U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:12 AM

556 posts, read 764,988 times

Advertisements

As if airlines enforce carry on limits... No, you should not have a problem as long as you put the backpack under the seat. If you do encounter an agent who enforces the rules, just carry the backpack in your hand as you board - then it's a briefcase with straps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,719,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I picked up Targus Ascend at Best Buy for under $30. Follow-up question, has anybody ever had a problem carrying on a roller and a backpack? I would argue discrimination, as this bag is smaller than some purses I see.
Nope, I carry on a roller bag and a cross body all the time. As long as it can fit under the seat, they'll let it go.

I do need to qualify that--most carriers will let it go. Some Euro carriers are really strict with size and weight, and some US discount carriers like Spirit will not allow it.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 AM

7,703 posts, read 16,160,716 times
As long as it looks like you can wedge the bag under the seat, they don't really care what your 'personal item' looks like. The problem comes with the bigger roller bag and regional jets, 100% sold out planes or both of the previous. I end up on an RJ half the time when I go see my parents, and the bigger roller bags are frequently subject to mandatory gate check when my giant cross body bag, which is actually slightly bigger than the rollies, gets waved right through by the gate agent.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:44 AM

5,338 posts, read 11,092,321 times
Mine looks like a regular hand bag.
Has padded room for the laptop (I checked if it could hold mine first !!)
Then a section for the peripherals (charger, external drive, mouse, cords)
and another section for *paperwork* (about 2 inches thick -- who has more than that ?).
On the front a small flap covered area for your wallet, passport and flight tickets.
On the *back*, you can pull out *hidden* straps, that can make the bag, into a *back-pack*.
You can carry the bag, holding on to the *handles*, or attach the shoulder strap (included)
Also on the back, there is a sleeve-like section that can be put *over* the handle of the *carry-on* you may have.
You pull up the handles of the carry-on then throw the laptop bag over it and it *sits* on the top of the carry on !
Made by *Ruggard*, 38 bucks (on sale) !! Unbelievable ! (How can you make something like that for only 38 dollars ?
Amazon.com: Ruggard Convertible Laptop Case (Black): Computers & Accessories

Now for a 17 inch unit go here ?

NOTE: I like buying from Amazon, since I can send it back pre-paid, if I do not like the actual item !!

Last edited by irman; 07-11-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 11:51 AM

5,338 posts, read 11,092,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Timbuk2. Best ever, and I have tried a lot of them from all ends of the price spectrum.
What exactly is *TSA Friendly* ??

Old 07-11-2014, 11:57 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,858,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
TSA Friendly is a particular type of bag where the laptop stays in one pocket, with nothing else. All the other belongings are in another compartment, and the two compartments can be partially separated so that the bag can lay flat.

In the photo below, the laptop would be in the compartment on the right, and all other belongings are in the compartment on the left. they lay flat like this to go through the xray. After going through security, the two parts are zipped together. No need to remove the laptop from the bag.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:57 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,719,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
"Checkpoint Friendly" Laptop Bags | Transportation Security Administration

Old 07-12-2014, 05:33 AM

19,885 posts, read 20,001,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
TSA Friendly is a particular type of bag where the laptop stays in one pocket, with nothing else. All the other belongings are in another compartment, and the two compartments can be partially separated so that the bag can lay flat.

In the photo below, the laptop would be in the compartment on the right, and all other belongings are in the compartment on the left. they lay flat like this to go through the xray. After going through security, the two parts are zipped together. No need to remove the laptop from the bag.
My bag can zip open like that and lay flat but I've had to remove the laptop every time!
Just luck??

Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,858,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My bag can zip open like that and lay flat but I've had to remove the laptop every time!
Just luck??
Are there any zippers or other fasteners on the side that holds the laptop? Anything else in the side that contains the laptop?

I have 2 TSA friendly bags and travel at least once a month. I've never had to remove my laptop. There must be some reason they're making you take it out.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 AM

19,885 posts, read 20,001,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Are there any zippers or other fasteners on the side that holds the laptop? Anything else in the side that contains the laptop?

I have 2 TSA friendly bags and travel at least once a month. I've never had to remove my laptop. There must be some reason they're making you take it out.
Ah ha! Yes. I remember now, it does have a pocket on the outside of that section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or