Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 04:59 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

I haven't traveled out of America since 2006. After a six year exile, the time's coming for me to go home again. But lately, I've been having second thoughts on going home, owing to personal reasons.

Instead, I'm zoning in on Jerusalem. My life's entering a new phase and what better way to start it than feeling the inside of the church of the Sepulchre. I'll be going alone. I had some recommendations from my friends but they seem very churchy, and I'm wondering if there is an option where I can travel without using services of religious agencies.

Another top priority would be staying out of trouble in a delicate zone of the planet.

I'm hoping many of you here have traveled to Jerusalem. How did you do it? How did you manage lodging? Travel tips are welcome.

I'm thinking Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Nazareth. Bethlehem is in Palestine, so it's going to be tricky. Have any of you tried straying out of lodging in Bethlehem and mingling with the local society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:32 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
In Jerusalem if you might want to check out the local YMCA and see if they have inexpensive lodging.
I believe for a non-Jewish American passport holder it is very easy to take a bus from East Jerusalem to the Palestinian sector. I saw this on the program Globe Trekker, which airs on PBS channels (see The official Globe Trekker website ). I think that returning from the Palestinian sector back into Israel is more of hassle.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
I travelled to Israel on my own and it was definitely worth it. Stay away from the religious excursions that shunt you from tourist trap to tourist trap. The sherut is a great way to get from the airport to Jerusalem.

Take a look at hostelworld or hostelpickers for decent accomodations. I stayed in a private room with ensuite, in the old city for about $15 a night - breakfast included. Easy to walk anywhere and truly experience the place. Shopping at the sook for your food is also quite the trip

If heading to Israel don't rule out Tel Aviv or some of the other cities. I hired a car and drove for 5 or 6 days, definitely worth it.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Saint Mark's Lutheran Guest House Hotel Review - Jerusalem Hotel Reviews and Ratings at Frommer's

Old 04-14-2012, 02:04 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehe View Post
You can travel to Jerusalem, 31 miles away, by taxi, which costs about 200 to 220 shekels (about $46 to $51, at 4.3 shekels to the dollar). A sherut, a shared taxi-minibus, costs about $10. Prices are often quoted in dollars or euros instead of shekels.
From the airport you can also take a train to Jerusalem (see Israel Railways - Home).

Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I travelled to Israel on my own and it was definitely worth it. Stay away from the religious excursions that shunt you from tourist trap to tourist trap. The sherut is a great way to get from the airport to Jerusalem.
If heading to Israel don't rule out Tel Aviv or some of the other cities. I hired a car and drove for 5 or 6 days, definitely worth it.
+1 to avoid religious tours & rent your own car. Consider Couchsurfing or Eat with a Local if you want an instant connection with locals. I'd link but I never can tell which links are allowed.

In addition to Tel Aviv, I recommend Haifa.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:33 AM

3 posts, read 2,797 times
Default Hotel in Jerusalem

As of Jerusalem, It is a good place to travel to. I've stuck here in India for a long time and planning my trip to overseas but first i want to Israel, Tel Av-iv or Jerusalem...As of Jerusalem the place is good but i really fear about the hotel bookings so now i have plans to stay at a hotel that i heard from my friends called American Colony Hotel. It is one of the best boutique hotel in Jerusalem

Here is the link that i found :-http://www.americancolony.com/

Old 07-07-2014, 05:09 AM

This hotel is about to open in Jerusalem and people are exited about it

Old 07-08-2014, 05:25 AM

hey Folkes,
I fully prepared to the trip that i was previously talking about, the hotels that i choose is a new The Norman, which about to open in August so i am going with my Wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel