U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 AM

1,804 posts, read 6,308,275 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! I need suggestions for how a 20 year old young man should access and/or have money while traveling throughout Africa. Do they still do travelers checks ?? I have never traveled to a non-developed area before. Travelers checks seem the safest. The checks and a combination of cash and access to debit cards as needed. He does have a debit card(s) but no credit card. I know fees can be outrageous for cash back but he does have an account that will pay for fees - however I need to check as I don't know if that covers atm's in Africa. He will be gone for 4 months, combo of big cities and rural. Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 AM

556 posts, read 767,606 times
Which country/countries?

Edit to add - you should also check with his university - both his "home" school and the institution that is sponsoring him abroad. He surely isn't the first student to study abroad with either organization, and they have definitely answered this question before.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM

9,148 posts, read 17,273,742 times
Travelers checks (The Paper ones) are not trusted any more, There are so many forged ones, that no one trusts them.

Get a Debit card that is NOT tied directly to his Main Accounts, Transfer $'s in as he would need it so he can take it out, US Dollars are King. (Also British Pounds) He should try to use a ATM that gives out Dollars or Pounds. Many of the "Big" mega Banks have ATM in the main cities, Find a bank that is on there network, or get a account @ the mega-banks.

Even with the ATM fees its still the safest way to go. Outside of the Big Main Cities you will not find ATM's its Cash there. (To Be safe, he should have two ATM cards, Cloning is a big problem, he uses card, and they have swipe's on the ATM and steal his Card # and PIN. That's why you don't keep extra in the account. ) Also let the bank customer service Dept know he will be in Africa.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,812,235 times
Most places won't even accept travelers checks any more.

Check with your bank--many of the large US banks have arrangements with banks around the world for no-fee ATM withdrawls.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Thanks everyone!! He will be in the southern region, including some time in South Africa. I have read the program literature and their recs, they recommend a credit card and mention a debit card and of course cash. I'm not sure how I feel about him having a credit card and wanted to know if people even still used travelers checks anymore.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Travelers checks (The Paper ones) are not trusted any more, There are so many forged ones, that no one trusts them.

Get a Debit card that is NOT tied directly to his Main Accounts, Transfer $'s in as he would need it so he can take it out, US Dollars are King. (Also British Pounds) He should try to use a ATM that gives out Dollars or Pounds. Many of the "Big" mega Banks have ATM in the main cities, Find a bank that is on there network, or get a account @ the mega-banks.

Even with the ATM fees its still the safest way to go. Outside of the Big Main Cities you will not find ATM's its Cash there. (To Be safe, he should have two ATM cards, Cloning is a big problem, he uses card, and they have swipe's on the ATM and steal his Card # and PIN. That's why you don't keep extra in the account. ) Also let the bank customer service Dept know he will be in Africa.
Question about the bolded comment. Do you mean one of those cards that are heavily advertised like the AMX cash card/debit card?? I am not familiar with the non bank sponsered cards. Also, as far as the "bank on their network", do you mean checking out which bank/network is big in let's say Cape Town and going with them?? Thanks so much.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:20 AM

15,155 posts, read 19,210,331 times
I'd also suggest a debit/ATM card, but I'll be specific about which bank to use: https://home.capitalone360.com/online-savings-account. They don't charge the foreign transaction fee when you withdraw money from the ATM. The bank that 'owns' the ATM will probably add a charge, but not CapitalOne.

You can do everything online, only putting enough money into the CaptitalOne account to cover the immediate future. This leaves the bulk of the money in an account that is NOT attached to the debit card, safe and sound.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd also suggest a debit/ATM card, but I'll be specific about which bank to use: https://home.capitalone360.com/online-savings-account. They don't charge the foreign transaction fee when you withdraw money from the ATM. The bank that 'owns' the ATM will probably add a charge, but not CapitalOne.

You can do everything online, only putting enough money into the CaptitalOne account to cover the immediate future. This leaves the bulk of the money in an account that is NOT attached to the debit card, safe and sound.
Thanks. Going to check it out now.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM

12,462 posts, read 18,551,750 times
The safest will always be credit cards - even if lost or stolen and used improperly you are protected. Combine with ATM cards - withdraw cash at comfortable intervals for an amount you can live with if you lose the cash. You will have no issue finding ATM machines in South Africa. You are then good to go.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:33 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,957,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks everyone!! He will be in the southern region, including some time in South Africa. I have read the program literature and their recs, they recommend a credit card and mention a debit card and of course cash. I'm not sure how I feel about him having a credit card and wanted to know if people even still used travelers checks anymore.
A credit card with a low limit would actually be a good way for him to build up his credit and be (relatively) protected against fraud and other consequences from theft/etc. If you're worried about him making dumb young adult decisions -- he's won't be able to all that much stupid stuff with a $750 limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or