U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times

Advertisements

You may run into a gate agent or flight attendant on assorted airlines who won't allow you to board with a cup of hot coffee over concerns that it could be a skin burn hazard if it spills during take-off. If you want more to drink than the usual smallish airplane drinks, best to fill up a water bottle or buy a bottled soft drink at the airport once you've gone through security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 AM

490 posts, read 895,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
You log on the southwest.com and there isa checkout option. You put in your confirmation code and name and check in.
Here is the check in section..I just typed check in Southwest to get in

Southwest Airlines - Checkin Online and Print Boarding Passes

You can then print out your boarding pass.You may even be able to get a boarding pass for your cell phone.
No need to check in at the airport, you go right to security

Re the paying 12 dollars for check in. It's great for someone like my elderly mother. She is clueless about flying and has no computer. THis way, when she visits she skips check in. . It can also be handy for a return flight, when you don'tknow if you will have computer access where you are visiting..
Okay, here's another question. The 24hrs before I fly home at the end of my vacation I will be on a cruise ship. How would I check in and print boarding passes for my return flight home?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,835,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
Okay, here's another question. The 24hrs before I fly home at the end of my vacation I will be on a cruise ship. How would I check in and print boarding passes for my return flight home?
That would be a great time to pay the $12.50 for the automatic check in. Then just print your boarding pass at the airport.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 AM

15,071 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That would be a great time to pay the $12.50 for the automatic check in. Then just print your boarding pass at the airport.
Or just go to the kiosk at the check in desk and print it out for free. Seriously, weve never had any trouble being the last bunch to board except RARELY not being able to sit together or having our carryon luggage taken by the airline at the end of the jetway becauwe all the overheads were filled.

I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

David, enjoy your cruise!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,141,418 times
My Going Guess you are going to have Check-ed Bags...

Spend a few $ go to the Cruise Line computer center, and Check-in, Get your boarding passed on the ship.

SouthWest at FLL has VERY LONG lines at the SouthWest check-in counters, since most of the passengers also got off your ship. (And Need to print out there boarding passes)

With your pre-printed boarding passes you can go to Express Bag Drop and skip the long lines.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Or just go to the kiosk at the check in desk and print it out for free. Seriously, weve never had any trouble being the last bunch to board except RARELY not being able to sit together or having our carryon luggage taken by the airline at the end of the jetway becauwe all the overheads were filled.

I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

David, enjoy your cruise!
Sure, if the other poster doesn't care where they sit on the plane, that's certainly an option. Personally, I prefer to sit toward the front of the plane in an aisle seat. That means getting in an early boarding group. Anyone who has strong seating preferences needs to check in early.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 AM

556 posts, read 761,732 times
Quote:
Thanks to all for your help. Now I understand what to do. I did book my round trip in the "wanna get away" category. I will check in and get the boarding pass 24 hours in advance. It's not a very long flight so even if I get the middle seat it's not a tragedy.

The price with southwest was much less than the other airlines and being retired I try to save where I can.

I know they don't give you food anymore but can you buy a coffee or soda onboard? I haven't been on an airliner for 16 years so I know security is especially tight. Is it a wise move to get the TSA locks for my bags or will the regular ones I have be okay?

Thanks
I never bother locking my bags - I don't put anything worth stealing in my checked bags. All electronic and jewelry go in my carry-on. If someone wants to steal my underware, they're welcome to it. If you do feel the need to lock your bags, you definitely need the TSA approved locks. If you do not use the approved locks, the TSA with either cut the lock off, or they will call you bag to the ticket counter to unlock the bag.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,834,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I never bother locking my bags - I don't put anything worth stealing in my checked bags. All electronic and jewelry go in my carry-on. If someone wants to steal my underware, they're welcome to it. If you do feel the need to lock your bags, you definitely need the TSA approved locks. If you do not use the approved locks, the TSA with either cut the lock off, or they will call you bag to the ticket counter to unlock the bag.
Agreed. Locking your suitcase just makes it a target, because it is prerceived as having something of value in it.

I experimented with this a few years back. Egyptian airport security took a bolt cutters, cut my lock and searched the suitcase just like all of the others.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:15 AM

28 posts, read 42,779 times
Quote:
Get the free Southwest app for your smart phone. You can check in with your phone at the appropriate time and you don't need to print out a boarding pass. You can have it sent to your phone through the app or via email or text. It takes five seconds. They scan your cell phone screen at security and at boarding. Quick and easy.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajalvarez2 View Post
Get the free Southwest app for your smart phone. You can check in with your phone at the appropriate time and you don't need to print out a boarding pass. You can have it sent to your phone through the app or via email or text. It takes five seconds. They scan your cell phone screen at security and at boarding. Quick and easy.
If OP is on a cruise ship, it's likely he won't have a signal to be able to use the app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or