U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 AM

17,374 posts, read 21,223,392 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading a travel book by J. Maarten Troost, Lost On Planet China, and I made 3 trips over there in the early 90's, and having finished this book, and given all the changes, I thank God I did it when I did! Today, just considering the rampant rise in pollution, I never would have survived it today, healthwise!

I have felt that way about other areas of the world I traveled to over the years, good timing! I did it at the most ideal times to have traveled there, historically. Little or no desire to go there now!

Like Europe! I did Europe mostly in the early 70's, at the tail end of the hippie period, and back then, no mosques, no large number of immigrants, no fast food joints to speak of and no crackdowns yet on smoking!

Anyone else? Traveled somewhere years ago, and, now, in retrospect, you're thinking: Good timing, couldn't have timed that trip better!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:16 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,788,261 times
It seems like the world always has one or two neat places to visit. However, they just keep moving it around all the time. I guess that's the fun of it.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:41 PM

71,925 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just finished reading a travel book by J. Maarten Troost, Lost On Planet China, and I made 3 trips over there in the early 90's, and having finished this book, and given all the changes, I thank God I did it when I did! Today, just considering the rampant rise in pollution, I never would have survived it today, healthwise!

I have felt that way about other areas of the world I traveled to over the years, good timing! I did it at the most ideal times to have traveled there, historically. Little or no desire to go there now!

Like Europe! I did Europe mostly in the early 70's, at the tail end of the hippie period, and back then, no mosques, no large number of immigrants, no fast food joints to speak of and no crackdowns yet on smoking!

Anyone else? Traveled somewhere years ago, and, now, in retrospect, you're thinking: Good timing, couldn't have timed that trip better!!!
Yes, both Spain then Hong Kong: we did Spain for our 25th wedding anniversary, over 30 years ago. It was cheap, we bought back so many gifts for everyone including inexpensive LLadres: well inexpensive compared to today. We had 10 wonderful days for not a lot of money.

We did Hong Kong twice, both times before it went back to China. Again, not cheap, but some things were: we loved every minute: the first time we were there for 8 days, the second for 6. Now we couldn't afford the air plus things have changed in both countries so much.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
It doesn't make any sense to me when people completely rule out China because of pollution today. It's the 4th largest country on Earth, how can most of the country be polluted beyond what is considered acceptable for visiting purposes? Unless of course you are only interested in its largest cities.

I'm still young and new to this, but I guess I managed to be in Egypt last spring between some delicate events without seeing much indication of it.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:08 AM

17,374 posts, read 21,223,392 times
It's not just the polluted air, it's the polluted water, and the questionable food you eat over there! One of the reasons for the wealthier today, leaving China to become expats, is the better opportunities to eat safer food!

There are parts of China, today, the water is so polluted, they don't even recommend you wash your clothes in it!

And I wouldn't even trust the bottled water!

So happy I saw China when I did! I have COPD/Asthma, my lungs would never be able to handle it today!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
It doesn't make any sense to me when people completely rule out China because of pollution today. It's the 4th largest country on Earth, how can most of the country be polluted beyond what is considered acceptable for visiting purposes? Unless of course you are only interested in its largest cities.

I'm still young and new to this, but I guess I managed to be in Egypt last spring between some delicate events without seeing much indication of it.
I think the point also - is that the China of 20 years ago, is not the China of today. Between that time China has transformed economically from being a quant backwater to the developed economic powerhouse it is today. You essentially have 1 billion that moved from bicycles to autos in that time. Maybe that's a bit niave, but that is the perception.
I could walk in Shanghai today (I was there a month ago) and think I was in New York City - taxicabs, Kentucy Fried Chicken, Swatch stores...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel