U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:42 PM

490 posts, read 894,159 times

Advertisements

I haven't been on an airline in years so bare with me. Looking at Southwest Airlines to book online they offer three ways to book a flight. If I book on the much cheaper fare category "Gotta Get Away" is my flight reserved or will I be on standby. I know if you cancel, you loose your money but I wouldn't cancel because I would be going on a cruise that day. If a person is sure they will go is "gotta get away" a great way to save?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 06:56 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,420,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I haven't been on an airline in years so bare with me. Looking at Southwest Airlines to book online they offer three ways to book a flight. If I book on the much cheaper fare category "Gotta Get Away" is my flight reserved or will I be on standby. I know if you cancel, you loose your money but I wouldn't cancel because I would be going on a cruise that day. If a person is sure they will go is "gotta get away" a great way to save?
It's a regular fare not standby. If you do cancel Southwest holds the funds in an account and lets you use them on another flight

Old 07-11-2014, 07:01 PM

963 posts, read 1,523,203 times
No, it's not standby. I just traveled to and from San Diego on the lowest fare. The real issue is when you check in. You should probably pay the extra money to check in 24 hours in advance ($12), or upgrade to an A-level boarding section ($40, I think). Although I've never been denied a seat based on being in the C boarding group, it's certainly possible you could get bumped. Perhaps someone with more experience flying Southwest could answer the question more effectively.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,420,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
No, it's not standby. I just traveled to and from San Diego on the lowest fare. The real issue is when you check in. You should probably pay the extra money to either check in 24 hours in advance ($12), or upgrade to an A-level boarding section ($40, I think). Although I've never been denied a seat based on being in the "C" boarding group, it's certainly possible you could get bumped. Perhaps someone with more experience flying Southwest could answer the question more effectively.
Anyone can check in 24 hours in advance, paying the 12 just means southwest does it for you. I always check in at the 24 hour mark and get B boarding group

I've never seen anyone in C denied a seat. I have seen the occasional overbooked plane where they do an open call and ask someone to give up their seat for $$$$$

Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,831,065 times
If you click on one of the column headers, you'll see a graphic that explains the difference in the levels. "Wanna Get Away" is not standby. The big difference between WGA and "Anytime" is that WGA is not refundable.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 PM

556 posts, read 761,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If you click on one of the column headers, you'll see a graphic that explains the difference in the levels. "Wanna Get Away" is not standby. The big difference between WGA and "Anytime" is that WGA is not refundable.
Even the non-refundable tickets from Southwest are far more flexible that the standard ticket on other airlines. With Wanna Get Away, you can still "exchange" a ticket dollar for dollar. For example, I booked a ticket for Thanksgiving several years ago, then my family change our plans. So, I cancelled the ticket and use the credit toward Christmas travel. My ticket for Christmas was $10 more than the one I cancelled, so I had to pay the difference. I did not have to pay any change fees or penalties.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,129,667 times
You Do need to Cancel - No show's lose the value of tickets. (I think it up to must be done at least 10m before flight time).

Old 07-11-2014, 09:48 PM

490 posts, read 894,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Anyone can check in 24 hours in advance, paying the 12 just means southwest does it for you. I always check in at the 24 hour mark and get B boarding group

I've never seen anyone in C denied a seat. I have seen the occasional overbooked plane where they do an open call and ask someone to give up their seat for $$$$$
How would I myself check in 24 hours in advance and save the $12?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:20 PM

248 posts, read 506,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
How would I myself check in 24 hours in advance and save the $12?
You go to Southwest.com and type in your confirmation number. There will be a tab for check in. If you check in exactly 24 hours ahead of your flight, you will get a B number or maybe an A if you are lucky.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:42 AM

15,066 posts, read 18,997,066 times
I know it's a bit off topic, but flying in ON THE DAY a cruise departs is risky. Most especially in winter, but really, I'd suggest you reconsider.

We very nearly missed a cruise out of LA when some jerk at the Phoenix airport blasted thru the security check. That shut down the entire terminal and outbound flights for four hours and it took additional hours to slog through the backlog of departing flights. Luckily, there were a lot of people on that ship who were stuck in phoenix, so they held the ship for an hour or two. Otherwise, we would have been screwed. Never again - one day ahead minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or