Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:23 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
How would I myself check in 24 hours in advance and save the $12?
You log on the southwest.com and there isa checkout option. You put in your confirmation code and name and check in.
Here is the check in section..I just typed check in Southwest to get in

Southwest Airlines - Checkin Online and Print Boarding Passes

You can then print out your boarding pass.You may even be able to get a boarding pass for your cell phone.
No need to check in at the airport, you go right to security

Re the paying 12 dollars for check in. It's great for someone like my elderly mother. She is clueless about flying and has no computer. THis way, when she visits she skips check in. . It can also be handy for a return flight, when you don'tknow if you will have computer access where you are visiting..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I know it's a bit off topic, but flying in ON THE DAY a cruise departs is risky. Most especially in winter, but really, I'd suggest you reconsider.

We very nearly missed a cruise out of LA when some jerk at the Phoenix airport blasted thru the security check. That shut down the entire terminal and outbound flights for four hours and it took additional hours to slog through the backlog of departing flights. Luckily, there were a lot of people on that ship who were stuck in phoenix, so they held the ship for an hour or two. Otherwise, we would have been screwed. Never again - one day ahead minimum.
I second this post. It's much better to fly in the night before.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I second this post. It's much better to fly in the night before.
or even EARLIER ...

in Hundreds of flights, I only lost my luggage ONCE... it was inbound on a night before a cruise...

You are SUPPOSED to put your Cruise Luggage tags on BEFORE you fly, so they know where to forward your lost luggage. That was a real pain..

I have taken well over 100 SWA flights, They have NEVER lost my bags. (Usually I fly with FREE coolers...swapping Coolers of Salmon for coolers of BEEF.)

I LUV SWA. I keep 3-6 'get-away' tickets booked all the time! Remember to Cancel if you can't travel (New Policy is about a yr old, but I got burnt by the change)

Old 07-12-2014, 03:58 PM

28 posts, read 57,231 times
I fly Southwest 2-4 times a week and I love them. I never have a problem and while planes can still be late, their record is much better than most.

That having been said, anyone flying SW for the first time better be aware of how the planes are boarded. There are no reserved seats. You pick whatever available seat you want when you board. The trick is the earlier you board, the better choice of seat you have. You do get assigned a boarding number on your boarding pass and that determines where you are in line to board. Basically, the earlier you book and the earlier you check-in (within the 24hr check-in period), the sooner you will be boarding. If you buy the Business Select ticket, you will be one of the first 15 people boarding. The A group always gets a window or aisle if they want. Ditto for most of the B group. Most of the C group will generally be sitting in a missile seat.

Some people complain loudly about this system (i repeatedly hear the term cattle call) but I love it. People have great incentive to board quickly and find a seat. Planes then leave on time, land on time, etc. This method allows SW to get one more flight out of every airplane per day and that keeps their profits good and fares low.

They make boarding exceptions/allowances for handicap, families with young children and Rewards members. For example I fly so much that I am an "A-Plus Preferred" member. I can buy the cheapest tickets and am almost always in the A16-30 group. Even if I book real late or just boarded on standby, my member status allows me to board before the B Group. And I get free drinks and free wifi. I love SW.

Just make sure you can handle the cattle call (lining up can be confusing your first time but ask any passenger and they will help you).

Old 07-12-2014, 03:59 PM

28 posts, read 57,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajalvarez2 View Post
I fly Southwest 2-4 times a week and I love them. I never have a problem and while planes can still be late, their record is much better than most.

That having been said, anyone flying SW for the first time better be aware of how the planes are boarded. There are no reserved seats. You pick whatever available seat you want when you board. The trick is the earlier you board, the better choice of seat you have. You do get assigned a boarding number on your boarding pass and that determines where you are in line to board. Basically, the earlier you book and the earlier you check-in (within the 24hr check-in period), the sooner you will be boarding. If you buy the Business Select ticket, you will be one of the first 15 people boarding. The A group always gets a window or aisle if they want. Ditto for most of the B group. Most of the C group will generally be sitting in a missile seat.

Some people complain loudly about this system (i repeatedly hear the term cattle call) but I love it. People have great incentive to board quickly and find a seat. Planes then leave on time, land on time, etc. This method allows SW to get one more flight out of every airplane per day and that keeps their profits good and fares low.

They make boarding exceptions/allowances for handicap, families with young children and Rewards members. For example I fly so much that I am an "A-Plus Preferred" member. I can buy the cheapest tickets and am almost always in the A16-30 group. Even if I book real late or just boarded on standby, my member status allows me to board before the B Group. And I get free drinks and free wifi. I love SW.

Just make sure you can handle the cattle call (lining up can be confusing your first time but ask any passenger and they will help you).
Ooops. Meant middle seat. Not missile seat.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajalvarez2 View Post

It is pretty much like many of us did in kindergarten - when they call your group, you get in line by number. Then you choose the seat you want and sit down.

After twelve years of Southwest only, it was unbelievable how SLOW boarding on American was last month.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,509 times
Thanks to all for your help. Now I understand what to do. I did book my round trip in the "wanna get away" category. I will check in and get the boarding pass 24 hours in advance. It's not a very long flight so even if I get the middle seat it's not a tragedy.

The price with southwest was much less than the other airlines and being retired I try to save where I can.

I know they don't give you food anymore but can you buy a coffee or soda onboard? I haven't been on an airliner for 16 years so I know security is especially tight. Is it a wise move to get the TSA locks for my bags or will the regular ones I have be okay?

Thanks

Old 07-12-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
Thanks to all for your help. Now I understand what to do. I did book my round trip in the "wanna get away" category. I will check in and get the boarding pass 24 hours in advance. It's not a very long flight so even if I get the middle seat it's not a tragedy.

The price with southwest was much less than the other airlines and being retired I try to save where I can.

I know they don't give you food anymore but can you buy a coffee or soda onboard? I haven't been on an airliner for 16 years so I know security is especially tight. Is it a wise move to get the TSA locks for my bags or will the regular ones I have be okay?

Thanks
You will get soda/juice and snacks for free, just no meal

Be prepared to possibly see wierd stuff on your flight. I have seen flight attendants sing, tell jokes etc over the loudspeaker

Old 07-12-2014, 08:04 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Personally, I do not like Southwest.

Everywhere SW is, there is a crowd of humanity.

Their lines for everything are LONG AS HECK.

I have flown Delta, United, AA from their hubs and never dealt with a line as long as SW at a non-hub.

Their boarding process sucks. It's nice to be able to pick a seat in advance.

Honestly, I try to avoid them. Just too many people. The free checked bags thing is nice, but honestly it's worth paying $25 not to have to wait in giant lines.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
Coffee/tea/soda/water is free. On my recent flight, they handed out peanuts and little honey-graham crackers. Most airlines, including Southwest, are cash-less cabins now. If you want to buy an alcoholic drink, you will need a credit or debit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel