in my opinion, all the hordes' fault.

The three biggest airlines just made carry-on sizes limits smaller.

During this last trip, we carried on from JAX to JFK, from JFK to CDG, from CDG to IST, from IST to Cappadocia, then back again, then back to Paris, then back home again, connecting in Dublin.

That's a lot of carrying on, but we managed to get overhead bin space just fine as regular economy passengers with no status.
I've been using a 20" x 14" bag for going on 12 years. If people would be reasonable and use that size bags, almost double could fit in the overheads, as a 20" fits wheels in.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I've been using a 20" x 14" bag for going on 12 years. If people would be reasonable and use that size bags, almost double could fit in the overheads, as a 20" fits wheels in.
My backpack is a very reasonable 22" x 15" (the original standard regulation size) and I've been using it for about the same amount of time. I know from experience that if necessary, it fits under the seat in front of me.

I don't think these new rules have *anything* to do with making more overhead bin space. This is about getting more money.

For now, I guess I'm okay, because for domestic flights I usually use Southwest or Jetblue, with their luxurious 24" x 16".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or