U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 AM

19 posts, read 53,544 times

Advertisements

I'm currently on traveling abroad on vacation, but the home my family is staying in got robbed today. I have my debit and credit cards with me, but the robber likely got access to my personal information and may have taken my checkbook and seen my bank account information. I called the banks and they suggested I freeze my account and come to the banks and open new accounts. However, I need my Chase credit card to purchase airline flights and hotel bookings, and my Bank of America debit card to withdraw cash from ATM machines. Any ideas of what else I can do other than check my accounts frequently to report suspicious transactions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
The banks and cards should be able to close those accounts and transfer everything to new ones and FedEx new cards to you.

I don't understand the need to purchase airline tickets--you have already begun the travel, right? As far as hotels, you can book with one card and pay with another when you arrive.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:21 PM

19 posts, read 53,544 times
i am in singapore now and have already booked a flight for china next week. I'm not sure how long I'll stay in china. i'll be staying with my friend at his dorm in china. so I should just fedex the nw cards there?

Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 PM

63 posts, read 105,169 times
The atm cards have your pin information on the back, if they weren't compromised, you are ok on that front. If your actual account number is compromised, they should be able to transfer your debit card information to a new account and just transfer the balance to the new number. I would contact customer service and have someone monitor your account for any ACH withdrawls. Likewise for any wires. Give them a list of what is acceptable and which is not. They should do this until you come back. But I would make it a priority to change it asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or