Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:58 PM

32 posts, read 123,477 times

Advertisements

sorry ur trip went so bad ortega.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Amtrak doesn't go everywhere, (well, neither does Greyhound) but Amtrak also has bus transportation in some places. I've heard wonderful things about their busses being clean and running and comfortable. My one and only one experience with Greyhound since the 90's was a local trip from LA to the desert. OMG it was horrible, compounded with a bus driver who didn't speak English. I will never ever take Greyhound again.

I've taken the Sunset Limited and the Southwest Chief seveal times each in the last year and a half and while Amtrak isn't perfect its still a nice ride. I have always been seated officially and they do group passangers by where your getting off, but if you don't want to sit at your seat the observation car is a great place to go, and talk or just enjoy the scenery. Some trains have extended stops where you can get off and check out an area, some stops are very short. And don't be late being back...

But despite the long trips and the boring scenery on some stretches, I love the train. The bus however... I'd rather stay home. And Amtrak is cheaper too.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:32 AM

87 posts, read 235,217 times
The person who asked 'is it that bad?" YES ! (ha). Yes yes yes yes. A resounding yes. Imagine punishment for the worst things you've ever done over a lifetime. Imagine a school bus for 40 hours straight or longer, only MUCH MUCH louder and more profanity. THE WAY PEOPLE BEHAVE ON PUBLIC TRANSPORT is inexcusable and every one of them should have been thrown off. The co. is such a 'monopoly' it certainly doesn't need the money, then. Come on! Enforce the rules, drivers and toss off all the loud inconsiderate cellular phone talkers and loud laughers (do you people REALLY need attention this much? Puhlease! ) No one is impressed with your loud stories (someone suggested to me that they were trying to 'brag' about their escapades.. what?!) No one wants to hear about your 'baby daddy' for 45 hrs, and they don't have to. (The word is 'father of your child', show some respect for yourself and others). All of the unsavory people can walk!

If you have a whiny crying kid, keep it off the bus. Again, it is all about consideration for others and the people riding buses (95% of the time) have no respect for themselves or others.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 PM

87 posts, read 235,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy1256 View Post
sorry ur trip went so bad ortega.
NO NO. Don't take a bus. Did it 40 hrs, 12 STRAIGHT HRS UNABLE TO MOVE on packed bus. Snotty drivers with real attitude problems,.. they need to get another job, and should be fired, every rude one. Kept our feet on our duffle bag on the floor, for hrs and hrs and hrs and hrs. Woman waits til we get all the way to MINNEAPOLIS before turning to me and saying I COUGHED on her. Ha crazy psychos. Of course my hand covered my mouth the entire time. She said to me 'NOW you know' (??)/

Not allowed to put all the crazed and loud and profane in one place.. on a bus. AND.. we don't wanna hear about ' baby daddy' one more time.It's 'father of your child'. And we don't have to. THAT loud talk is permitted on buses. If you need attention that bad, go on stage, but don't ride a bus. All are paying passengers and are entitled to peace and quiet .
If all the nice quiet people would stop taking the bus, they would be forced to make improvements.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Everything you heard is true, but that's half the fun.

There's an awful lot to be said about life on the margins; it seems like Greyhound is a magnet for every vagabond, traveler, bum, n'er-do-well and tragedy case out there. Of course, that's precisely why I love traveling via such methods (I'm an Amtrak man, myself) but to other, more "sterilized" types, I can certainly understand the aversion they might have towards Greyhound. I happen to find it invigorating. I like being surrounded by people with nothing left to lose.
Yeah, I used to be one of the vagabonds. Basic rule: the nearer the back you sit, the more interesting it will get. Sit all the way in the back and you end up sitting with someone like me, who brought a bottle of vodka and will gladly share it with you. If you want safe and sane, sit near the front. If you want to make bus friends, sit near the rear.

Bear in mind that very few people are on the Hound because they prefer it. They chose this over flying, driving, the train or renting a car. In some cases there is a practical reason (stupid to fly 50 miles), but more often there is an economic reason.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Yeah, I used to be one of the vagabonds. Basic rule: the nearer the back you sit, the more interesting it will get. Sit all the way in the back and you end up sitting with someone like me, who brought a bottle of vodka and will gladly share it with you. If you want safe and sane, sit near the front. If you want to make bus friends, sit near the rear.

Bear in mind that very few people are on the Hound because they prefer it. They chose this over flying, driving, the train or renting a car. In some cases there is a practical reason (stupid to fly 50 miles), but more often there is an economic reason.
LOL! You just described me when I used to ride the ol' Grey dog! A little booze goes a long way on those long trips!

You are on point about seat location. And also greyhound is less complicated to deal with. You just go up to the counter, tell em where you are going, get your ticket, and get your tail on the bus.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
I was only 17 but back in 64 when I rode Greyhound from Lakeland, FL to Eugene, OR. 6 Weeks later from I rode from Portland, OR back to Lakeland, FL. Five days and five nights. I don't ever want to do it again.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 PM

32 posts, read 123,477 times
i prefur the front my self on greyhound buses lol i hate sittin next to a drunk!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 AM

20 posts, read 46,532 times
Gonna give this thread a little bump!

I took the Greyhound bus from Sanford, FL to Seattle, WA. It was a long four days (five?) and nights, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Some of the bads: a schizophrenic who buddied up with me (later got kicked off the bus for his profanity), feeling greasy as all hell, fast food restaurant bathrooms, choosing whether to smoke, brush my teeth, or eat at each stop b/c there just wasn't time to do more than one.

Some of the goods: getting to relax with someone else at the wheel, traveling through some of the most beautiful mountains in the country (taco bell in the rocky mtns!), seeing some of the darkest skies with the brightest stars.

I kept a journal with me and jotted down my experiences with people I met and places I saw. It's not a luxurious or glamorous experience. So if you are a princess, don't expect to enjoy the ride. But, if you have a sense of humor, can see the good in most situations, and are a-ok with not looking your sunday best for a few days, then I think you will find it a very unique experience. And, it will make for a great story someday!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:55 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I live in an area where transportation options are limited-no train, limited bus,spotty air service. I appreciate Greyhound,especially their senior fares,which are killer. Ideally, I'd limit bus trips to 8 or 10 hours but will still be open to longer trips. Having recently had the unhappy experience of being dumped in Redding overnight because of the all-too-frequent fog cover preventing landings at Arcata airport, I have already decided that from now I fly to SFO , take the shuttle to Santa Rosa, and Greyhound from there,about four hours. At least I know I'll get there. One thing about buses ,you can generally count on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel